Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman R parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cayman R parts

It looks like I may be gutting my Cayman R this winter to fully convert it to a track-only car. I have a lot of parts that surely have some value but I have no idea how much they're worth and whether they're worth keeping or selling. Can you guys offer any advice? Here's what will be on the list:

Cayman R wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires and sensors with 535 miles on them and in PERFECT condition. Would I be better off selling these separately?

OEM LSD with 535 miles on it.

OEM Aero (Cayman R front splitter and rear wing)

Sport bucket seats in excellent condition.

OEM Suspension with 535 miles on it.

OEM exhaust system with 535 miles on it.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 583 Posts

Pics of the seats? Interested...
Old 08-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Zeus993- I don't have pics of anything yet but I can get them eventually. They're the OEM sport buckets. Carbon fiber backs, side airbags, seatback folds forward. I think these are known as GT2 seats. They are in nearly perfect condition. But, hey, you're in YVR!! I can't imagine it would be worth it to ship them out there. In any case, I probably won't tackle this project until November or December.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:11 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about door cards with alcantara or other interior bits? Black int?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:55 PM
wildwill
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
It looks like I may be gutting my Cayman R this winter to fully convert it to a track-only car. I have a lot of parts that surely have some value but I have no idea how much they're worth and whether they're worth keeping or selling. Can you guys offer any advice? Here's what will be on the list:

Cayman R wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires and sensors with 535 miles on them and in PERFECT condition. Would I be better off selling these separately?

OEM LSD with 535 miles on it.

OEM Aero (Cayman R front splitter and rear wing)

Sport bucket seats in excellent condition.

OEM Suspension with 535 miles on it.

OEM exhaust system with 535 miles on it.
Where are you located?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:14 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Zeus993- I don't have pics of anything yet but I can get them eventually. They're the OEM sport buckets. Carbon fiber backs, side airbags, seatback folds forward. I think these are known as GT2 seats. They are in nearly perfect condition. But, hey, you're in YVR!! I can't imagine it would be worth it to ship them out there. In any case, I probably won't tackle this project until November or December.
Easy to ship to Seattle. I have an office down there and lots of good shops around to install. Maybe not that hard to install?
Old 08-19-2014, 02:51 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Here's another thought - I just saw a fully race prepped Cayman in the classifieds for $85k. No way you could build one for less. Sell your Cayman R and buy one that's already finished. Save time and money.

The sport bucket seats are highly desirable and sell for $6k - $7k these days. Maybe more with the alcantara inserts. Simple to install - four bolts and a couple wire connectors. I'm not sure if a 991/981 variant will make it to the US or not. You may want to keep those!

The LSD you might be able to sell. Or send it to Guard and have it rebuilt.

The aero might sell. I may be interested in the front splitter if it's Cararra White.

The wheels and tires should sell if priced right. Particularly if they are the lightweight Spyder wheels. I would guess $3500 - $4k at the most.

The suspension an exhaust likely will not sell. People looking to upgrade will go aftermarket.

Other interior bits will be hit or miss. Mooty just stripped a Cayman R and listed parts for sale. Not sure what actually got sold. Like I mentioned above - might be easier to sell the car in stock condition and buy a race car. A 6-speed with GT2 seats should sell fairly easily.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:55 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Easy to ship to Seattle. I have an office down there and lots of good shops around to install. Maybe not that hard to install?
Not hard at all. Just need the correct size torx (I think, I'd have to look) bit. DIY instructions are on 6speed or P-9. Might take an hour if you are slow and it's 130 degrees in the garage. After you've done it once, it's maybe 10 minutes per seat.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

RayDBonz-- That is what I wanted to hear. Thank you! It sounds like there is some value in most of this stuff. That's good news because I would really like to upgrade to an enclosed trailer and a little extra cash would help that effort!

I bought this car used with 535 miles on it. It was in PERFECT condition. I installed a new suspension, brakes, LSD and exhaust in this car last winter. I've used it as a DE car all year. It's awesome and it's a keeper. I now want to finish the build by gutting it, caging it, and making it race-ready. I intentionally chose to do this in two stages and now I'm looking forward to completing the job. I have track dates scheduled through early November so the work won't begin, and the parts won't be available, before then. Some parts (the LSD, suspension and exhaust) were taken out when the car was basically new.

I am in Boston.

I'm pretty sure the seats have the alcantara inserts. They are definitely not leather. I have a 2011 Cayman S with sport seats and I don't think I want to put the sport buckets in that car. I like having the heated seats on cold mornings! And I don't take that car to the track.

