Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman as both daily driver and track car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 06:21 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rad,

The transmission cooler w/pump - do you consider that required for the 9A1 with manual tranny, pdk or both?

And who's would you recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited by stevecolletti; 07-15-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by treegarden
Thanks to all for the great information. I had been told of the pre-'09 engine issues, so it's good to have that confirmed. I'm limiting my search to '09 or later.

I am relatively new to track days (5 so far, in my current car, which is NOT a Porsche!) so am unlikely to drive a Porsche to its limit very soon. Sounds like I'd be able to start out stock, then add mods as I get faster.

@Bill Lehman: what are "DEs"?

Thanks again!
If I were you, instead of buying a $55k 09 CS, I would buy a $35k 06 CS for the street and with the $20k you saved buy a 944 Turbo or older 911 as a dedicated track car.

I used to track cars a lot but you will ruin your nice car, even more so if you crash or someone crashes into you. You will crash sooner or later.

Better to run a dedicated track that you can load up with R-compound tires, roll cage, suspension, etc. and if you crash at the track you'll have the cash to buy another one since its not your daily driver
Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 71 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for some of the info that NJ-GT posted, and it might help some newer members.

My 1st Gen Cayman has been great, but I've wondered if I should go with Gen 2 when the CPO runs out next year. After reading all of this, and taking into account the difference in cost between the cars, it seems I'm better off keeping the Gen 1 car, and making the requisite reliability mods.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:08 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cds4402
I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for some of the info that NJ-GT posted, and it might help some newer members.

My 1st Gen Cayman has been great, but I've wondered if I should go with Gen 2 when the CPO runs out next year. After reading all of this, and taking into account the difference in cost between the cars, it seems I'm better off keeping the Gen 1 car, and making the requisite reliability mods.
I'm a big fan of my Gen 1 Cayman S after one year- 9000 miles, 8 track days. GT3 seats, harnesses, PSS9's, brake upgrades, Fabspeed, IPD, Mantis Oil pan, Motorsports Air/Oil separator, Accusump, insulated steering lines, PSM override.

I don't drive mine daily, but I would. Dealing with oiling issues is not that expensive, and upgrade as you learn. Oh, and you don't have to crash at the track
Old 08-20-2013, 10:23 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DogInBlack
I'm a big fan of my Gen 1 Cayman S after one year- 9000 miles, 8 track days. GT3 seats, harnesses, PSS9's, brake upgrades, Fabspeed, IPD, Mantis Oil pan, Motorsports Air/Oil separator, Accusump, insulated steering lines, PSM override.

I don't drive mine daily, but I would. Dealing with oiling issues is not that expensive, and upgrade as you learn. Oh, and you don't have to crash at the track
Yeah, I'd like to do the above mods to mine as well. I'm only just now moving into the intermediate group with pboc (have only done 2 DEs). So I think I have some time before I really start needing mods.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:46 AM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

I was in the same boat but when you calculate everything. Its better off to just stick with the Gen 1.
Gen 2s are rarer and much pricier.
There were a bunch more Gen 1s made and the parts are getting somewhat cheaper..... keep it and slowly mod it...
If I upgrade, it would be a GT3, but then I would get scared of denting or crashing so.... I think I'll probably keep mine for a long time... eventually gut it, cage it, etc and get a nice, quick car for the road....

Its better off that way... the perfect dd/track car doesn't exist once you go down the slippery slope...

Old 08-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Foreign Traffic
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just going to fly this out here, we have several Caymans and Boxsters with low miles. They would be a great base for a track/daily project, and we can arrange shipping for these cars if need be,

http://www.foreign-traffic.com/index.php
Old 09-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
You will be able to start out using a stock Cayman as a double duty car, no problem. As your skills progress, you will want to modify the car for better performance and safety on the track. Each track modification will make the car a bit less suitable as a daily driver - stiffer suspension, altered alignment, more noise, etc.

In the long run, many who become hard-core track addicts will end up with a dedicated track car. In all honesty, it's far cheaper to start out with a dedicated track car and a dedicated street car instead of compromising on both fronts. Just another option. Many of us have discovered this the hard way.
Is the "R" your dedicated track car?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did a 2600 mile road trip that included 5 track days in 90 degree weather and my Cayman R did not miss a beat. 100% Stock. What a car !!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:53 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

How much does it cost to do the essential mods listed in NJGT post for track work?
Old 11-06-2013, 09:22 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tasman
How much does it cost to do the essential mods listed in NJGT post for track work?
He says between 8-10k in his post (including labor).

At this point, I'm thinking I will just keep the Cayman past CPO expiration, and maybe just get an extended powertrain warranty (in addition to doing some of the items on NJGT's list).

Last edited by cds4402; 11-06-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:32 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by cds4402
He says between 8-10k in his post (including labor).
Sorry my bad. Guess I need to learn to READ.

Thanks
Tal
Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Sorry my bad. Guess I need to learn to READ.

Thanks
Tal
No worries. It's still early in the day.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 AM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

I am close to making a deal on another car too far away for trade in so my 2010 cayman S 6spd manual will have to go. Anyone who can beat CarMax's offer on the car within the next week or two can likely steal it from me. It's just not enough time to place ads on auto trader and the like.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:58 AM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

All the safety, cooling, and oiling mods definitely agree with. Suspension upgrades for sticker r-comps or slicks are probable, but front brakes I feel are cooling and feel issue. GT3 master cylinder definitely helps, but I plan on removing the inside dust shield and later possibly taking out the fog lights and putting an air duct for the front brakes, but master cylinder change is definitely the right step.

Quick Reply: Cayman as both daily driver and track car?