Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tachometer Lens Cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Damillster
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tachometer Lens Cover

2008 Boxster S

I have a small crack in the clear plastic lens that covers the tachometer. I’m having a VERY DIFFICULT time finding a replacement. Porsche says that part isn’t sold separately and that I would have to buy the entire gauge cluster.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:47 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What about the guys that advertise in Pano? I think it's VDO? Not sure. Sorry.

Have your tried guys like Sunset Porsche?

LA Dismantlers?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Damillster
8th Gear

Thank you for the quick reply.

I tried VDO, and all they had were full gauge clusters. However, they sent me to Hollywood Speedometer and they had a lens cover they could part out from a defective cluster. Should arrive early next week.

Thanks again for the help! Drive quickly and carefully.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Damillster
8th Gear

Update:

The part I received from Hollywood Speedometer was in worse shape than the one I was trying to replace. It's been about a year and I still haven't found a reasonable solution and the crack is getting bigger.

I can't believe I can't buy this part from Porsche without buying an ENTIRE GAUGE CLUSTER. I check eBay periodically, but so far I haven't been successful.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:22 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe find a shop that would custom cut a new glass for you (search custom auto gauge glass on Google) or maybe a company like this could do it or find a glass in the same diameter: http://www.oldcarlenses.com/
Old 05-24-2013, 03:38 AM
jabo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Damillster
Update:

The part I received from Hollywood Speedometer was in worse shape than the one I was trying to replace. It's been about a year and I still haven't found a reasonable solution and the crack is getting bigger.

I can't believe I can't buy this part from Porsche without buying an ENTIRE GAUGE CLUSTER. I check eBay periodically, but so far I haven't been successful.

Any suggestions?

You might be able to cut some raw plastic in the same shape and replace what you have.
For some guidance, perhaps you can read one of the gauge needle replacement articles on planet-9 or perhaps there is one here.
That should give you enough information on how to gain access to the gauge covers.
You'll want to buy replacement plastic with the same thickness, from there you could use your existing pastic as a template to cut new copies and reinstall.

Quick Reply: Tachometer Lens Cover