Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auction cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:44 PM
fastduck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auction cars?

Hi anyone,

I've never been on the Cayman board before but two different CS cars in interesting colors have just come to my attention; one a 2008, the other a 2010. However, and here's my question, according to CarFax both of them have been sold to their current dealers at auction. One came out of FL, the other PA, and are being sold by dealers many states distant. I know, a PPI should reveal issues, but , do these cars just not sell out of Pcar lots -- necessitating an auction sale?

Thanks for any ideas,
John

Last edited by fastduck; 08-09-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: insufficient information
Old 08-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I've noticed that high end cars like Porsche are fairly often sold via dealer auctions early on in their life. In fact both Porsches that I currently own were sold via auction after their first registered ownership.

I think it might have to do with their somewhat limited market. A Porsche sports car is not like a Honda Civic that is commonly sold at any dealership, used car dealer, or private party seller.

A Porsche sold by it's original owner is more desirable to me and also to many other enthusiasts I'm sure.
But I don't think an auctioned car, particularly a late model car, is a car that should be shunned or avoided. A PPI is the best way to determine the car's condition tho since auctioned cars almost always lose their history through their ownership transfer.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:44 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I can help answer this question. I just bought my car from an auction. The dealership that sold it doesn't hold any used Boxsters on their lot. All trades that aren't 911's go right to the auction. When I bought my car, they had 5 Cayennes and 2 Boxsters that week.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:15 PM
fastduck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, thanks to both of you, your comments have eased my paranoia a bit. The car which started my quest, an '08 in olive metallic, has almost no miles and the dealer mis-represented/described himself over on the PCA site as a private owner. That triggered my lousy "spidey-sense", then I started to look at all the CarFaxes only to find the auction situation. Thanks again,

John

Quick Reply: auction cars?