Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my 1st mid engine Porsche!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:25 AM
matmanx1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 18Wheeler
Oh btw if any one is concerned about me getting a good price on a Cayman I'll give you a little future outlook on em. Over my two year + search there has only been a handful of 05 or newer Boxster S's and 06 Cayman S manuals for sale for less than $30k. Of those there were a few at around or below $25k. This is retail dealer internet pricing and private party combined. Maybe 11 at most under 30k and a few here and there under 25k. And this is nationally in a country of 325 million souls. Supply and demand. As and after the 981 varients get released you may see more earlier model 987s traded and thus temp supplies increase on the wholesale market. You'll see more on the market in the 25k to 30k range but it won't be for at least 2 or so more years before they'll rock bottom out at say low 18's for early BoxS and $20-$22K for Crockidiles with miles, I mean Caymans as there's never really that many. If this concerns you, don't worry this is rock bottom and this is in time and probably awhile if you like yours as much as I like mine. And all of early 986 S have bottomed at $15k retail for now. Say they (the early 986S) go down to 10k to 13k a real affordable price for a high performance Porsche. After that it's again supply and demand and you may see price go back up slightly, depending on whether or not the market is favorable. I may never sell mine. My plan is to pay it off like my Audi and keep it as long possable. I don't even know if I'll really ever want a 981 enough even when I can afford it because of its electric power steering. So that's one less on the market
Thanks for sharing your observations and research. This is very relevant to my interests at this point because I have my eye on the Cayman market as well after deciding that convertible ownership (and hence a Boxster) just wasn't for me.

I'm pretty much narrowed down to either a pre-owned Cayman or a (don't shoot me) new BMW 128i for my next car but won't be ready to be serious about purchasing until after Christmas. My heart is with the Cayman as I fell in love with it from the very first test drive but the new 128i would certainly have some things that the Cayman wouldn't (like a back seat and almost no maintenance costs for the 4yr/50k mile warranty period) and is still a great driving car. Decisions, decisions!
Old 09-01-2012, 09:44 PM
18Wheeler
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I considered a 335i Bimmer too, but there's just nothing like a Porsche, especially the Cayman and I already own my 5 seater Audi. Good luck on you're decision
Old 09-01-2012, 09:47 PM
18Wheeler
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
There's just one problem with the 987/981:their handling is so dam addictive. It's not easy transitioning from a mid engine car to a RWD or worse yet a FWD car.
Try transitioning into an 80,000 pound 18 wheeler!

Quick Reply: Just got my 1st mid engine Porsche!!!