Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's Goodbye to the 991S and Hello to the Cayman R

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default It's Goodbye to the 991S and Hello to the Cayman R

Through a slight twist of fate and with a racecar (or two) on the way, and at the suggestion of fellow Rennlister Mike Globe, I decided to make the move to a Cayman R as my new DD.

Car arrived this week and so far I've really been enjoying it. Very different driving experience compared to the 991S, beyond the obvious things like the 991 having more power, being heavier, "feeling wider", etc., relatively speaking, of course.

Best analogy I have so far is that the CR is like Barry Sanders and the 991S is more like Earl Campbell. The CR flows down the road like mercury, almost effortlessly. You think about pointing it in and it's already there. You think, 'That was too easy. I don't feel like I'm going very fast' and then you look down at the speedometer to your surprise. In comparison, the 991 feels like it's battering the road into submission with lots of torque, lots of technology, huge section tire width underneath, etc. You have to be driving at insane speeds on your favorite backroads or at the limit on the track to get the "feel" that the CR seems to have all the time. Both are very good at playing the roles they were designed to play.

I'll get better pics up and a detailed comparison between the two when I've had more time. I'm headed straight for a two-day DE this weekend, so I'm looking forward to "bonding" with the car on the track, as it should be.

About the only thing I feel like I need to address right now is the stock exhaust; it's just too quiet. Unfortunately the car wasn't optioned with the factory sport exhaust, but I've been thinking the FVD Brombacher Sound might fit the bill.
Attached Images   
Old 09-05-2013, 04:35 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good for you, I'm glad to hear you like it. I certainly had the ability to buy a 911, I chose the Porsche of my dreams and didn't look back. I drove the 911, for me the Spyder is a more focused sports car, just my opinion no science or numbers implied.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

I know exactly what you mean. Once I found my comfortable seating position (I'm 6'2"), it was like the car was poured around me. It's a much "chattier" car with more of a classic sports car feel to it. I don't have to be driving it a million miles an hour on the street to enjoy it. The 991 is certainly more GT-biased in comparison. That's neither a good or a bad thing, just a different mission thing. I know it may sound weird, but I feel younger driving the CR vs. the 991. They are both tons of fun but different as chalk and cheese.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

On my car some of the feel is the Sport Buckets, I think they would transform any vehicle they went into. As for power you had the 911 a while so you have a better contrast point, I find the Spyder is not only plenty fast it's faster than you can use without trouble. It's everything I ever wanted in a Porsche which is a nice feeling as I want no other car just to keep this one for as long as I can and pristine as I can.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

This thing is far from slow. It doesn't have as much low down torque that the 3.8 has, but launch it hard and it takes off like a scalded dog! In fact the launch control feature on the CR is more brutal than the 991.

I didn't go for the 6MT or Sport Buckets in this car, because it's primary mission is a street car/DD. Plus I'm from the video game generation and I love the PDK. I will only have it on the track occasionally so I'm not going to get crazy with the track mods. Famous last words, I know...
Old 09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I've never used launch control, if I do it will be right before a new set of tires. My car came with the options I wanted, I didn't order it the dealer did but they guessed perfect.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:49 PM
veilsideLGD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a 991S and Boxster Spyder and your comparison is spot on. The 991S seems so docile and rather not engaging at low speeds when compared to my Spyder. It's only when I'm driving relatively fast does the 991S comes alive. I can drive slow in the Spyder and still feel "excited". I have the Fabspeed Race exhaust on the Spyder and although there is alot of drone at the low RPM, it has an intoxicating sound after 5K RPM.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by veilsideLGD
I currently have a 991S and Boxster Spyder and your comparison is spot on. The 991S seems so docile and rather not engaging at low speeds when compared to my Spyder. It's only when I'm driving relatively fast does the 991S comes alive. I can drive slow in the Spyder and still feel "excited". I have the Fabspeed Race exhaust on the Spyder and although there is alot of drone at the low RPM, it has an intoxicating sound after 5K RPM.
Yes, I looked into that one and it sounds amazing but I'm worried the drone might be a little too much to deal with on a DD. I'm about to have one or two dedicated track cars, so I don't want to get too crazy with this one. But trust me I'm still tempted.

