Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

climate control questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:17 PM
gleamingred944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default climate control questions

Hi all, I'm new to this forum as I'm considering upgrading to a Cayman, new to recent model. Two first questions re creature comfort in Ottawa Canada:

1. how effective is the A/C - that is, given 35C (95F) can it cool to 24C (75F) in a Toronto traffic jam in full sun? (I melt in heat, and my 944 falls flat under this condition.)

2. what is the lowest temperature the heating will control at? (My 944 stops at 18C 65F and that's way too hot when wearing standard winter gear here.)
Old 11-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I can't remember what my Cayman bottomed out at (I believe it's 60F), but the A/C was very good. Summers here in VA are very hot and humid and I never found it deficient.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:26 PM
gleamingred944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Chris - that's a good answer to start - VA sure will be hotter than Toronto! Given that "auto.climate control" is an option, is the standard heat-A/C control manual, such as sliders as on the 924? My brother has one of those, and he much prefers it in winter to the auto system on his 944 precisely because he can keep it from getting too hot.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:48 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will be no problem.

I drove my 2008 RS back to SoCal from Houston, 100+degrees the whole way, and completely forgot that it was hot outside until I needed fuel.

I've only had the 2012 Cayman in 90+ degree, but that was in LA traffic.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by gleamingred944
Hi all, I'm new to this forum as I'm considering upgrading to a Cayman, new to recent model. Two first questions re creature comfort in Ottawa Canada:

1. how effective is the A/C - that is, given 35C (95F) can it cool to 24C (75F) in a Toronto traffic jam in full sun? (I melt in heat, and my 944 falls flat under this condition.)

2. what is the lowest temperature the heating will control at? (My 944 stops at 18C 65F and that's way too hot when wearing standard winter gear here.)
My time with my 08 Cayman S with its manual A/C system was too short to say with certain but I suspect you'll be fine. These systems are quite powerful and yet efficent.

One thing I could say for certain is that if you can find a car that meets all your desires and has the auto climate control system you really ought to consider that car.

Both my 02 Boxster and my 03 Turbo have the auto climate control system and both systems are fantastic.

I can start out in the heat of Livermore CA, drive through the oftentimes higher heat of the central valley and then going up and over the mountains east of Bakersfield, CA run into colder weather, sometimes even snow over/through Tehacapi, CA, then back down the other side of the mountains a a couple of hundred miles through some more heat over to Kingman AZ and end up on Flagstaff with near freezing temps without having to do anymore than before heading out to turn on the auto climate control system and then set the A/C temp to 72F and drive the car in total comfort. Not too hot. Not too cold.

And the system's variable displacement compressor means one doesn't experience the normal engine idle variation from teh compressor being cycled on and off.

Oh, my auto climate control temp setting's lowest setting is '64'. The next push of the cooler button the display comes up 'low'.

But I seldom have to set the temp to anything but 72F.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '06 CS has a Sand interior which certainly reduces the summer heat load, but in the 5+ years I've owned it I've found the AC system (with ACC) to be excellent. It quickly lowers and maintains whatever temp I set even after sitting in the sun on 100+ F days. I usually keep it at 66-68F. It's easily capable of freezing me out You'll have no issues.

Quick Reply: climate control questions