Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumbass Move

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Dipesh42lfc
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumbass Move

Morning All..I have a 05 987 S tip(not my dumbass move) that I hope you guys can assist me with...I parked in the garage and during the mayhem of grabbing stuff etc etc ,I left the key in the ignition after turning the engine off ...I went down today and realized the battery is now dead,the key will not come out of the ignition and I can't pop the hood to charge the battery due to it being dead ...I'm literally DOA ...is there anyway I can access the hood so I can get some juice to get myself out of this predicament ...thanks in advance people
Old 06-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Dipesh42lfc
Morning All..I have a 05 987 S tip(not my dumbass move) that I hope you guys can assist me with...I parked in the garage and during the mayhem of grabbing stuff etc etc ,I left the key in the ignition after turning the engine off ...I went down today and realized the battery is now dead,the key will not come out of the ignition and I can't pop the hood to charge the battery due to it being dead ...I'm literally DOA ...is there anyway I can access the hood so I can get some juice to get myself out of this predicament ...thanks in advance people
Inside the fuse box there's a terminal that you can push extend. You can then connect 12V to this and the ground to the door latch on the body. This will supply enough power to the car's electrical system to work the trunk latches.

Do *not* turn on any electrical loads. Do *not* try to start the engine. You do not need to even leave power connected this we for long as the system is reported to retain enough electrical power for the immediate opening of the trunk lids (and raising windows).
Old 06-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Dipesh42lfc
8th Gear

Thanks ...I'll give that a whizz
Old 06-29-2014, 01:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Here's a link that shows you what I'm talking about.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...ompartment-lid
Old 06-29-2014, 01:57 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will likely need to pop the trunk from the key... I did this yesterday! Then jumped it, then drove it quite a while. Seems fine now.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Dipesh42lfc
8th Gear

Hi there ,I tried that but there's no pop due to the battery being dead ...I can't charge the battery because I need to open the hood ...it's a catch 22 buddy
Old 06-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to connect a battery or vehicle to the red lead in the fuze box to get the key to pop the trunk! Instructions are in the owners manual.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You might try leaving the power connected to the terminal at the fusebox for awhile to see if enough of a charge builds up in the battery to pop the hood.
Your other alternative is to find the emergency frunk release cable and open the hood that way. If the cable has not already been relocated to the front bumper area, you should be able to find it behind the front wheel well liner (passenger side, I think). It might take some doing to find, but it's there.
Also, there are battery charging units made that charge through the cigarette lighter. They are typically more of a battery maintainer rather than a true charger, so they charge slowly too.

Quick Reply: Dumbass Move