I was thinking the FVD Brombacher Sound was a good compromise. People that have it seem to report that it has little to no drone and I think it still sounds pretty incredible at WOT. Very classic flat-six wail.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:59 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by veilsideLGD
Any video or sound clips of the Fabspeed on the Spyder?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Pearlcoupeg35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool thread. I am actually thinking about doing the exact opposite LOL. After having owned a Spyder (with fabspeed race exhaust too!) and now a Cayman R (also w fabspeed race) i am itching for something more comfy and roomier (i am 6'3") since i use this car as my only vehicle. The comparisons are SPOT ON from you guys --- however i am looking at going the other way (for a bit at least). Thinking about a nice 991 C2S Coupe in the spring.....
Old 09-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlcoupeg35
Very cool thread. I am actually thinking about doing the exact opposite LOL. After having owned a Spyder (with fabspeed race exhaust too!) and now a Cayman R (also w fabspeed race) i am itching for something more comfy and roomier (i am 6'3") since i use this car as my only vehicle. The comparisons are SPOT ON from you guys --- however i am looking at going the other way (for a bit at least). Thinking about a nice 991 C2S Coupe in the spring.....
Keep the Spyder and add a 997 C4S or maybe a Mercedes.

I absolutely love my Spyder for weekend fun runs and relaxation but I would definitely get tired of it for daily use with my 85 miles per day commute. I love my C32 for daily use, it's comfy, quiet, it's torque monster and it is relatively invisible. Perfect combo.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Through a slight twist of fate and with a racecar (or two) on the way, and at the suggestion of fellow Rennlister Mike Globe, I decided to make the move to a Cayman R as my new DD.

Car arrived this week and so far I've really been enjoying it. Very different driving experience compared to the 991S, beyond the obvious things like the 991 having more power, being heavier, "feeling wider", etc., relatively speaking, of course.

Best analogy I have so far is that the CR is like Barry Sanders and the 991S is more like Earl Campbell. The CR flows down the road like mercury, almost effortlessly. You think about pointing it in and it's already there. You think, 'That was too easy. I don't feel like I'm going very fast' and then you look down at the speedometer to your surprise. In comparison, the 991 feels like it's battering the road into submission with lots of torque, lots of technology, huge section tire width underneath, etc. You have to be driving at insane speeds on your favorite backroads or at the limit on the track to get the "feel" that the CR seems to have all the time. Both are very good at playing the roles they were designed to play.

I'll get better pics up and a detailed comparison between the two when I've had more time. I'm headed straight for a two-day DE this weekend, so I'm looking forward to "bonding" with the car on the track, as it should be.

About the only thing I feel like I need to address right now is the stock exhaust; it's just too quiet. Unfortunately the car wasn't optioned with the factory sport exhaust, but I've been thinking the FVD Brombacher Sound might fit the bill.
Congrats on the new ride!

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions after the DE.

Enjoy in good health.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by Pearlcoupeg35
I think these are what they call "1st World Problems" we have. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but if more comfort is your priority a 911 is probably the better choice.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Congrats on the new ride!

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions after the DE.

Enjoy in good health.
Thanks! I can't wait to get it on the track this weekend. I'll definitely share some impressions and try to take some video with HLT, too.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:48 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Yes, I looked into that one and it sounds amazing but I'm worried the drone might be a little too much to deal with on a DD. I'm about to have one or two dedicated track cars, so I don't want to get too crazy with this one. But trust me I'm still tempted.

I was thinking the FVD Brombacher Sound was a good compromise. People that have it seem to report that it has little to no drone and I think it still sounds pretty incredible at WOT. Very classic flat-six wail.
Fabspeed race exhaust sounds incredible and I love it. However, it does drone loudly from 2-3k RPM. If your R will be a DD and has PDK, it may not be your best option as PDK will want to keep RPMs in the drone zone.

My Spyder came with FVD Brombacher sound version (since replaced with Fabspeed race). I personally could not detect drone (not on mine anyway) and it does have a nice exotic sound above 4k RPM. At idle and lower revs, however, it's relatively quiet and not much louder than stock.

It's all about what you're looking for, I guess. With aftermarket exhausts, loudness seems to be directly related to drone, e.g. Fabspeed, Borla. BTW, I think Remus is another exhaust that has a quieter sound with little to no drone.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:55 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Check out our GT exhaust which sounds great and does not give resonance at all .

http://carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p87016.htm

Quick Reply: It's Goodbye to the 991S and Hello to the Cayman R