Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone used Hankook Ventus R-S3's on track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:34 PM
its about time...
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone used Hankook Ventus R-S3's on track?

I'm looking for an 'R' tire available in 18" sizes for my RS60 and this is the only one turning up on Tire Rack matching both sizes front and back. anyone have track experience with them? I'm wondering how well they work for DE.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

The R-S3 is not an R compound tire. It is an extreme performance summer tire similar to the RE-11 and AD08. Which are both excellent choices as well.

Hankook does have an R comp - the Ventus Z214.

I've heard lots of good things about the R-S3. I have had great luck with the RE-11, so I'll probably stick with that or go with NT-01's when I feel the need for an R compound tire. NT-01's are awesome and come in the correct 18" sizes. Discount tire carries the Nittos.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:30 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

For track tires, you should be looking outside of OEM sizes anyhow to maximize grip and dial out some of that understeer. I'm running 245/35R18 & 285/30R18 Kumho V710 which are a bit on the soft side for DE, but I know there are a good variety of track tires available for you.

That said, Hankook RS3 is a very good tire that loves heat, and is popular for DE. But it's a very sticky street tire vice an r-compound racing tire, so you're giving up some grip vice a straight-up r-comp.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 PM
its about time...
Instructor

Thanks for the good info guys! now I just have to decide on when to do the GT3 lower control arms. local dealer told me that installing them will void the CPO on the front suspension systems

Jim
Old 07-30-2012, 05:25 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by its about time...
GT3 lower control arms. local dealer told me that installing them will void the CPO on the front suspension systems
Huh? Lame.... may be a good idea to find a different dealer?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:19 PM
JimmyT
Intermediate

Jim, I see that the "bug" is getting to you! You know my car - midnight blue 2.7, #308 - and I run yoko AD08's now, with GT3 lower control arms. I've been really happy with my tires, their life has impressed me, but it's largely due to the extra camber, so I wholeheartedly recommend the arms. I was in the same boat as you but did them anyway with a year left on my CPO, because I rationalized that it was an investment in tire life, and what could go wrong with the suspension under warranty, anyway. Nitto's seem to be popular in our region, but I think the extreme summer street tires are safer for our engines and foster learning to drive more efficiently, because you can learn the limits easier. You have to drive a little better line with less grip, so you are 'forced' to learn to drive. They also seem to have lasted me about 2x the days that some guys are seeing from their sets of nitto's, which is a lot of gas $.

Anyway, the reason I posted is mainly that I've been looking at stickier tires than mine for my next set, probably early next season, and am on the fence about trying Nitto's, but have read the r-s3 is pretty sticky for a street tire that could still be driven to the track, at least until really worn. If you get them I'll be eager to discuss your impressions.

Hope to see you at last fling, Good luck.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys, what about Michelin Super Sports? Probably the best street tires money can buy right now.

Yes, I get a commission every time I say that.... just kidding.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:33 PM
JimmyT
Intermediate

By the way, you probably don't need different sizes to dial out understeer, the lower arms would make a pretty big difference in that regard, and you could always add sway bars, which are (relatively) cheap, and have transient benefits as well.

I run stock sizes, and witness the decoration I added from the apex almost all the way to the track out curbing of T6 at Brainerd Sunday, tweaking pressures F/R is all it takes to get my car to oversteer with trail braking or with power just fine...
Old 07-31-2012, 12:35 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a set of R-S3s as track tires on my 997 4S. I put 300 track miles on them and they still had plenty of tread remaining. Their most distinctive feature was very good turn-in behavior. I would buy them again.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:32 AM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I had track experience with them. However the limited AX experience I have had with them has been great for what they are. I ran A6s previously... Not the same, but great value none the less.

Quick Reply: has anyone used Hankook Ventus R-S3's on track?