Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)

Help in Boxster 987 purchase decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013 | 02:47 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

As for the top, I used it everyday, multiple times daily in my previous 2008 Boxster S. Worked just fine. Some of the problems can be the plastic cap at the end of push-rods can break. Easy and cheap fix though. Plastic caps can be found cheap on eBay, for example. The top can also go out of alignment at the side rear edges. There is a very easy, DIY, free fix for this. Once you become a Porsche owner and PCA member, I can point you to an article on this. "Once you become a Porsche owner" because PCA membership is required to view it.

If something does break, Porsches can be pretty expensive to fix. New clutch at dealers will cost you approx. $1,500 or so. Power steering pump failure = $1,000-1,300. Water pump failure = $700-1,000. Engine failure = over $17,000.

I am of the opinion that people "on a budget" should not necessarily own Porsches. Certainly not an elitist statement, but it will cost much more to run, on average, compared to say, Toyota. Porsche oil changes are $250-300 (though you can DIY for much less). Major maintenance (every 4 years) is $1,500-2,000. Something to think about. Or maybe I'm just tired of people b*tching "I can't believe it costs $XYZ..." Well, it's a Porsche... what did you expect??
Old 06-06-2013 | 03:13 PM
lithium1330
Racer

The most expensive part of owning my 2008 Boxster S (for me) have been gas (~$40/tank @ 250 miles range), mods and DE.

Assuming 10k miles a year and car is mainly driven on street:
- you'll do an oil change 2x/year. Oil change is pretty easy to do, and a DIY is about $70 in parts + 1hr of your time.
- Brake pads last 40 - 50k miles - $300 in parts every 4 - 5 yrs.
- Tires typically last 15k miles rear, 20k miles front before needing replacement. $800 - $1200 every 2 years.
- clutch... every 100k miles (at least) - i wouldn't worry about too much about it. I know people who track their cars get at least 130k.

Those are the key things I monitor for the last 4 yrs of ownership. But they'll be the furthest thing on your mind when you're out driving the car.
Old 06-06-2013 | 06:32 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rennlistuser3
Thanks Steve,

Really great feedback to hear from you running these cars over 100,000.

Could you by any chance remember if there were any eye wateringly expensive maintenance you've had to make on them? Say something like Catalytic converter? or suspension parts? or maybe clutch?

I'm not too worried about the clutch per say as I had two manual cars so far and never had to replace the clutch. I guess my driving style doesn't wear it out. But just in case.
No problem, rennlistuser3

Catalytics have been very solid - originals on both cars, still.
According to our dealer, most of their clients get 20-30K miles per clutch. We've gotten 63K, 69K and will be replacing the one on my wife's car with the new engine - so at least 84K miles.

Anything labor intensive is very expensive (engine or trans rebuild), but as I said, these have been very reliable - but we've owned them since new.
Rebuilding the suspension (using Porsche parts) is crazy expensive, but you can save a ton of money and get better parts with RSS Tarmacs.

Most components/systems are overbuilt (the brakes are way better, last longer and are cheaper than BMW M3). That's why so many owners will track the cars, at least occasionally.

As Vetman said, there are some expensive repairs, mostly the ones you expect.

There have been a couple of (stupid) necessary repairs that are expensive. Both cars needed the (dumb - and completely VW) pressurized coolant reservoir replaced at >$1000. Both cars needed the dual-mass flywheel replaced (I wasn't used to a FW being a wear item!) when the clutch needed replacement (also >$1000). Both cars had the starter switch die (with very different and bizarre effects... thanks to CANBUS?) - around $600, plus reprogramming keys and/or new key.

Otherwise, just the occasional hiccup - window regulators ~$300

All the prices I quoted were for work done at a dealer, but in most cases 2-4 years ago.

One last point about the miles/years. We owned both Boxsters from new and daily drove. They were as reliable as our late-80s Toyotas, but they (and every Porsche we've owned) has had some delivery/teething issues that have needed to be resolved during the warranty period. Low-mileage cars scare me more than high-mileage ones. If it were me, I'd rather have a higher-mile, newer car, than a low-mile, older car.
Old 06-06-2013 | 08:09 PM
rennlistuser3
Advanced

Originally Posted by fhp911
Dear Rennlistuser3,

STOP WORRYING !!!

The top won't break, neither will the engine.

ENJOY THE BOXSTER !!!!
LOL!

