Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consequences of PASM delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:57 PM
EBacon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consequences of PASM delete

Hi folks,

My absolutely fabulous and essentially bone-stock 2006 Cayman S has finally exhibited an issue after 4 years of flawless performance in my hands: a blown FR strut. This car is primarily my track ride (where I'm an instructor and do time trials) but it also does occasionally street duty if I feel like reattaching the front license plate.

Car has PASM and SC, options I originally scoured the country to procure.

My question to this forum, after calling experts in my area and scouring the web to no avail is, what are the consequences of PASM delete? Going with Bilstein PSS10s would be the route to go given my use case, but there's a huge differential in price for PASM-compatible and normal shocks. Budget's an issue for me atm.

Is the PASM tied into other computer-driven functions like the ABS or something? Obviously I turn off PSM at the track. I can live with a light forever glowing on my dashboard (already have it for dead TPMS this past year...). Who knows the scoop?

Liz

p.s. Cross posting to planet nine for efficiency's sake, do forgive me.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:09 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Those on the 997GT3 board might better help you - PASM was a relatively rare option on the 987, but standard on the 997GT3, and many more over there mod their cars...
Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I looked into changing out the Bilstein PASM struts/shocks on my 09 CS. TC Kline had a set of Sachs shocks which would bolt in. TC also had a set of instructions for installing them and what needed to be done after the installation. As I recall there was some minor PIWIS adjustment.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:33 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I looked into changing out the Bilstein PASM struts/shocks on my 09 CS. TC Kline had a set of Sachs shocks which would bolt in. TC also had a set of instructions for installing them and what needed to be done after the installation. As I recall there was some minor PIWIS adjustment.
Were they coilovers, or did they use the stock springs?

Quick Reply: Consequences of PASM delete