Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The secret behind the exhaust smoke upon startup 2.9L Caymans - An inconvenient truth

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 04:36 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by darreldore
I agree that Cayman Power's tone is uncalled for, but his points I believe are valid. I remain concerned that my boxster's engine life will be shorter than a 3.4 because of the problems he has discovered. I just wish that there was a way for all of us with these smoking 2.9's could have them corrected by Porsche without going thru all of the repeated hassel, My only help is that my car is CPO good till August 2014.
I really appreciate the help that everyone including Cayman Power has given me on this and Planet 9.
My only hope is that civility on the post will prevail.
Darrel
As mentioned earlier the key is sample size. My Boxster is over 5 years old, and I haven't experienced any exhaust smoking issues. Did I ever have any exhaust smoke in that time frame? Maybe once or at the most twice. Certainly not enough to be concerned about. Although the OP's problems were unfortunate, let's not escalate this into a universal problem.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:31 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

I have refrained from posting on this thread but it is getting the best of me. To the best of my knowledge "Cayman Power" has been asked several times if he even owns a Porsche and I have not seen a definitive answer.

Second, I have a 2010 Cayman with the 2.9 engine and it has been driven "spiritedly" to say the least, and I have had no issue or smoke in over 20,000 miles. I have a friend that also has a 2010 Cayman with close to 60,000 mile (yes that is correct) and he drives it "spiritedly" to enjoy this great vehicle and sorry but he has had no issues at all. So my sample size neutralizes his sample size, assuming he really has one.

There will always be issues with mechanical things but I don't think there is a real issue and thus I would ask the question to Cayman Power, what is your point of this ongoing crusade. Quite honestly I think the 2.9 engine in the Cayman is a winner (more power would always be nice) and I think most of the owners would agree.

Well now i have said my peace and will be quiet.

Quick Reply: The secret behind the exhaust smoke upon startup 2.9L Caymans - An inconvenient truth