Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:32 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Finally!

Its been a long journey, but I am happy to say that I have taken possession of an '11 Spyder today.

I fell in love with the Spyder after driving one at the Porsche Driving Experience, and hearing all the instructors at the PDE rave about the car. At the time, I seriously considered buying one, but the allocations were pretty much all gone at that point so I was having to pick from dealer stock, and didn't find quite the right one for me. My ideal car was white with PDK, A/C and the carbon fiber buckets, with a black interior. The closest one I found was with the red interior and it just wasn't quite what I was looking for so eventually I went into denial and contented myself with my 1992 968 cab "Spyder prototype" (limited production cab).

Why PDK? Simple... the performance is mind blowing, and as Hurley Haywood told me personally, there really is no reason aside from nostalgia to pick a manual transmission. I understand the "I feel connected" argument the manual tranny folks use, and have no qualms with anyone who feels that way, but I am not buying the Spyder to please the masses, I am buying it for "me" and I am picking performance over "personality". If it turns out that PDK hurts the resale of the car down the road, I really don't care., its not an investment in anything except "satisfaction" and I expect that this car, like almost all the other cars I have bought will be in the stable for a long long time and see a lot of use.

Anyway... I've kept an eye on the used Spyder market since then, and occasionally contemplated a Cayman R, but just never got to the point where I was ready to make the jump, until Oct when I happened to notice Pete C's ad. The car was as perfectly optioned as I would have hoped, it was low mileage, had a clear bra already on it and a seller with a good reputation. Also a plus for this deal was that it would be handled through Pete's local dealership, Porsche of the Main Line and could be CPO'd.

A quick call to Pete, and I could tell pretty quick that he's passionate about cars and sounded like a straight shooter to me. He answered my questions (honestly, I had very few questions so that wasn't a huge hardship for him) and I was convinced that this could really be the one. After a relatively short period of time to reflect on the deal, I told Pete that I was ready to move forward.

Pete got me in touch with Lee DeMascio at Main Line, we had a brief discussion about details of the transaction, I arranged to wire a deposit and we set a date for me to pick the car up.

Today was the "big" day! Pete picked me up at my hotel and drove us to the dealership, and then Pete and Lee showed me the car, and while I didn't pour over every detail of the car, it appears to be every bit the perfect specimen that Pete advertised it as, and I am very pleased, both with the car and the transaction.

Part of the fun of getting a new member of the stable, in my opinion, is the initial adventure of driving it to its new home, which is the plan here as well. I am currently in the Philadelphia area tonight, familiarizing myself with the car and enjoying some of the local cuisine and tomorrow my wife flies in and then we will start driving towards Kansas City. To say the least, I am pretty stoked about it.

I realize pictures are a usually a requested component on threads like these, and I'll see about getting around to it once I get home. In the meantime, I thought I'd let everyone know where Pete's car is off to.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Congratulations Scott, it's finally official! Looking forward to seeing the beauty once it arrives and it certainly will be nice to have another Spyder here in KC.

Have a fun and safe trip back home and make sure you find the curvy roads and skip the highways.

Enjoy in good health!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:26 AM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome Scott !

Donn
Old 11-05-2014, 09:56 AM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 9 Posts

Congratulations! Take it to an autocross day if you get a chance - that's when you'll really be amazed :-)
Old 11-05-2014, 11:20 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Wowza, congrats!! You bought an excellent car!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Pete C
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

Hey Scott,

Thanks again for making it a very simple transaction. Glad it all came together so easily. Hope you and your wife enjoy the car as much as we did.
Look forward to seeing it in action!!

Any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:43 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Congratulations to the seller and the buyer.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:54 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats! I almost bought YOUR car and agree Pete is a great individual. I ended up buying one closer to home with a few other items I wanted.

Enjoy your terrific Spyder and welcome to the club.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:18 AM
Pete C
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

Scott - I'll insert a quick picture for you that I snapped as I was leaving the dealership Tuesday.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Excellent choice Scott! Welcome to the somewhat elite club of Spyder ownership. It is an awesome car. PDK? MT? Who cares. Go and drive it like you stole it.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:03 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations Scott! You got a beaut! Glad to see it stay in the rennlist family
Old 11-06-2014, 03:01 PM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete C
Scott - I'll insert a quick picture for you that I snapped as I was leaving the dealership Tuesday.
nice...

Donn
Old 11-06-2014, 04:52 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats Scott! A Spyder is on my short list of cars to own.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

she's a beaut!
Old 11-07-2014, 01:29 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Well, we made it home.

Current mileage is around 5,600, so I've managed to put about 1300 miles on it in two days. If you haven't done that with your Spyder yet, I'd heartily recommend it, at least once. Its a fabulous way to get to know your car and really bond with it. I'm completely sold, these are phenomenal cars that are begging to be driven.

Pete, has your wife noticed the vacant spot in the garage yet?

I'll post pictures later tonight.

Quick Reply: Finally!