Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman R or Wait For New Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:44 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I am thinking the same thing. Cayman R or wait for the next gen Cayman. The 991 has gone too GT and too big. I don't like an electric brake, 7 speed gear box, sun roof, the center console is to luxury with too many buttons and I don't really want a car with so many electronic driving assists. I want a pure driving car that I can learn to drive without the car correcting my mistakes.

I am not sure that the new Cayman S will get the same styling cues from the new Boxster. Looking at spy shots and video it has gotten a rather large rear window and to me resembles the back of a Panamera. The side mirrors get moved to the door but big deal. The fog light remains the same, the side intake looks the same and not updated like the new Boxster. I heard the new Cayman S will only have 325 hp, I guess this will keep it upgradeable and under the 350hp the base 991 has.

The Cayman R has 330 hp, it is all ready lowered and has GT2 RS seats. Combined with a sport shift to reduce the gear throws and a sport exhaust there is nothing to do on the car except protect it with clear bra.
I am leaning towards the R. My guess is the next gen R will not be out for 3-4 years, right after my lease is out on it if I go with the R.

Last edited by jumper5836; 10-11-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by djm68
I purchased a 2012 Cayman R, built to my specs -- very few options. It is a fantastic car and I'd buy it again, only I'd skip the Porsche Sports Exhaust and go aftermarket.

Cheers,
DJM
For what reason? I didn't get PSE with my 996 C4S and went after market. But I have a friend with PSE on his C4S and it sounds amazing and he can turn it off when he wants. Many tracks have sound checks and if your car is to loud you won't pass inspection.

Also around here, all the dealers are dismissing any warranty claims if you have any mods done. Guys have to go stock before bringing in the car to get the work done. Pretty crazy.

Last edited by jumper5836; 10-11-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 AM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayman R

Test drove the new Boxter S today, then got back in my Cayman R and just loved it more.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:52 AM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Ross
Test drove the new Boxter S today, then got back in my Cayman R and just loved it more.
Care to elaborate? Very interested in your thoughts.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:01 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd guess the boxter felt quite 'digital' in comparison.
electro-steering and all that fandangled techno-wizardry....
Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I have a 993 (actually a Ruf BTR) and a base Cayman. I know mine is neither a Cayman R nor an CS, but it is one of the most enjoyable ride I have owned (including E39 M5 and supercharged Miata). I have no options so it is the lightest Cayman one can buy. It really is a joy. I don't know why I need more power (I don't track the Cayman).

I agree with John. Do not sell the 993. That is a very special car. I drove my Cayman and my Ruf back-to-back many times. While I love the modern Cayman, it does not speak to my driving emotions like the Ruf. You will not regret owning both at the same time.

CP
Old 10-16-2012, 01:58 AM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 or Cayman R?

Hello

Let me provide some colour behind my comments on the new Boxter, and my thoughts on switching from the 993...

First, I agree with comments from John and CP -> Don't sell the 993! I had the 993 Turbo and a 993 C2 and really regret selling them. Over here in Oz they still command big dollars for their age, and have not depreciated in at least 10 years. If anything they are more highly sought after.

Second, and this is important, the Cayman R, as good as it is, WILL depreciate fast. I went into this eyes open. I had sold my other cars, including my Ferrari 328GTS (my son was diagnosed with Wilson's Disease and the world stopped). I bought the Cayman R frankly on impulse. I went to test drive it and was SO impressed I bought it there and then. It's a stunning drive.
I have the PDK with Chrono pack, paddleshifts etc.... and it rocks.

So, assuming you still want something in addition to the 993, you then have a choice between the new Boxter S and the Cayman R. My personal take is that if you want a soft top sports car - get a Boxter Spyder. It's a very cool, and very capable car, and a reasonable take on something close to the Cayman R, but it's a soft top. If you want something that feels much much more like a purist drivers car (like a GT3, but half the price... and NOT half the performance) then there's just nothing on the road today IMHO that comes close to the Cayman R. Yes. It is that good.

