Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need to disable the clutch delay valve?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:49 PM
mitch48
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to disable the clutch delay valve?

The take-up on my clutch is pretty touchy, I never feel I can smoothly let it out for take-offs, and I've driven manual tranny cars for nearly 50 years. I still kill the motor sometimes when starting off. I seem to recall that this car ('06 Cayman S) has the clutch delay valve, is that so? If it does, what is involved in removing it? I took them out of my M3's and it was very simple, just take it out, throw it away and re-connect the two pieces of the hydraulic line.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch48
The take-up on my clutch is pretty touchy, I never feel I can smoothly let it out for take-offs, and I've driven manual tranny cars for nearly 50 years. I still kill the motor sometimes when starting off. I seem to recall that this car ('06 Cayman S) has the clutch delay valve, is that so? If it does, what is involved in removing it? I took them out of my M3's and it was very simple, just take it out, throw it away and re-connect the two pieces of the hydraulic line.
News to me if the clutch has some delay valve. I'm not saying it does or doesn't just that I honestly don't know.

What I do know is that if the clutch fluid is reasonably fresh and the clutch (and brake) hydraulic system is properly bled, the clutch action/take up is smooth provided there are no underlying mechanical issues, like possibly a bad dual mass flywheel. These generally make themselves known with a persistent grabby take off. Sometimes clunking noises come from the clutch area of car.

A grabby take off action with no noises can be a worn out clutch. In one case a tech told me about a car that came in with a grabby clutch and upon teardown the tech found the clutch worn to the rivets and these had worn a circular depression in the face of the flywheel. The clutch was not slipping and the flywheel was salvageable (it was out for resurfacing when I viewed the car).

To help myself drive the car better, at least work the clutch better, what I found I needed to do -- with my 02 Boxster -- was to move the seat back just a bit further than I was used to, so that I was sitting just a bit further back from the wheel (and the pedals) than I was used to.

This caused among other things my legs to be more extended, straighter at the knee. As a result, this put my left leg in a better position to better control the clutch and take offs became much smoother, no drama (no stalling the engine) and clutch life has been outstanding (over 250K miles and counting...).

I must admit that once in a great while though I still stall the engine but this happens when I'm tired, in a hurry, distracted, and upset that my dog ate my homework, in any and all combinations. I know a lot of reasons, all true. Well, save for the dog one. I don't own a dog.

If you can check yes to all of the above and the clutch action still isn't to your liking, then if there is a clutch delay valve of some kind removing it might be the answer.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Do I need to disable the clutch delay valve?