Thanks Fred,

Sorry I'm being a bit of an annoyance here,. Just me trying to make sure I don't run into any future nightmares.
Old 06-06-2013 | 08:14 PM
rennlistuser3
Advanced

Originally Posted by the_vetman
As for the top, I used it everyday, multiple times daily in my previous 2008 Boxster S. Worked just fine. Some of the problems can be the plastic cap at the end of push-rods can break. Easy and cheap fix though. Plastic caps can be found cheap on eBay, for example. The top can also go out of alignment at the side rear edges. There is a very easy, DIY, free fix for this. Once you become a Porsche owner and PCA member, I can point you to an article on this. "Once you become a Porsche owner" because PCA membership is required to view it.

If something does break, Porsches can be pretty expensive to fix. New clutch at dealers will cost you approx. $1,500 or so. Power steering pump failure = $1,000-1,300. Water pump failure = $700-1,000. Engine failure = over $17,000.

I am of the opinion that people "on a budget" should not necessarily own Porsches. Certainly not an elitist statement, but it will cost much more to run, on average, compared to say, Toyota. Porsche oil changes are $250-300 (though you can DIY for much less). Major maintenance (every 4 years) is $1,500-2,000. Something to think about. Or maybe I'm just tired of people b*tching "I can't believe it costs $XYZ..." Well, it's a Porsche... what did you expect??
Thanks Vetman

Actually the prices you quoted for those repairs aren't really all that bad. I was looking for something like 5,000 for a clutch replacement or something like that. Now that I would call difficult to swallow. Those prices you show sound reasonable.

And yeah I know it will be more expensive than a Toyota, but I am a huge car enthusiast so I'm really looking at this as a money saving scheme, but rather an expensive luxury (so long as the expense is manageable)
Old 06-06-2013 | 08:18 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

rennlister3,

There are no guarantees in life or in Porsches, but I think you're getting the sense from the many posts that these cars are reliable and that they take a lickin and keep on tickin.

One last thing -- I'm on my 8th Porsche, one of which was a GT3 which saw LOTS of track duty -- probably 25K+ miles. I never needed a clutch replacement. I do try to be nice to my car, though -- I lov it, so why would I abuse it?
Old 06-06-2013 | 08:20 PM
rennlistuser3
Advanced

Originally Posted by lithium1330
The most expensive part of owning my 2008 Boxster S (for me) have been gas (~$40/tank @ 250 miles range), mods and DE.

Assuming 10k miles a year and car is mainly driven on street:
- you'll do an oil change 2x/year. Oil change is pretty easy to do, and a DIY is about $70 in parts + 1hr of your time.
- Brake pads last 40 - 50k miles - $300 in parts every 4 - 5 yrs.
- Tires typically last 15k miles rear, 20k miles front before needing replacement. $800 - $1200 every 2 years.
- clutch... every 100k miles (at least) - i wouldn't worry about too much about it. I know people who track their cars get at least 130k.

Those are the key things I monitor for the last 4 yrs of ownership. But they'll be the furthest thing on your mind when you're out driving the car.

Great!

This is exactly what I wanted to see. Day to day, wear and tear items and how they would factor in. This sounds good.

I guess what really spooked me before is my friend telling me owning a Porsche means 300$ just for oil changes. I sort of extrapolated that cost on everything else and thought clutch replacement would be 10,000$ and tires would be 5,000$ and so on.

This sounds reasonable. Oil change is a steep jump from the usual 20$ I see. But other things are about a 2X to 3X expense increase on my humble Celica. Which is what I was expecting considering the huge jump in performance.
Old 06-06-2013 | 08:29 PM
rennlistuser3
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
No problem, rennlistuser3

As Vetman said, there are some expensive repairs, mostly the ones you expect.

There have been a couple of (stupid) necessary repairs that are expensive. Both cars needed the (dumb - and completely VW) pressurized coolant reservoir replaced at >$1000. Both cars needed the dual-mass flywheel replaced (I wasn't used to a FW being a wear item!) when the clutch needed replacement (also >$1000). Both cars had the starter switch die (with very different and bizarre effects... thanks to CANBUS?) - around $600, plus reprogramming keys and/or new key.
yeah, I guess things like this are just things you have to accept in life. I guess I won't be too sad if they happen. For instance that starter switch I can relate to my friend who has an old Junkie Nissan Maxima and he had a starter problem which cost him 500$

on the other hand, my friend who has a 911 claims he doesn't have issues with it.

One last point about the miles/years. We owned both Boxsters from new and daily drove. They were as reliable as our late-80s Toyotas,
Music to my ears to hear that

If it were me, I'd rather have a higher-mile, newer car, than a low-mile, older car.
Excellent, this'll perfectly go inline with me justifying the higher mileage (cheaper) Porsche. I think I'll aim for something in the 40,000 to 70,000 range.
Old 06-06-2013 | 08:36 PM
rennlistuser3
Advanced

Originally Posted by fhp911

I do try to be nice to my car, though -- I lov it, so why would I abuse it?
I guess the abuse I would be talking about is rapid throttle response.

