Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would you pay over MSRP for a particular color?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:47 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 67 Posts
Default How much would you pay over MSRP for a particular color?

If the situation presented itself, how much would you pay over MSRP for your "dream" color?

Obviously, the best situation would be to order your dream color by yourself and build to your liking, but if you had to buy the car after that time had passed....how much is or can a color be worth to you?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I would never pay more. I would consider paying MSRP if I knew other buyers were also considering it but you have to be certain that other buyers are clamoring to buy the car. Don't believe what the sales guy tells you, they will do anything to create a sense of urgency in a buyer. Buying a car is like playing poker, you can't show your hand until the dealing is over. If you absolutely love the car you need to play it cool. Tell the dealer there are several cars you're looking at that cost less. Don't even bring up the color, maybe say that the car has a particular option you like over the others (something inexpensive and easy to add on) and want to know if they can match pricing with what your seeing elsewhere.

I should note too that a good salesperson can easily detect when someone is going to buy regardless of price depending on demeanor, tone of voice etc. Don't say too much but say enough for them to realize you're a serious buyer.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 12-21-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:33 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

After considering all the variables Marine Blue pointed out, it all comes down to, what is it worth to you. If the color of your vehicle plays a significant role in your enjoyment of the car, then the color obviously has a value. GL
Old 12-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Generally, I can always find a color I like in the standard colors offered by a manufacturer. Hence, I'd never pay over MSRP to get a particular color. Its just not worth it. If you go to sell or trade in the car at some point, you willl never recover what you spend over the MSRP. I've seen plenty of car adds where the person tries to make the argument the car is rare and possibly more valuable because its "one of only 3 cars painted this color." However, many times when the people go to sell a car in a "rare color" they don't get people offering more money because of the rarity of the color, they tend to end up with the people that make low ball offers because its an "off color."

If its worth it to someone else to spend over MSRP to get their dream car in a particular color, then I can't fault the person if that helps make his dream come true. But I wouldn't do it.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:06 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with Afshin on this one. But to each their own.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:19 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

Not a dime. Color does not increase value, regardless of 'rarity'.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:22 PM
jhthornley
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree 100%. I bought a used 2007 cayman S which is lapis blue. I didnt pay extra for it, but it was $3000 extra to the original owner. Now i am wishing it was white (a standard color) because it is such a PITA tokeep clean.

Quick Reply: How much would you pay over MSRP for a particular color?