Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burning oil on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 PM
radwansk
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning oil on cold start

Probably nothing but needing to top off oil but I thought I'd ask. 2008 gen1 987 w/2.7. Driven daily with 56k mi. Only on cold start for about a minute or so the car burns oil. Is this an idiosyncrasy? It's been a gem until I noticed this just recently. Last oil change was in May.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:20 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you say burns oil do you mean a little bit of blueish smoke or a thick whitish blue smoke? If the latter, it could be the AOS. The test is to take off the oil cap while the car is running and put your hand over the tube to seal it. You should feel just the slightest vacuum if the AOS is ok.

These cars occasionally get a puff of blue smoke in the morning, which is normal, but if you get it on every start up I would look into it further.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:12 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Modern Porsche Boxer engines are designed for tight tolerances at operating temperature; small amounts of oil can get past the seals when it's cold, but should stop once it's warm. If you run your car and then turn it off cold, there are larger than normal gaps between the pistons and engine block, and some oil can seep into and accumulate in the cylinders, resulting in puffs of oil the next time you start the car.

If this only happens after turning the car off cold, and not when you park it after it's hot, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 PM
radwansk
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds like my symptoms. I'll check that out as you recommend.

Quick Reply: burning oil on cold start