As I mentioned above, I drove the new Boxter S. I love the styling, and can't wait to see what the new Cayman looks like in the later styling... but be clear - this is not a hard core sports car. It is very much more a luxury GT performance car... that's my opinion. Others may disagree. Each to their own. The Boxter drove extremely well, it was fun and the finish inside was fantastic. It felt like an expense car. The one I drove had the sports pack, so you could put it in Sports Mode. It also had the option where the car shuts down at the lights - drove me nuts. The good news is you can turn it off.

Bottom line is, the Boxter is a real step up from previous versions, and if you want a great daily driver, with a soft top, then go for it! But it is NOT a pure drivers car... again, my opinion only. The Cayman R is stiff, lower than a norman Cayman, lighter and it hard to live with as a daily driver. I use it 3 or 4 times a week, and I live with it because as soon as I get in it just makes so much sense. I love what it does. Getting in and out is cumbersome due to the racing seats, every bump rattles your fillings, and even though you can leave it out of sports mode (it has normal, Sports and Sports PLUS) - you find that you get in and put at least Sports Mode on. Cos you can. That's why.

Oh, and Launch Control - it's there, and you never use it... but it's there. So every now and then when a new friend gets in you are obliged to find a quite road, and show it off. And when you do it leaves a smile a mile wide - it's awesome. But that's it.

I've also done two track days so far, and there is very little that the Cayman R can't chase down. I'll put my reputation on the line here - a good driver in a Cayman R will hunt down and pass an average driver in a GT3.

So, getting into the new Boxter had that "ohh Ahh" feeling for the first 30 mins. Then it was a Boxter.... great car, better than before, but kinda what I expected. Getting out of the Boxter and into the Cayman R - even though I have driven the Cayman again and again... just felt like "Oh my God... NOW I remember why I love this car so much"

And then every mile I drive is the same. It's just so much fun. Every corner, driving off from the lights. The open highway. Flicking the PDK to Manual and using the F1 style paddles to go up and down through the gears. Sports Mode. Sports PLUS mode ... and the sound. The Sports Exhaust is fantastic!

Ok... sounds like I may have got carried away... but in a CR... you just do!

Cheers.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:58 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

/\/\....WOW, sold me & I'm not even looking, lol.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Foozed
Track Day

Hello

Let me provide some colour behind my comments on the new Boxter, and my thoughts on switching from the 993...

First, I agree with comments from John and CP -> Don't sell the 993! I had the 993 Turbo and a 993 C2 and really regret selling them. Over here in Oz they still command big dollars for their age, and have not depreciated in at least 10 years. If anything they are more highly sought after.

Second, and this is important, the Cayman R, as good as it is, WILL depreciate fast. I went into this eyes open. I had sold my other cars, including my Ferrari 328GTS (my son was diagnosed with Wilson's Disease and the world stopped). I bought the Cayman R frankly on impulse. I went to test drive it and was SO impressed I bought it there and then. It's a stunning drive.
I have the PDK with Chrono pack, paddleshifts etc.... and it rocks.

So, assuming you still want something in addition to the 993, you then have a choice between the new Boxter S and the Cayman R. My personal take is that if you want a soft top sports car - get a Boxter Spyder. It's a very cool, and very capable car, and a reasonable take on something close to the Cayman R, but it's a soft top. If you want something that feels much much more like a purist drivers car (like a GT3, but half the price... and NOT half the performance) then there's just nothing on the road today IMHO that comes close to the Cayman R. Yes. It is that good.

As I mentioned above, I drove the new Boxter S. I love the styling, and can't wait to see what the new Cayman looks like in the later styling... but be clear - this is not a hard core sports car. It is very much more a luxury GT performance car... that's my opinion. Others may disagree. Each to their own. The Boxter drove extremely well, it was fun and the finish inside was fantastic. It felt like an expense car. The one I drove had the sports pack, so you could put it in Sports Mode. It also had the option where the car shuts down at the lights - drove me nuts. The good news is you can turn it off.

