Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S decision.......help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Cgland
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman S decision.......help!

Hey guys and gals! New to the forum and I need some help. I am looking at purchasing a Cayman S and I have my eye on 2 of them. The first is an 06 with 17k miles and the second is an 08 with 43k miles. Both are the same price and identical with regards to options. Is there something I should be looking for? Is it better to go with older/less miles? Is there a major diff between the 2 cars? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Cayman_Sense
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

Same generation so you won't find any 'difference' if the options are similar... on paper. I'd get maintenance records and would suggest getting a PPI done by a certified shop/dealer. A proper PPI by a dealer can reveal many differences such as overrevs, abnormal wear, etc.

FWIW I had an '08 CS which I sold and bought an '06 CS with 17K miles. No issues to report after 8-9 months of enjoyment. If they're both priced the same, why not just go with lower miles
Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Per last post, there is no difference between the 2006 and 2008. There were significant improvements with the 2009 and later model year (known as gen 2). I'd also vote for the low milage car.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:48 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't pay for a PPI until you get a DME scan read first to show the range 1-6 over-revs. They should provide this report to you for no charge. Report results here. If the report is good, then proceed with a PPI.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Cgland
Intermediate

Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking the lower mileage car myself. I just didn't know if there was any issues with the first model year. Thanks. I will post pics when I get it
Old 01-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Dave DE
Racer

One small difference is that 07 and later have the tire pressure monitoring system.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2007 Cayman with the tire monitor and it would be better without it. Changing wheels etc becomes more complicated, plus you have to remove the tires to replace the batteries every 4-5 (?) years. My 2 cents. Although there are a few minor little changes in the 2007. For example, you cannot install the factory sport exhaust on the '06, but I am not sure of other limitations.
Jim
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Get a Gen II - 2009 or later! I can't emphasize this enough if you're going to track or drive the car hard. The power steering and oiling issues were completely solved with the Gen II. If you drive the car hard, you can overheat the ps easily, and even worse you can have oiling problems. Take it from someone who has had both extensively on the track.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:08 AM
agu845
Intermediate

gen II = direct fuel injection (DFI). what about the issue of carbon build up? does it not apply to porsche engines as it does others (Audi RS4 in particular). just asking.

as for power steering overheating, here's a $150 solution: http://www.lnengineering.com/store/c...ler-p-132.html
Old 01-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Cgland
Intermediate

Ok, let me throw this out there...... Would it be better to get an 06/07 Cayman S or an 09 Cayman base?? I found an 09 base in my price range. Is the performance that much greater? I don't plan on tracking this car. Im a performance freak, but is it a huge diff especially with the engine changes in the GenII models. My big issue (dumb as it may be) is the incorporation of an iPod hookup. This is a huge decision for me, so Any help is appreciated
Old 01-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

As an owner of a 2007 base Cayman and an Spec Racer Ford, I have to agree with the old adage, "It is more fun driving a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
Especially if you have no plans to track the car and you will probably save 3-5 miles per gallon in gasoline. Jim
Old 01-12-2012, 05:57 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Originally Posted by Cgland
Ok, let me throw this out there...... Would it be better to get an 06/07 Cayman S or an 09 Cayman base?? I found an 09 base in my price range. Is the performance that much greater? I don't plan on tracking this car. Im a performance freak, but is it a huge diff especially with the engine changes in the GenII models. My big issue (dumb as it may be) is the incorporation of an iPod hookup. This is a huge decision for me, so Any help is appreciated
You could always install a Denison Gateway 500 for direct ipod hook-up in the Gen 1 cars, though admittedly, this might not be quite as satisfactory as the OEM hook-up (especially with PCM).

Have you driven both cars (Gen 1 S and Gen 2 non-S)? Strongly suggest you test drive both if you haven't. If you aren't going to track it, then I would agree that the differences in performance on the street will be relatively small.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Cgland
Intermediate

I have not driven the Gen II base yet. I am trying to find one locally to do so. I found a great deal on one and if the performance diff is non existent then I may jump on it. The only thing I'm worried about with the iPod is the clarity. I can still use the iPod to change songs, I just don't want the signal to be transmitted or something like that. How do u guys approach buying cars over the Internet? I'm finding some great deals, but they are all over 200 miles away and I just can't make a quick trip to check it out. Ugh! It's frustrating, cuz I'm ready to pull the trigger
Old 01-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Jim in St.Louis
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have purchased two Porsches I found on the Internet. Both from a dealer in Chicago, after I did a little investigating about them. Both were low milage and they were bought from a Bently dealer that deals in luxury used cars. Check out who you are buying from, check the SN for crash history and allow an out if you get there and don't like it. Both cars still had a remianing factory waranty. which made feel more secure. It was a hoot flying in to buy a car and then driving it home. Jim
Old 01-14-2012, 08:11 PM
enthuz
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Dave DE
One small difference is that 07 and later have the tire pressure monitoring system.
TPMS was an option (#482) in 06. My 06 has it and I wish it didn't as it's malfunctioning is the only thing wrong with my Cayman S. Was told to wait till tires are needed to replace the batteries. Still love the car. Too bad it will be sitting the rest of the Winter.

My car also cycled through the Bently dealership when new. Not sure why.

Last edited by enthuz; 01-14-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Cayman S decision.......help!