Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a loaner car with this interior?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 04:20 PM
Porshatt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Would you buy a loaner car with this interior?

This is a dark blue 2014 Cayman S with 8k miles. It was used as a loaner car by the dealer. It has rare Grey/white dual leather seats. Seats are the most basic one, just two-way adjustable. No navigation either. Would you buy this car?
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2014, 04:27 PM
RedBarron
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must live in Orlando
Old 10-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Do the options, other than no Nav, meet your criteria?
If the car is not your definition of "perfect", you might find that down the road you will have some regrets that you didn't wait for the perfect car.
I personally would accept some level of "less than perfect" if there was a large enough price discount.

Also, for a car that new but with so many miles of varying use (being a loaner), I would want a printout of the engine overrevs, maybe new rear tires, and certainly a full warranty.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Porshatt
Advanced

The car has these options.
Convenience package (A/C, seat heating)
Bose Audio (without PCM)
PASM
Sport Steering wheel
Bi-Xenon with PDLS
Light design package

Best thing about it is CPO.

When it is time for me to sell, would it be a difficult sale because of this interior colors?

Last edited by Porshatt; 10-14-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:52 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you like it, buy it. I've seen cars with far worse interior colors (in my opinion) and they've sold.

Personally I like 2 tone interiors.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:06 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

I bought my 981 Cayman S off the lot. It came down to the car I own and another Red Cayman S with similar options. The only difference was the red had the same interior as the car you are looking at, and the one I bought had basic black interior, the sport steering wheel (almost necessary with PDK) and sport exhaust.

Honestly I really liked the two tone interior but I couldn't pass on the steering wheel and exhaust.

Here is a link to the red Cayman.

http://www.porscheofcoloradosprings....n-s-c-305.htm?
Old 10-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Porshatt
Advanced

I think two tone interior emphasizes that this is a sports car. It fits the spirit of Caymans. It tells you that this is a fun car, not a luxury prestige vehicle.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

loaners lived a hard life with many uncaring short term drivers. I would pass on any color combo
Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

It's a unusual colour combination and even more unusual being a 3 pedal MT. Fewer and fewer people drive a manual so I am surprised it is a loaner vehicle.

Not seeing the car in person is tough so I can't really comment on what the whole color package looks like. It's probably really nice. My biggest concern would be keeping the interior clean, but maybe that's no big deal.

You can also add:
- PSE
- X73 Sport Suspension which will lower it down by another 10mm.

I drove a basic Cayman and LOVED it.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Porshatt
Advanced

Originally Posted by PasPar2
loaners lived a hard life with many uncaring short term drivers. I would pass on any color combo
I drive loaner vehicles more carefully than mine. I am sure a few people stalled the engine or went over the potholes without care. That's why it comes with a remaining 5 year warranty and 10k below MSRP.

Last edited by Porshatt; 10-15-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Porshatt
I drive loaner vehicles more carefully than mine. I am sure a few people stalled the engine or went over the potholes without care. That's why it comes with a remaining 5 year warranty and 10k below MSRP.
For me the issue isn't the color combination. We liked the agate & pebble with Dark Metallic Blue (and ordered it but full leather interior and don't regret it a bit). Everyone has a black or tan interior...I like something that looks a bit different from 85% of the other Caymans or Boxsters that get ordered.

My only issue is it being a loaner car. How many cold start full throttle launches did people do in this car, and was it broken in properly? Its great that you are really careful with loaners but a lot of people are not. If you don't plan to keep it longer than the CPO warranty than it won't matter anyway. The idea of buying a loaner would make me nervous, but if your ok with it, go for it!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:43 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

I don't think the loaner issue is a big deal. Granted my Cayman was a dealer demo so I might be slightly biased. If anything, it means that Porsche gave me the 6 year 100k mile warranty because it had 2000 miles on it when I purchased the car.

Any used car could be abused. That's the risk buying used. But abuse doesn't necessarily equate to a shorter life of the car. A car babied from the beginning could still have the engine grenade at anytime. Also, just look at the debate that is always going on between following the factory break-in procedures versus driving it like you stole as soon as you drive it off the lot.

How did the dealer treat you during a test drive? My salesman started the car and let it warm up while we walked around it and talked. Then he asked me to take it easy for the first few miles before opening it up. We did this for all of the cars I drove that day. Obviously it doesn't mean every test drive of the car was the same, but it might give you a feel for how the car was cared for in general.

If you plan on keeping the car for longer than the remaining warranty then maybe it's a slightly higher risk. I most likely will sell my Cayman after only 3-4 years of ownership so the car will still have 2 years left of the Porsche CPO warranty. Therefore, in my situation the demo issue doesn't really come into play.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree that the fact of it being a demo doesnt really matter unless you plan to keep the car out of warranty.

Here is a base 2013 Boxster with the same interior, being advertised for $42.9 with 7k miles, and full CPO. Great deal in my opinion!
http://bend.porschedealer.com/certif...63681/info.php

Btw, I like the two tone look!
Old 10-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Porshatt
Advanced

Here is the over rev report

Region 1 ignitions: 653 hours: 238
Region 2 ignitions: 6 hours: 98
Region 3 ignitions: 0 hours: 0
Region 4 ignitions: 0 hours: 0
Region 5 ignitions: 0 hours: 0
Region 6 ignitions: 0 hours: 0

Can someone tell me what these number mean?
Old 10-15-2014, 07:05 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the 981 follows the 987 this will give you an idea.

http://www.planet-9.com/faq.php?faq=...ta#faq_overrev

When I was searching I was told range 1 and 2 were fine.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a loaner car with this interior?