Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

metal shaving on oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:39 PM
headcrabz
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default metal shaving on oil filter

I cut open the filter to check for metal shavings. To my surprise there were many tiny tiny metal sprinkles. Although I am not sure if that is something I should expect, or this is an impending sign of IMS failure?
I have attached the pics, what do you guys think ?

Since its not a new engine, I would not expect it to have so many metal shavings in the filter?

Last edited by headcrabz; 03-13-2012 at 01:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gurasis Dhesi (07-29-2021)
Old 02-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

That does look excessive. Hopefully you have some of the oil you can send off to Blackstone labs to be tested for a baseline. Maybe this was the 1st or second oil change for the car. I would finish changing the oil, drive 500 - 1000 miles & then remove the oil filter only & inspect for metal again. Change oil every 3000 miles until the problem goes away then every 5000 miles. This may have been caused by the previous owners running the car hard before reaching operating temp of 180 degrees. You may want to have the IMS guardian from Flat6innovations installed to monitor metal in the oil.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:14 PM
fronesis47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, no: do NOT keep driving that car!

This is a VERY strong sign of impending IMS failure.

Bypodriver gives good advice, in general, for finding metal particles in your oil (change oil frequently, monitor oil closely, hope the shavings go away). But with a 2005 Boxster this is a BAD idea.

Every IMS thread I have read says that the best sign of impending IMS failure is metal shavings in the filter. The IMS could go the next time you drive it. You could, of course, risk it, and hope the shavings came from some place else.

But if it was my Boxster I would either order the upgraded bearing now and replace it, or take the car straight to my indy mechanic.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:50 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've recently bought an 05 Boxster as well and that is a hell of a lot of metal in a filter, I'd get the bearing upgraded just on spec for peice of mind. If you just bought it had the previous oil change not indicated any breakdown of metal from the dealership??

I'm still aghast that that Porsche would have allowed a clear design fault on their part to not be subject to an immediate recall with an upgraded component. It's absolutely disgraceful IMO.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:20 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is why you must do an oil filter dissection during the PPI. May cost an extra $30 to help save you $1,000's.

Call Jake Raby.

Flatbed to your trusted indy shop.

Sorry. Keep us posted.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:27 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
This is why you must do an oil filter dissection during the PPI. May cost an extra $30 to help save you $1,000's.

Call Jake Raby.

Flatbed to your trusted indy shop.

Sorry. Keep us posted.
That's good advice as long as the oil/filter wasn't just changed.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
True. Which is why a smart owner (who will one day become a smart seller) keeps great maintenance history records (and performs UOA's) to present to his/her smart buyer to review.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:48 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

How much flakes/debris is normal in a dissection? Clearly, debris is never a good thing, but is a handful or so tiny flakes in 10,000+ miles common and normal and nothing to worry about?

Edit: poor wording, meant 5 or 6
Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by sjfehr
How much flakes/debris is normal in a dissection? Clearly, debris is never a good thing, but is a handful dozen or so tiny flakes in 10,000+ miles common and normal and nothing to worry about?
Metal flakes? I'd say zero would be good.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Metal flakes? I'd say zero would be good.
Yes, zero would be best, but what's reality? I ask because I finally got around to dissecting the filters from my last two changes and picked up a small # of ferrous flakes in the last 25,000 miles. Engine's still running strong, and oil analysis found slightly elevated copper, with no undue levels of iron.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Yes, zero would be best, but what's reality? I ask because I finally got around to dissecting the filters from my last two changes and picked up a small # of ferrous flakes in the last 25,000 miles. Engine's still running strong, and oil analysis found slightly elevated copper, with no undue levels of iron.
With oil additives aside, copper in the oil "could" indicate excessive bearing wear.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
In case the oil/filter was just changed that is why one must subject the car to a thorough test ride/drive. 30 miles (15 as a passenger), 15 as a driver.

Then the car gets treated to a PPI and then the filter gets checked.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

As others have said that doesn't look good. The metal looks to be ferrous too -- if it was alum. the particles would look like flakes and be very thin.

An engine tear down or even 'just' a LN bearing retrofit at this stage based on the metal may be premature, but the risk is that if it isn't, any more running of the engine could have the engine advance from being resurrected with a bearing retrofit to junk.

Has the engine been making any noises? I would think with that much metal -- assuming it came from the IMS bearing -- would have the engine noisy.

You might consider having the car flat bedded to a qualified shop and the cam timing checked to see if there's any out of spec deviation which could point to the IMS bearing.

Or -- and I don't really like this -- or you could drain the oil, clean the filter housing, replace teh filter and refill the engine with of course the right oil, fresh and then start up the engine and let it idle until about halfway warmed up.

Stay close in case the engine gets noisy while it is idling.

Then shut off the engine and remove the filter housing and dump the contents into a *clean* drain pan and cut apart the filter and see what you see.

What you find or don't find determines what you do next.

You have some tough choices to make.

Sincerely,

Macster.
The following users liked this post:
Paul D. (07-16-2022)
Old 02-12-2012, 07:15 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Call Jake first. Don't run the engine util you talk to him first.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:01 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by headcrabz
Thank you guys, yes definitely thats a lot of metal. it definitely has me worried.
I will try what Byprodriver and one of my other friend recommended, taking out the oil filter and see what it has got in it now.

IDK, not sure if it might be due to some hard driving before the engine reached 180 ?(by the way that 180 on temp gauge the water temperature or the engine temperature ? ) shudnt expect that much metal event then ?

so many metal shavings in filter, is definitely a strong sign of something bad. LN engineering kit might be the way to go, seems like IMS bearing at this time might be the best I can hope right now.

@Macster , havnt noticed any strange engine noises since I have changed the oil, I just did an oil change 3- 4 days. so I wud think you are suggesting just to take a look at the oil filter too right and not replacing the entire oil?
Coolant temp.

Don't run the engine until you have talked to Jake.

Quick Reply: metal shaving on oil filter