Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Boxster S purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Help! Boxster S purchase advice

I am considering upgrading to this 2010 Boxster S from my base 2010 Boxster that I have owned for just about one year. The S car has about 9,500 miles, has a lot of options, (listed below) is a color that I like a bit better than my current Box, is CPO and the asking price is $49,995. Based on my shopping around over the last few months this seems like a decent price for what the car has. The rub is that I am going to take a big hit on my trade in. My car has 8,300 miles, has many fewer options (hardtop,power seat package, BiXenon w/Dyn Cornering heated seats auto climate) they are offering me $34,400. I would have to come up with $15,600 plus about $1,400 in taxes and fees totaling $17,000 to do the deal. Is this worth it? Any opinions are appreciated.

870 - Universal Audio Interface
686 - XM Radio
619 - Bluetooth Interface for Mobile
541 - Seat Ventilation
XMK - Roll Bar Painted Exterior Clr
XME - Rear Ctr Cons Painted Extr Clr
CDJ - Gear Lever Trim Exterior Color
573 - Automatic Climate Control
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
810 - Floor Mats in Interior Color
P12 - Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor
551 - Porsche Windstop (Deflector)
P23 - PCM 3.0 w/ Extended Navigation
680 - Bose High End Sound Package
640 - Sport Chrono Package Plus
XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrest
P15 - Power Seat Package
342 - Heated Front Seats
409 - 18" Cayman S II wheel
Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Obviously a very personal decision, but if it were me I'd save up enough money for a 981S purchase, even if it took me a couple years. Your 2010 has taken its biggest depreciation hit, so waiting a couple more years shouldn't hurt the value of your Boxster nearly as much as it did the first few years. If your heart is set on the 2010 S you might get another estimate on your car. My wife always sells her Audis to CarMax, and they always pay her a lot more for her car than the Audi dealer.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:06 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input Fast 1, I did not know about Car Max I will look into that option. If you sell to Car Max do you still pay sales tax on only the difference of the new car to the old car? I have also considered waiting for a 981 S. Is it conclusive that the 981 is a better car than the 987? I am still on the fence about the styling of the 981 vs the 987. I know I much prefer the 987 Cayman to the 981 Cayman but with Boxsters I am undecided on which body style I like better. I guess since I have already taken the big depreciation hit on my Base Box there is some logic to keeping it for a while.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 797 Likes on 525 Posts

I don't see Xenons listed on the new car. Omission? I LOVE mine.

As for waiting for the 981S, some are not liking the new steering, as it is being described as being "numb".

I'd say that unless you want to 'track' your car, the 'S' probably isn't worth the price difference. Keep what you have and be happy driving it. Few others have the opportunity to drive the world's finest production roadster.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:06 PM
fast1
Race Car

1. You only get the tax credit on a trade-in, so you would lose the tax advantage if you sold your car at CarMax. maybe you could use it to try to persuade yoir dealer to give you a better price however.
2. There are many car reviews of the 981 and the consensus is that it is a big improvement over the 987, but ultimately that will be your call. Nevertheless, if I were you I would strongly recommend that you consider the 981S before you make your final decision. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:22 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Kevin Rohrer;10267007]I don't see Xenons listed on the new car. Omission? I LOVE mine.

As for waiting for the 981S, some are not liking the new steering, as it is being described as being "numb".

I'd say that unless you want to 'track' your car, the 'S' probably isn't worth the price difference. Keep what you have and be happy driving it. Few others have the opportunity to drive the world's finest production roadster.

Kevin, nice blue box, is it an S and which blue is that, and which model year.. I asked the dealer about the Xenons and he said the car has them, but the photos show no head light washers (which is preferable in my book) but is that possible to have Xenons and no washers? It is also odd that the spec list does not show them. As the dealer is about 4 1/2 hours away I have not taken the drive to see the car yet.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
1. You only get the tax credit on a trade-in, so you would lose the tax advantage if you sold your car at CarMax. maybe you could use it to try to persuade yoir dealer to give you a better price however.
2. There are many car reviews of the 981 and the consensus is that it is a big improvement over the 987, but ultimately that will be your call. Nevertheless, if I were you I would strongly recommend that you consider the 981S before you make your final decision. Good luck.
Fast 1, I will test drive a 981 S however to own one will require a lot more $$$ out than the 987 S I am considering.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:36 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by meteor10
Fast 1, I will test drive a 981 S however to own one will require a lot more $$$ out than the 987 S I am considering.
If you can keep the option list short on the 981, and get a good discount (many dealers are offering 8% off list) it may not be that bad for you. The lesson that I learned from the school of hard knocks is not to buy a car that you really don't want just because it costs less. Chances are that you will be trading that car in within a couple of years, and take a big depreciation hit. If you can swing it financially, buy the car you love and keep it for at least six years, hopefully even longer.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:07 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

