Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accusump tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Larry L
Race Car

Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Accusump tips?

Anybody running an Accusump on a .1 Boxster or Cayman? Where did you mount it, and did it end your oil starvation issues?
Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I had an Accusump on my 2008 Boxster S. I had my previous indy mount it in the trans tunnel in front of the engine. 3 Qt. is a perfect fit though some are happy with 2 Qt. systems. Others mount it in the trunk but this takes away your trunk space. Also, Accusump failed in someone (I know)'s car and it flooded the trunk... My advice? Put it in the trans tunnel.

You'll need a spin-on filter adapter from LN, sandwich adaptor for Accusump plumbing (eBay from Canton Racing), and different oil filters. IIRC, you'll need NAPA 1042 or 1081 filters. 1042 (IIRC) is longer and some fear that it may hit something while driving. This was not my experience even without a deep sump; with a deep sump, 1042 is hidden and it's a non-issue.

I don't know for a fact that it solved the oil starvation issue as my car did not have an oil pressure gauge. However, I never had an oil related problem with the car. When I sold the Boxster S, I took the Accusump system off and sold to someone else, who also reported good results.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 AM
Larry L
Race Car

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I had an Accusump on my 2008 Boxster S. I had my previous indy mount it in the trans tunnel in front of the engine. 3 Qt. is a perfect fit though some are happy with 2 Qt. systems. Others mount it in the trunk but this takes away your trunk space. Also, Accusump failed in someone (I know)'s car and it flooded the trunk... My advice? Put it in the trans tunnel.

You'll need a spin-on filter adapter from LN, sandwich adaptor for Accusump plumbing (eBay from Canton Racing), and different oil filters. IIRC, you'll need NAPA 1042 or 1081 filters. 1042 (IIRC) is longer and some fear that it may hit something while driving. This was not my experience even without a deep sump; with a deep sump, 1042 is hidden and it's a non-issue.

I don't know for a fact that it solved the oil starvation issue as my car did not have an oil pressure gauge. However, I never had an oil related problem with the car. When I sold the Boxster S, I took the Accusump system off and sold to someone else, who also reported good results.
Awesome. Did you use the electrical switch, or the manual valve? How is the tunnel accessed? The install looks pretty simple, and I like the idea of pre-startup oil pressure.

I found a complete kit for +/- $1200. I think I'd trust it more than a deep sump, and don't want to deal with the hassle of additional (and expensive) oil pumps.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:37 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry L
Awesome. Did you use the electrical switch, or the manual valve? How is the tunnel accessed? The install looks pretty simple, and I like the idea of pre-startup oil pressure.

I found a complete kit for +/- $1200. I think I'd trust it more than a deep sump, and don't want to deal with the hassle of additional (and expensive) oil pumps.
Electric switch/valve. Think it's called EPC valve or something like that? You can install a switch to turn the Accusump on or off. When you switch it on, EPC valve allows it to discharge and fill according to oil pressures.

The tunnel is accessed by taking some of the plastic trays underneath the car off. Use the supplied mounting clips to install in the tunnel. You'll have to drill through the thin metal floor/tunnel. To install the switch and to wire it to the ignition, you have to run the wires at the front engine cover (behind the seats) then underneath the center console. I suppose you could feed the wires directly under the center console also.

You can install the switch anywhere within easy reach. It's good to wire it to the ignition so that you can flick it on, turn ignition and engine on, then let Accusump do its thing. When turning off, rev RPMs up to drive oil back into the Accusump then flick the switch off.

IMO, Accusump is the real deal if you want to combat oil starvation in 987.1s. Instantaneous starvation is met with instantaneous discharge of ~1.5 to 2.5 qt. into the system. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 AM
Larry L
Race Car

Thanks for the real-world info. I've been wading through page after page of web discussions, but this is what I've been looking for.

I'll order it this week. I hope to have it in place before the next DE (July).

Quick Reply: Accusump tips?