Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone think the basic seats are uncomfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 04:45 PM
tbrom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well they're not the most comfy - I had a 993 and it was great - so was my 87 Turbo Look and my 83 SC Targa for that matter, not too mention my NSX (by far the most comfortable of all the seats mentioned here). You'd think with all the other improvements Porsche continues to make they'd get the seats right - kind of strange if you ask me. I'm trying to get used to them but it's not easy.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:14 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
I find the basic and full power 997/987 seats to be terrible. Big contrast from the 986/996, which I always loved. They have too much lumbar even with it full deflated, it kills my back over a long trip. I drove a 997 from NC to KS and cursed the seats for my entire trip.
I agree. When I first bought my 987.2 Boxster I was cursing the seats all the way home on the 2.5 hour drive from the dealer. The geometry was wrong for me with too much dish in the butt area and too much re-curve in the lumbar area. Even though these were the 12-way power seats which allowed for a lot of different adjustments I ended up putting a wedged shape pillow on the seat to get me out of the "pit". I am about 5'-9" and 160 but I do have back issues so any seat on a very long drive will get me squirming a bit. As someone above said the power seat option is a plus if you have back issues because you can make adjustments to relieve pressure points.

When I got my 981 BS with the 14 way seats I found them to be more comfortable, different geometry and less dish in the seat. With these seats I no longer need a pillow. I would always opt for a power adjustable seat to have the ability to make small adjustments on the fly. Of course everyone's body is different and everyone will have a different opinion of what is comfortable.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:07 AM
clefan99
1st Gear

I was glad to see this thread (well, glad only in that I'm not the only one). I recently put a deposit down on a 981 build and am considering not purchasing it because I didnt like the way the seats felt. I even tried the 14way and 18 way and they all felt too snug to me. I'm 5'11" 190lbs with wide shoulders but I dont remember my 987.2 standard seats feeling as poorly as the new seats do. I also just recently looked at a 997.2 and the seats in it were very comfortable.

I'm going to have to go back to the dealer and spend some more time but I had my heart set on the 981 and now that appears to be slipping away.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought the stock seats in the 981s were pretty good, with or without the 14 way power adjustments. My wife didn't think they were as comfortable as the Sport Plus seats, so we opted for the Sport Plus seats, which have more bolstering.

Wishing the OP luck resolving his seat issue.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:53 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

It looks like being medium in height and weight has its advantages. I find the 981 seats to be very comfortable, especially for a sports car.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:16 PM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by Dino944
I thought the stock seats in the 981s were pretty good, with or without the 14 way power adjustments. My wife didn't think they were as comfortable as the Sport Plus seats, so we opted for the Sport Plus seats, which have more bolstering.

Wishing the OP luck resolving his seat issue.
Dino, what are the "sports plus seats"? Are those the same as he 18 way adaptive sport seats? Can you post a picture?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by tbrom
Dino, what are the "sports plus seats"? Are those the same as he 18 way adaptive sport seats? Can you post a picture?

Thanks
They are basically the same as the 18 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus, but without all the power adjustments. If you give me power seats I can spend the next 10 years adjusting them and never quite find a truly comfortable seating position. Give me manual adjustments and boom! I have a comfortable seating position in 5 seconds. Also, I like to slide the seat all the way back to make getting out easier and I hate waiting "10 minutes" for the seats to slide back all the way or forward again with power adjustments for that.

I haven't taken too many interior photos but here are a few that I took around the time of delivery or at the dealer. Hopefully it gives you and idea of the bolstering. My wife liked this a lot more than the standard seats & 14 way adjustable. She didn't think the 18 ways made any real difference in comfort for her. You should see if a dealer near you has them and try the various seats in a back to back comparison. If you think more photos would help, I can always try to snap a few more this weekend.
The photos may be a bit bit washed out by sunlight sorry.
Best regards,
Dino

Old 12-07-2014, 11:41 PM
tbrom
Racer

Thanks Dino! These pics really help but like you say I need to sit in some to really feel the difference. I've always loved the look and I know you must love sitting in them. Your interior looks great! These cars are fantastic!

One question - did you sit in the standard seats? If so do you sport seats seem to pinch in on your sides as much as the standard seats? Thanks again Dino!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Dino944
Drifting

One question - did you sit in the standard seats? If so do you sport seats seem to pinch in on your sides as much as the standard seats? Thanks again Dino!
Yes, we did sit in the standard seats many test drives. We also spent an extended test drive (4 days) with a car that had the 14 way power seats. My wife preferred the sport seat plus.

If you are sort of broad, you might not find the sport seat plus any better than the standard or 14 way seats. The Sport Seat Plus has more bolstering. I find they hold you in a bit more than the standard seat. I wouldn't describe them as pinching, although I don't think I would have described the standard seats as pinching. Also, some people with very broad shoulders felt the sport seat plus and adaptive 18 way seats were more restrictive in the shoulder area due to the extra bolstering. I didn't have any issues with it. As mentioned, we chose the sport seats plus largely because my wife found them more comfortable.

Your best bet is go to a dealer and sit in cars with the various seats for a back to back comparison.

Good luck and best regards,
Dino
Old 12-09-2014, 01:39 AM
tbrom
Racer

Thanks Dino, I appreciate your insight...
Old 12-09-2014, 09:21 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Sports seats plus with memory. Heated and cooled. I have to use a cushion for drives over two hours or else I am in mucho pain. Seats are too hard for my old back.

Best
Old 12-09-2014, 09:31 PM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
Sports seats plus with memory. Heated and cooled. I have to use a cushion for drives over two hours or else I am in mucho pain. Seats are too hard for my old back.

Best
Hey Phil, good to know - what seats do you have? Thanks
Old 12-10-2014, 01:24 AM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Hey Phil, good to know - what seats do you have? Thanks
The power seats with 3 memory settings. Heated and cooled. Hard.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:01 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just picked up a 2007 Boxster S with the 18 way adaptive sport seats. Absolute night and day difference in comfort, they are just about a must have option. I'm 6'1" and 225 lbs, I didn't find the sport bolsters to restrict my fat ***.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Make sure you leave enough room behind the seat to angle it back. I find they are more comfortable in a less-upright position.

Quick Reply: Does anyone think the basic seats are uncomfortable?