The entire interior will be removed when the car is stripped.

The car is Cararra White.

If anyone is interested in any of this stuff PM me. Once I figure out when all the stuff will be available I will let you know. You'd have to wait a while. Probably until December.

I'm not going to send the OEM LSD to Guard because I already have one of their LSD's in the car.

I live in Boston.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Cysco
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I might be interested in the full aero kit. Could you PM me the price?

Also, the Exhaust. is this the "normal" one or the Porsche Sport Exhaust?

Cheers!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 597 Likes on 267 Posts

He's right on the money. The seats are valuable and are at least $5K as replacement cost is near twice that.

I have several Cayman R aero kits, some new with paint and I can't get anyone to offer me $2K at all. These were are $3500 things as an after sale item.

The only value the shocks are to someone with an S that does their own wrenching. No one will pay a shop like us 5-6 hours to swap shocks that are essentially shorter and stiffer supposedly.

RayDBonz's intel is all spot on. It's nice to have another Cayman cross to the "other side." Cheers!

John

P.S. Post pics of the build and info!

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Here's another thought - I just saw a fully race prepped Cayman in the classifieds for $85k. No way you could build one for less. Sell your Cayman R and buy one that's already finished. Save time and money.

The sport bucket seats are highly desirable and sell for $6k - $7k these days. Maybe more with the alcantara inserts. Simple to install - four bolts and a couple wire connectors. I'm not sure if a 991/981 variant will make it to the US or not. You may want to keep those!

The LSD you might be able to sell. Or send it to Guard and have it rebuilt.

The aero might sell. I may be interested in the front splitter if it's Cararra White.

The wheels and tires should sell if priced right. Particularly if they are the lightweight Spyder wheels. I would guess $3500 - $4k at the most.

The suspension an exhaust likely will not sell. People looking to upgrade will go aftermarket.

Other interior bits will be hit or miss. Mooty just stripped a Cayman R and listed parts for sale. Not sure what actually got sold. Like I mentioned above - might be easier to sell the car in stock condition and buy a race car. A 6-speed with GT2 seats should sell fairly easily.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Not hard at all. Just need the correct size torx (I think, I'd have to look) bit. DIY instructions are on 6speed or P-9. Might take an hour if you are slow and it's 130 degrees in the garage. After you've done it once, it's maybe 10 minutes per seat.
PM Sent...
Old 08-21-2014, 12:25 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Hey John. Thanks for the info and the support. I've had some interest in nearly everything that will be coming out of the car except for trim pieces and the like. Still trying to figure out prices for everything.

I'm a big fan of yours and the guys at BGB. You've pioneered some fantastic work on Caymans. Thank you for pushing the envelope so hard and sharing with us what has worked and what hasn't. I will post pics of the build once we get started.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:43 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey John. Thanks for the info and the support. I've had some interest in nearly everything that will be coming out of the car except for trim pieces and the like. Still trying to figure out prices for everything.

I'm a big fan of yours and the guys at BGB. You've pioneered some fantastic work on Caymans. Thank you for pushing the envelope so hard and sharing with us what has worked and what hasn't. I will post pics of the build once we get started.
You are quite welcome. It is nice to hear those compliments. I keep telling myself that the majority of you guys know who we are and what we have done whereas many shops (in the northeast, specifically the NJ/NJ/CT area) try and lay claim to a lot of this stuff. I am here as a resource too so PM me or email me if you get hung up on any thing hard. Post pics! You really can't go wrong with a 987.2 for the track. The DFI motors are extremely reliable as are the PDKs and the Getrag 6-spd transmissions. You can bolt enough power to a Cayman R to make 375hp with a 3.4L since you have the "good" ECU. Good luck with the build and thanks again!

P.S. Life is all about trial and error. There was no road map for anything Cayman oriented. Just keep doing what you are doing...roll up the sleeves and jump in with both feet. Throw up the flag for help if you need it. I have made many many successful achievements because I have relationships where I can pick up the phone and be like "why is this muffler bearing so hard to get in the fetzer valve?" We all trade secrets back and forth like beaver pelts.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:44 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

P.S. Just as a side note, for those interested in his bucket seats, it takes a fair amount of work for those seats to work in a 981. If you are trying to buy them and do this, please call us. Those seats really are better left for the 987/997. The new cars have more cockpit room because the cabin has been sucked lower in the car. That seat sits very low in a 981.

Quick Reply: Cayman R parts