Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman clutch pedal sticking when hot on track

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
Unhappy Cayman clutch pedal sticking when hot on track

I started to experience a sticky clutch pedal issue with the car on the track, only happens at the end of the track day (last 2 sessions). Starts once the car is warm after 2-3 laps in those sessions and gets progressively worse.

- I come into corner and brake/downshift.
- Gear engages fine, clutch pedal comes slighlty up above friction point but won't pop all the way back up.
- Will not do it when accelerating.
- So far I've done 32 track days with my car, this issue has only happened the last 4 days. It has happened to various degrees. Each time I've had the brakes and clutch bled hoping it wouldn't happen the next time. Complete flush of brake fluid done too.
- Used gulf 1000 and Super Blue and no change in behavior.
- Brake pedal is still firm, now that the car is cool the clutch works fine.

My guess is a bad slave or master cylinder. The problem is I can't reproduce it on the street and both dealer and indy shop tell me they find nothing wrong with hydraulics.

Any way I can reproduce it or test it so that I find out what it is?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:55 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe try motul fluid and look up a product called cool sleeves {?} they used to be used on any type /size line that needed thermal protection.good luck .i think heat is your problem
Old 08-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
maybe try motul fluid and look up a product called cool sleeves {?} they used to be used on any type /size line that needed thermal protection.good luck .i think heat is your problem
Agree. Heat is the #1 suspect.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts

Tried looking for the product you mention but no luck. Now after running and letting it sit for a bit there's a small puddle of brake fluid that comes out. Only able to do it if the car is running, if it'S not running pumping the brakes/clutch pedal does not make a new leak.
Attached Images   
Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i guess back to a shop........not the ones that could find nothing wrong. as for cool sleeves....try a speed shop or summit racing/jegs etc. the real old days we would wrap fuel lines in al. foil
Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 PM
gt2r
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem. It only happened 1 time when it was hot. Not on any other track day. I've read about this on other forms as well. I was able to pull the pedal up to its regular location and it didn't happen the rest of the day. Never figured out the reason for this

Quick Reply: Cayman clutch pedal sticking when hot on track