I really love how responsive these sports cars can be to throttle input. Normal cars just don't change their exhaust tune when you open the throttle.

The engine response and exhaust tune for opening the throttle is really one of the reasons I love sports cars. They sort of mimic what you get from a super bike which I previously owned and loved the throttle response.

That's pretty much the only abuse I give my cars. Other than that I would say, I'm more mechanically delicate than normal drivers.
Old 06-06-2013 | 10:15 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Vetman

Actually the prices you quoted for those repairs aren't really all that bad. I was looking for something like 5,000 for a clutch replacement or something like that. Now that I would call difficult to swallow. Those prices you show sound reasonable.

And yeah I know it will be more expensive than a Toyota, but I am a huge car enthusiast so I'm really looking at this as a money saving scheme, but rather an expensive luxury (so long as the expense is manageable)
Well, based on those info I think you'll be just fine with a 987 Boxster. As others have indicated, "maintenance cost" for many can be just gas and oil changes - not that something will necessarily break.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2013 | 11:00 PM
jabo
Advanced

Could you by any chance remember if there were any eye wateringly expensive maintenance you've had to make on them? Say something like Catalytic converter?.
The entire emission control system is covered by an even more comprehensive warranty from Porsche.
Nearly any issue with catalytic converters will be covered by this warranty for up to 8 years, by the factory.
Old 06-07-2013 | 07:47 AM
Gooddog
Track Day

Lightbulb Solution

Hi Everyone!

new forum member here.

Pardon my vague post but I'm trying to make this as short as possible as not to bore you yet give as much information as possible at the same time.

simply put, I'm interested in purchasing a Boxster 987. Right now I'm really indecisive on whether to go for the S version or the normal one. I'm also indecisive on what year model/ mileage. I'm even not too sure if I should buy it in the first place.

First, a bit of a background on me. I'm currently a grad student (tight budget) and I own a 2001 Toyota Celica with 170,000 miles on it. I loved it and had a blast with it and now I want to upgrade. I'm graduating soon so finances should be better hopefully and as of now I can afford to buy a car going up to say about 50,000$. But I hope I never even approach that number let alone pay it. I'm actually considering high mileage older 987s for bargain prices (20,00o to 35,000$).

When I bought the Celica I mainly bought it as a fun car and wanted to see how bad a high mileage car would be to live with. It served me for years and aside from regular maintenance not much to worry about.

So my questions are:

Q1: How expensive is it to maintain a 987?

Q2: Is it a bad idea to buy a high mileage 987 (say 70,000 miles)?

Q3: Is it easy to find people who can service a 987?

Q4: Do you really get to enjoy a 987? I mean in my measily Celica I can hardly tap its power or handling limits before I'm in licence losing territory. So how can you enjoy a 987?

That's what I can think of right now but I'm sure more questions and information will come up as I hopefully get some replies.

DISCLAIMER: Yes I did read through and used the search engine. I didn't really find what I needed and interactive discussions are also more detailed and much faster in getting answers.

Thanks in Advance.
I have a beautiful 2005 Boxster S w/ great options (Bose/PASM, etc.); classic silver over black.. Brand new Porsche built; Porsche installed; remanufactured motor with a full Porsche 2-year warranty for sale on Ebay (local sale) for $32,000. email me at mmoore@wesbanco.com if you're interested and I'll provide you all of the info and pics. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2013 | 07:40 PM
SteveJ
Track Day

Most of the replies cover about everything, but one thing I didn't see mentioned is that you will need a garage. That may be obvious. Depending on where you end up with a new job, that could be a significant expense.
Old 06-08-2013 | 06:35 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

A garage is choice, not only for safe clean dry storage but projects too. However, even though I'm spoiled with a 24X24' unit, my Escape has to live outside in the summer. As long as the area you live in has little vandalism and you are ready to wash weekly, you can get away with it, don't let it keep you from a dream car. Now if it snows where you live winter is a good time to pony up for a garage.
Old 06-08-2013 | 03:56 PM
rennlistuser3
Advanced

Originally Posted by SteveJ
Most of the replies cover about everything, but one thing I didn't see mentioned is that you will need a garage. That may be obvious. Depending on where you end up with a new job, that could be a significant expense.
Thanks, that is something to consider but I think I'm OK. I do have a parking space where I am now and my possible future relocation will likely not be a crowded city. I really hate crowded cities and I can't imagine myself living in such locations. Even if I have to cut my wage significantly. First thing money needs to buy you is happiness.

Quick Reply: Help in Boxster 987 purchase decision