Bottom line is, the Boxter is a real step up from previous versions, and if you want a great daily driver, with a soft top, then go for it! But it is NOT a pure drivers car... again, my opinion only. The Cayman R is stiff, lower than a norman Cayman, lighter and it hard to live with as a daily driver. I use it 3 or 4 times a week, and I live with it because as soon as I get in it just makes so much sense. I love what it does. Getting in and out is cumbersome due to the racing seats, every bump rattles your fillings, and even though you can leave it out of sports mode (it has normal, Sports and Sports PLUS) - you find that you get in and put at least Sports Mode on. Cos you can. That's why.

Oh, and Launch Control - it's there, and you never use it... but it's there. So every now and then when a new friend gets in you are obliged to find a quite road, and show it off. And when you do it leaves a smile a mile wide - it's awesome. But that's it.

I've also done two track days so far, and there is very little that the Cayman R can't chase down. I'll put my reputation on the line here - a good driver in a Cayman R will hunt down and pass an average driver in a GT3.

So, getting into the new Boxter had that "ohh Ahh" feeling for the first 30 mins. Then it was a Boxter.... great car, better than before, but kinda what I expected. Getting out of the Boxter and into the Cayman R - even though I have driven the Cayman again and again... just felt like "Oh my God... NOW I remember why I love this car so much"

And then every mile I drive is the same. It's just so much fun. Every corner, driving off from the lights. The open highway. Flicking the PDK to Manual and using the F1 style paddles to go up and down through the gears. Sports Mode. Sports PLUS mode ... and the sound. The Sports Exhaust is fantastic!

Ok... sounds like I may have got carried away... but in a CR... you just do!

Cheers.
Hell Yeah!!!!

Exactly how I feel!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i'd guess the boxter felt quite 'digital' in comparison.
electro-steering and all that fandangled techno-wizardry....
I did a few laps with the 981 and 991 at Sebring this week in the Porsche Road Show. I was favorably impressed with the handling and it was not til I was driving home that I remembered these cars have electro-steering. That's how much of a non issue it is, at least IMO at track speeds.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:45 PM
kevin993
Rennlist Member

This is a very interesting thread to read. I have a 1997 993 cab and had it out at a track day on Monday. I love the 993 out on the open road, but I got left for dead by a friend's 997 and I was miles faster when I drove a spec Boxster on the track. The Spec Boxter was admittedly more track prepared, so it isn't a fair comparison. However, it gave so much more confidence in the corners and was much easier to throw around. For the first time EVER, I actually drove home in my 993 thinking about how to get more seat time in a Spec Boxter or Cayman. I have no interest in selling my 993 - others at the track raved about the car and their regrets about selling years before.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

I drove a 991 and a 981 back to back at Barber Motorsports Park earlier this year. Between the two, I'd definitely choose the 981. Throw a Cayman R into the mix, and choice becomes even more clear. Cayman R > 981 Boxster S > 991 Carrera

Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Here it is. It looks great but 325 hp. As for me I decided to get a 996 Turbo. Love the new Cayman but it's just to under powered.

Originally Posted by Ronan
http://jalopnik.com/5963898/2013-porsche-cayman-a-porsche-coupe-that-will-make-you-weak-in-the-knees

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/11...mk2-first.html

Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

. I'll put my reputation on the line here - a good driver in a Cayman R will hunt down and pass an average driver in a GT3.
No need to put your reputation on the line. A good driver in a Miata will pass an average driver in a GT3.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:45 PM
skippster123
7th Gear

I had the 1995 c2 as well for several years. I have an 08 Cayman S with an upgraded exhaust and software package. Once you go Cayman you never go back.

Quick Reply: Cayman R or Wait For New Cayman S?