Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leaking/evaporating

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:28 PM
cb4
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant leaking/evaporating

Have been loosing coolant and having to top off on a regular basis. Last time I had lost a quart after just 100 miles.

I think I am loosing coolant out of the cap. Maybe the seal is gone? Before I bring it into the dealer was hoping to get your guys advice.

The picture shows lots of white specs. Is that dried up coolant?

Thanks for all of your help!

Chris
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2014, 01:50 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It could be leaking from a number of places, and you might possibly have an internal (engine) leak as well.
Have you seen any puddling or drips of coolant on the ground after you've parked the car?
Can you smell coolant around the engine when it is hot? How about near the radiators up front?
Have you looked at your oil lately for signs of coolant mixed in with the oil? No dipstick on these cars, so you would have to see it during an oil change or you could simply remove the oil filter which would allow you to see the oil without draining the oil.
Before you do this, also look for a creamy tan colored goop in your oil filler neck or on the cap itself.
Both of these might be signs of a coolant intermix. The creamy goop can happen just from short driving trips and cold weather running, so it is not necessarily a sure sign of intermix.
Also, the coolant tank itself is a weak spot on this era of Porsche. The tanks tend to crack with age. It is not uncommon for the tank to leak only when the car is hot and the coolant under max pressure making it hard to see the leak most of the time. The coolant caps too have been known to leak but Porsche made a change to the later caps that improved this problem. If you have a 987, you probably have the newer cap.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:20 PM
cb4
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the detail. Hoping this isn't an engine problem. The engine was replaced on this car about 8k ago and this engines warranty expired last October.

There are absolutely no signs of coolant on the floor of the garage. I do smell coolant at the back of the car after driving the car hard.

I had it on a lift and saw no signs of coolant under the car.

Chris
Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Way more coolant leaks are due to a cap leaking or a tank leaking than a head gasket or some other internal problem.

Replace the cap. Flush the area with clear water to remove all the coolant residue. Top up the coolant tank.

Drive the car until it is up to temperature. When the radiator fans come that's up to temperature. (Oh be sure the A/C is off.)

When the fans come on shut off the engine.

Wait. If there is a problem with the coolant tank or something else the odds are very high you'll know it from the coolant leaking.

What you won't be able to see though is the water pump. For this you'll need the car in the air. But you really do not want to be under the car if you suspect a coolant leak. When I did the above the coolant tank gushed hot coolant like a mini Niagara Falls.

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking/evaporating