If you can keep the option list short on the 981, and get a good discount (many dealers are offering 8% off list) it may not be that bad for you. The lesson that I learned from the school of hard knocks is not to buy a car that you really don't want just because it costs less. Chances are that you will be trading that car in within a couple of years, and take a big depreciation hit. If you can swing it financially, buy the car you love and keep it for at least six years, hopefully even longer.
Thats good advice however when I bought my Base Box I didn't have the "disease" yet. I traded in a Audi TT and I had little knowledge of P Cars. I did not know then that I would want an S in a year. I certainly can live with what I have for a while but there is that little devil sitting on my left shoulder urging me on to the next new thing. So I guess that I have to make sure that the next move I make will keep me satisfied for quite a while.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I would make your decision based upon which one really attracts you the most both in appearance and performance.

I love the 981 but not enough to switch my Spyder for it!

Regarding the trade in value, I would look at KBB and compare what they're offering you for your trade Vs. the cars retail value. Do the same for the Boxster S and see what the differentials are between both. You can get an idea of how much profit the dealer is going to make and use this to negotiate. Seems to me that the difference between the two is higher than it should be.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I would make your decision based upon which one really attracts you the most both in appearance and performance.

I love the 981 but not enough to switch my Spyder for it!

Regarding the trade in value, I would look at KBB and compare what they're offering you for your trade Vs. the cars retail value. Do the same for the Boxster S and see what the differentials are between both. You can get an idea of how much profit the dealer is going to make and use this to negotiate. Seems to me that the difference between the two is higher than it should be.

Good luck with your decision.
But let's see your resolve when the 981 Boxster Spyder is released in a couple of years
Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

But let's see your resolve when the 981 Boxster Spyder is released in a couple of years
That really depends on how far Porsche goes with it. They'll need to have something even more extreme than mine to make me want to switch. I say that because the interior on the 981 is a bit much for a focused, no frills sports car and the 981 already utilizes aluminum hood/doors so there are fewer places to remove weight for a Spyder version.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That really depends on how far Porsche goes with it. They'll need to have something even more extreme than mine to make me want to switch. I say that because the interior on the 981 is a bit much for a focused, no frills sports car and the 981 already utilizes aluminum hood/doors so there are fewer places to remove weight for a Spyder version.
Maybe the 350 HP engine on the 991 would do the trick.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 797 Likes on 525 Posts
Default Xenons, We Don't Got No Steenking Xenons!

Kevin, nice blue box, is it an S and which blue is that, and which model year..
The red brake calipers denote that it is an 'S'. The color is Aqua Blue Metallic, and it is a 2009.

I asked the dealer about the Xenons and he said the car has them, but the photos show no head light washers (which is preferable in my book) but is that possible to have Xenons and no washers? It is also odd that the spec list does not show them.
No washers means no Xenons. If the spec sheet doesn't list them, then it confirms: no Xenons.

Xenons and accompanying washers:

Revelation: Salesmen will lie to those they think are ignorant.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:59 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer
The red brake calipers denote that it is an 'S'. The color is Aqua Blue Metallic, and it is a 2009.

No washers means no Xenons. If the spec sheet doesn't list them, then it confirms: no Xenons.

Revelation: Salesmen will lie to those they think are ignorant.

Stupid me, I did not notice the red calipers in your photo denoting the S model. As for the salesman, I will have to grill him on the Xenons. It would be cool if the car had them but the washers were deleted. I have these on my current car and never use them, as they just splatter the car with fluid.

Quick Reply: Help! Boxster S purchase advice