Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing drive belt in 987

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing drive belt in 987

Has anyone changed the drive belt it a 987. Is the access still through the section behind the seats and the belt located at the front of the engine?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Pnug
Intermediate

Yes, you will need loosen up the torq bolts on the luggage bar, slide the carpet behind the seating down from the top. Then you'll have access to the front engine cover. Not positive you need to do the luggage bar but when I changed out my belt I took it off because that's how bbi did it when they installed my under drive pulley.

Make sure you draw a "good" diagram or take a "good" picture of the belt before removing it. Otherwise there is a way that looks right that is just a bit too tight to go on. Not a big job if you have a basic mechanical knowledge and the correct bit and tools. Torq bolt is not the standard so make sure you've got the right kind (correct number of point). If I was a home I'd go check for you.

Less than an hour even if you take your time.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A very simple DIY project.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:12 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

I saw on line that a 24 mm wrench on one of the pullys with a cw turn will take the tension off the belt. Is this an eccentric so if I give it a 1/2 turn and put it back a 1/2 turn I will have the propper tension or is there a deflection measurement?

Quick Reply: Changing drive belt in 987