Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie to waterworld

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 11:55 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Newbie to waterworld

Hi All
Some of you may know me from the 993 forum .. I've been around there for a bit and for better or worse .. am a long term aircooled Porscheholic. I recently had a 993 coupe and then I decided to buy a Cab and have 9m convert it to a Speedster so the coupe had to be sacrificed in the name of insanity.

I originally thought I'd buy another 993 coupe for daily duty .. but when I really started talking about what I needed, I realized I wanted a modern, versatile car that I could drive and park relatively worry free .. so I started looking at everything Porsche made after 2005.

One of my favorite air-cooled Porsches from the past was a silver 914-6 I bought up in Seattle for PCA track days. The mid engine balance was addictive and having two trunks ended up being a surprisingly utilitarian design. When I remembered how much I enjoyed that car ... i started looking at Cayman's, and after discussing all the models and options available over the years and looking at pricing I settled on a quest with a plan. I'm lucky that I've got some great friends that I could tap for hands-on information and Planet-9 forum is a seriously good resource for all things 987, I highly recommend it.

So .. after a lot of searching, a few failed deals and a serious cleaning out of my stash of valuable Porsche parts .. I finally pulled the trigger on February 21st on a car at a small dealer in Florida and after many days of trying to get enclosed transport arranged, my new-to-me 2006 Cayman S finally arrived last Tuesday, March 18th. Even after haggling the price down, I paid high retail for the car because it checked all of my 'must have' boxes. I've learned over the years that when I compromise on a Porsche purchase, I'll end up spending a lot more money sorting the car to my liking than if I had just paid for the car I wanted in the first place. Here's the poop:
2006 Cayman S, three owner ex-CPO with 24,990 miles on the clock, rolling on 19" Carrera Classics. Seal Grey over Stone Grey, PASM, Sport Chrono, Sport Wheel, Sport Shifter, Heated Sport Seats, PCM/Navigation, Bose High end Sound, Bi-Xenon headlights. Options came to $12,415 on the sticker Here's the mandatory pics .. first one is at the dealer.

.... and I got right to work. Found this on Planet-9 Classifieds ..

.. and spent yesterday morning flopping around on the garage floor wrestling the stock tips off and getting the new RS60 tips on

I'm sure there will be more sliding down the slippery slope to come, but for now, I'm just looking for excuses to go out and drive it. Amazing how now it takes an hour to go get coffee filters .. I'll keep y'all posted.
JP
Old 03-21-2014, 12:09 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Looks like a beautiful Cayman.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:14 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 190 Posts

Old 03-21-2014, 12:45 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^^ thanks guy's
Old 03-21-2014, 01:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

The Caymans are super fun little commuters. For the money and the care free parking you cannot go wrong.
THe 19" wheels really make it nice too
Old 03-21-2014, 01:27 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice to see my speedline monies go to good pcar use

do enjoy in good health
Old 03-21-2014, 01:32 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

What!!!!!! Congratulations bro
Old 03-21-2014, 02:04 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Amazing how now it takes an hour to go get coffee filters .. I'll keep y'all posted.
JP
Those long drives might have something to do with getting lost due to memory loss, given your advanced age and everything.

On a more serious note, good to have you around these part, feel blessed to have the pontif in our midst. Oh, and a nice looking car. Now get a SportsDesign steering wheel in it, will ya?
Old 03-21-2014, 02:34 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the dark side Sith Lord JPP.

The first track day is April 4th at the Ridge if you wanna stretch the legs on your new Cayman (your mouth) <<< vanity plate idea
Old 03-21-2014, 02:38 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The Caymans are super fun little commuters. For the money and the care free parking you cannot go wrong.
THe 19" wheels really make it nice too
These Carrera Classics are my favorite on this car .. one of the reasons I kept going back to this one and trying to make a deal

Originally Posted by lopro
nice to see my speedline monies go to good pcar use

do enjoy in good health
Yes .. and thanks lopro, I intend to!

Originally Posted by jhg41977
Very nice!

Originally Posted by Opo
What!!!!!! Congratulations bro
Thanks Rudy .. it's exactly what the doctor ordered .. for me .. with my need for a DD and a 3-car garage space

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Those long drives might have something to do with getting lost due to memory loss, given your advanced age and everything.

On a more serious note, good to have you around these part, feel blessed to have the pontif in our midst. Oh, and a nice looking car. Now get a SportsDesign steering wheel in it, will ya?
Thank you sir. You're NEXT! The 'memory' thingy? I call it 'Selective Senility' .. I actually love the factory sport wheel in the car .. and I can use that money to A: Pay those damn 8.75% excise taxes when I register it ... and B: Pay those sidewinders at FDM for a little 'exhaust adjustment'
Old 03-21-2014, 02:51 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Thank you sir. You're NEXT! The 'memory' thingy? I call it 'Selective Senility' .. I actually love the factory sport wheel in the car .. and I can use that money to A: Pay those damn 8.75% excise taxes when I register it ... and B: Pay those sidewinders at FDM for a little 'exhaust adjustment'
Let me know what FDM have up their sleeves. I think my little guy will be getting a FVD or Fabspeed sometime in the future (as soon as I can sneak it past the woman commonly known as overlord-of-the-checkbook), which should make for some nice sounds and push the ponies to about 340 -- you know a GTS without the leather and alcantara that I don't want. But if FDM can do the same or similar....
Old 03-21-2014, 03:01 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a very nicely optioned Cayman S (with sport seats, sport wheel, and sport chrono) etc. You'll be able to drive this Cayman in just about any conditions so +987 on the practicality of the purchase.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:36 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's certainly a beautiful machine!! Congratulations JPP
Old 03-21-2014, 03:41 PM
esses
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks clean but is no 993

Quick Reply: Newbie to waterworld