Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 newbie questions (Engine rattle)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Frenor0302
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a mail from the service manager and he said that the last sound comes from the gearbox. If you press down the clutch the sound stops. So, he has changed the oil, there was "some glitter" in it, but he thought that was from the sync rings and was of no consequence. It will now go up on the lift once again and get thoroughly warmed up and then we'll see if the sound is well and truly gone. Fun fact, the first owner is a gentleman hailing from 1939. Dunno how he drove this car before me but it might have gotten a chock after being driven as a Porsche should be.

So, the first two films is "normal" sounds from the valves, and this new one was from the gearbox, completely disconnected from the first two sounds. Interesting stuff this..
Old 07-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Thought you said the rattle didn't go away when you depressed the clutch?

Anyhow, if it does as the dealer reported that's gear box rattle.

A bit of "glitter" in the transmission oil is of no real concern. Glitter metal is aluminum. Casting flash being shed over time.

Even pieces of metal absent any symptoms from the transmission are really nothing to fret over. I was taught years ago that the first transmission fluid drain can have some scary stuff in the fluid but with no signs from the tranny of anything amiss it is nothing.

Now, by "scary" I'm talking about just a few indistinct small metal fragments. If one sees loose ball bearings, needle bearings, gear teeth that's different. That would be truly scary. But the odds are the transmission would be acting up.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you find pieces that a scrap metal dealer would salivate over, then I'd say you have a pretty serious problem.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:55 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like all is ok. Now time to enjoy it again!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Frenor0302
Cruisin'

New update.

The first two sounds where from the valves, hence normal sound.

The last film where the car sounds like a Soviet tractor was from the gearbox, and the sound vanishes when you depress the clutch. Sorry, seems I had two issues without realizing it.

Well, I just had a chat with the manager and he will create a ticket for the factory and send my film with it for review. After they changed the gearbox oil it's a bit more quiet, but they can still hear the sound now when they have "learned to hear it" as he said. I feel like I’m in good hands and since we are taking our daily driver on our vacation trip they can keep the Boxster until someone in Germany says the sound is normal. If not, it’s taking the gearbox apart-time, but I’m going to cross that bridge when I get to it. Thank god for "Porsche Approved"-warranty.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:45 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vanishes when clutch is depressed, throw out bearing? If you have the habit of waiting at lights with the clutch to the floor stop doing that and move it to neutral until you're ready to take off again..This practice will dramatically reduce TO bearing wear.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:53 AM
Frenor0302
Cruisin'

I have no idea how the former owner drove the car, myself however does just as you say; never stand still with the clutch depressed at a stoplight.

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Vanishes when clutch is depressed, throw out bearing? If you have the habit of waiting at lights with the clutch to the floor stop doing that and move it to neutral until you're ready to take off again..This practice will dramatically reduce TO bearing wear.

Quick Reply: 987 newbie questions (Engine rattle)