Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer acting up...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:20 AM
mr_quick
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer acting up...

Hey all,

I've been a Porsche owner for the past 2 months. I own a base model 2007 Cayman. The car has roughly 49k miles and is acting odd.

Problem: Almost daily, the computer will warn me about my Right-Rear tire pressure and will say that it's not working. (doesn't look low at all) If I pull a tight right corner it usually reads the tire. The weird thing is that sometimes the computer tells me that all of the Tire Pressure Monitors aren't working and it can't read their PSI.

The little diagram with all four tires has blank lines and my instrument cluster is riddles with " ! "s. I know it could be a bad monitor in that certain tire, but why do they all go out?

Any ideas before I take it in?? Again, I'm brand new to the Porsche game and apologize for any newbie questions or remarks.

Thanks,
Carlo
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The monitors are battery powered. Eventually the battery goes dead. Could be as simple as that.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:23 AM
mr_quick
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The monitors are battery powered. Eventually the battery goes dead. Could be as simple as that.
Is this something I can check or do I have to take it in?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM
skippster123
7th Gear

Default man you said...what a pain re: tire pressure

I was just about to post the same problem. My 08 Cayman S started giving me funky readings about 2 weeks ago when the weather started to get cold. The dash display said my tire pressures were down to 28 at 31, about 5 pound lower than usual. But the left right generated a warning light and (-4) next to it. That can't be I thought. So I put 5 pounds in all tires with a little extra in the left rear. They all read 33 on the dash display after that! So I used a regular tire pressure gauge and it said 32 in the front and 36 in the back (39 in the left rear). At this point I trust the handheld more than the dash board but at least the emergency light went out. I let a few lbs out of the left rear. Anyone have anything to add? Is it just a battery for that sensor?
Old 12-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by skippster123
I was just about to post the same problem. My 08 Cayman S started giving me funky readings about 2 weeks ago when the weather started to get cold. The dash display said my tire pressures were down to 28 at 31, about 5 pound lower than usual. But the left right generated a warning light and (-4) next to it. That can't be I thought. So I put 5 pounds in all tires with a little extra in the left rear. They all read 33 on the dash display after that! So I used a regular tire pressure gauge and it said 32 in the front and 36 in the back (39 in the left rear). At this point I trust the handheld more than the dash board but at least the emergency light went out. I let a few lbs out of the left rear. Anyone have anything to add? Is it just a battery for that sensor?
Nothing certain. My 08 Cayman S had TPMS and I loved it once I got it sorted out. It wasn't too hard and though unfortunately my time with the car was very short and I do not remember the details.

But all I had to go by was the owners manual.

You have to be sure the tire pressures are right with a reliable/accurate tire pressure gage.

The tire pressures must be set with the tires cold and even out of direct sunlight.

Then I seem to recall resetting the TPMS system and once this was done the readout -- I checked with a tire pressure gage -- reflected reality.

Once I had confidence the TPMS system I relied upon it then on. It was interesting to observe the tire pressure heating up from driving, even having the car parked on the sun with sunlight heating one or two tires.

Then that crazy old woman talking on a cell phone in her crap box Volvo smashed into my beloved Cayman S and totaled it. 4 weeks old. Sigh.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:07 PM
jmt053
Advanced

I have a 981 (2016). Last Sunday I took the car out in the morning to go to breakfast. When I got back I got a TPMS error showing my tire was -4 pounds on the low side even though the dash image showed the tire had 28 lbs of air. Took it home and put 30 lbs in each tire. I still got the error. I called my local dealer and asked about it. The 981 has a "Fill" pressure. The system was reading a different pressure than my compressor and digital gauge (both the compressor and the gauge were the same). The service guy told me to fill the tires to match the "Fill" level and the light will go out. This was due to the recent colder weather. I went back and filled the tires to 32 lbs. The light went out and the "Fill" indicates +1 for each tire. According the dealer, he gets a call on this almost every day this time of year. Just an FYI for any other 981 owner with the same issue.

Quick Reply: Computer acting up...