Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tubi exhaust legal in MA

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:05 PM
headcrabz
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tubi exhaust legal in MA

Hi I just purchased this tubi exhaust for my 987 boxster. would anyone know if it is legal in MA? heard they had a "no louder than stock exhaust " law passed in 2007 ? also does it pass the smog test? does anybody have any numbers as to whats the permitted numbers and how much would my numbers change if I change the exhaust. I tried a lot searching online, didnt find anything useful or concrete.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Most recent visits to the inspection station included a simple plug into the OBDII Port to make sure all systems were functional. No smog testing or sound testing that I have observed. I think as long as your not changing out the cats you will be fine. Hopefully someone else can confirm as well.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:47 AM
headcrabz
Track Day

Thanks MarineBlue, these performance exhaust take out 2 cats as they claim 2 are unnecessary.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by headcrabz
tubi exhaust legal in MA?
No.

The 'muffler law' is loosely worded so that if you get caught with a non-stock exhaust designed to alter the sound of the exhaust from stock, you can be compelled to remove it. There is no decibel threshold. The law is painted with a very broad brush.

For that matter, little things such as license plate frames obscuring the plate wording, clear front side markers, or tires that exceed the width of the fender wells (got spacers?) are also 'illegal' in MA.

If you drive responsibly, and do not get stopped by a officer (or a inspection station) who is bent on busting your chops, you will probably not be bothered.

Are you feeling lucky?

BD
Old 11-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 134 Posts

I have a Tubi on a 2007 Cayman S. It is significantly louder then stock and has an annoying drone at lower rpms. I love the sound on the track at WOT. I have had no issues with emissions inspection in PA. Basically, if you have no CEL, you pass an OBD II emission test.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
headcrabz
Track Day

Thanks Bill, Boston Dude.

Boston Dude : I see what you mean ... bit its not evidently illegal right?

Bill, how bad is the drone, I do a lot of daily driving, is it too irritating? they say its the exhaust with the least drone. what rpms do you typically observe it. and how do you get around it ? changing your rpm driving habbits ? is all the pain worth it?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:21 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The tubi exhaust for the DI cars is not as loud or 'droney' as the version for the non-DI cars.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:48 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right from Mass Gerneral Law Part 1; title XIV; C90; S16.

"No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust."

Enforceable by moving violation, or at vehicle inspection

BD
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

unless it's a motorcycle

Quick Reply: tubi exhaust legal in MA