Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering selling my 2005 Boxster (987) - fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:42 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering selling my 2005 Boxster (987) - fair price?

Considering consolidating my two cars into one (997 C4/S). Based on my research this seems like a fair selling price. However, I thought I'd throw it out there to see if you guys agree as it's always hard to find comparables thanks to Porsche's notoriously lengthy (and costly) options list.

Vitals:
* Speed Yellow / Black Interior / Black Top
* 44k miles
* New clutch at around 35k miles (RMS leak fixed too)
* New set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric Tires at around 35k miles
* No accidents / body work
* Garage kept
* Dealer serviced
* 3rd owner

Well optioned:
* 6 Speed Manual Transmission
* Sport Chrono Plus
* PASM - Porsche Active Stability Management
* Sport Exhaust - Dual Tips
* PCM - Porsche Communication Management (Navigation)
* 6 Disc CD Changer
* Multi-function Steering Wheel
* Power Seat Package w/Memory
* Heated Seats
* Automatic Climate Control
* 18" Boxster S II Wheels
* Color Wheel Caps w/Porsche Crest
* Metal Door Sills w/Model Designation
* Windscreen

I'm thinking $26,000 USD. Is this a fair price for the car?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

PS - If anyone is interested, let me know.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:58 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Jason, that's a high option Boxster. Base right...not an S? Be careful saying "sport exhaust". Just say "dual chrome tips". PSE was not available as a factory option in 2005 nor 2006. It was available through Techquipment.

The new-ish clutch is good. Tires are about 1/2 worn (rears). RMS update good. Speed Yellow is a great color, but had to sell. Interior color? Black?

What was the original MSRP? Your car has depreciated at least 50%. Top down selling season is quickly ending (region specific, I know).

I think under $25K will get more play.

Good luck.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Jason, that's a high option Boxster. Base right...not an S? Be careful saying "sport exhaust". Just say "dual chrome tips". PSE was not available as a factory option in 2005 nor 2006. It was available through Techquipment.

The new-ish clutch is good. Tires are about 1/2 worn (rears). RMS update good. Speed Yellow is a great color, but had to sell. Interior color? Black?

What was the original MSRP? Your car has depreciated at least 50%. Top down selling season is quickly ending (region specific, I know).
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it's a base, not the S-model. Good point regarding the exhaust; I don't want to mislead. The interior color is black and the top is black (updated post to reflect). Being the 3rd owner, I'm unsure of the original MSRP, best I can estimate is around 67k.

Thanks again,
Jason
Old 08-24-2011, 09:20 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Jason, here is a "comp" on the low end of pricing. I saw 55 Boxsters (2005 only) on AutoTrader. Most were "S".

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Jason, here is a "comp" on the low end of pricing. I saw 55 Boxsters (2005 only) on AutoTrader. Most were "S".
Yeah, the issue always comes down to options. That particular car has no Sport Chrono, PCM, etc. all of which were pricey options. I used my own site, http://porschefinder.net/, to look for comps (it searches cars.com, autotrader.com, ebay motors, and porsche's own dealers). Prices are all over the place, though, so, I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks again,
Jason
Old 08-25-2011, 02:19 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by jfoxny
Yeah, the issue always comes down to options. That particular car has no Sport Chrono, PCM, etc. all of which were pricey options.Thanks again,
Jason
True, but the problem is these "pricey options" are worth far less in the used car market. But it does set your car apart from the "crowd".
Old 08-25-2011, 10:24 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Less than $26K due to the mileage. A friend just bought a one owner, 17K mile 2005 base Boxster from a Porsche dealer for $26K. All serviced, original silver with black interior, a few options. Excellent condition.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Plyman438
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, but the problem is these "pricey options" are worth far less in the used car market. But it does set your car apart from the "crowd".
All used car prices are negotiable in the end, so my strategy is to ask for more than I expect to get. Always easy to come down in price if offers are lower than asking price, but very difficult to go up in price. I offered lower than asking price on Boxster I bought, and dealer accepted. I doubt if they expected to get what they originally asked for. I also not only got the lower price, but got new top and water pump with final deal. So start high and be ready to go lower if you are motivated to sell. Impossible to start low and work up.

----------------------------------------------------------
2001 Orient Red Metallic Boxster
Old 08-26-2011, 08:19 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Plyman438
All used car prices are negotiable in the end, so my strategy is to ask for more than I expect to get. Always easy to come down in price if offers are lower than asking price, but very difficult to go up in price.
All very true, what you have stated. But, if your price is not competitive, it will get lost in all the "noise". It's a fine line.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Crankshaft68
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has key options for those running SCCA Solo events in B Stock. The 6-speed with PASM and the 18" whieels.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Plyman438
All used car prices are negotiable in the end, so my strategy is to ask for more than I expect to get. Always easy to come down in price if offers are lower than asking price, but very difficult to go up in price. I offered lower than asking price on Boxster I bought, and dealer accepted. I doubt if they expected to get what they originally asked for. I also not only got the lower price, but got new top and water pump with final deal. So start high and be ready to go lower if you are motivated to sell. Impossible to start low and work up.

----------------------------------------------------------
2001 Orient Red Metallic Boxster
Just to add to the other good comments you should have some well, I hate to say it but it is true, some sales pitch to go along with the price you put on the car.

You need to prepare this pitch to in some reasonable/intelligent way justify the price.

The way you present the car varies depending upon the type of buyer to some extent, but OTOH almost all used car buyers are mainly concerned about price and condition so you have your work cut out for you.

It can be combination of things: exterior color (very popular or very unique); ditto the interior color; optioned just right or not overloaded with useless options. Well cared for. In good condition. Needs nothing. And so on.

Sure you will almost certainly have to come down but the higher your asking price is over what the car should and will sell for (which can only be known when you sell the car) means you get fewer lookers and after a while the car can get a rep and then become harder to move even if you do drop the price.

Besides you have to factor in what it takes to sell the car: Your time mainly. You have to be avaiable to show the car, go along with the shopper on a test drive, and so on.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:43 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you asked, so let me give you my take on the car. really nice S's with the 3.2l (your car as a non-S is a 2.7l) car can be had for 24,25grand. I know because we've bought i think 3 of them in the last 8 months in building our two grand am cars.

we considered a few of the sport package cars like yours. infact, they were, for grand am purposes , even more attractive than the S's, because your car/the non-S's had the 2.7 which is the grand am spec motor, which gave us a core to turn in when purchasing a crate race motor. and yours has the 6 speed. thats actually the # 1 thing it has going for it, that its a non-S with the very rare 6speed option.
yellow is also a neat color with a slick black interior.
the problem as i see it, is that the 2.7l motor is frankly far less fun and far less power than the 3.2l. and just about all the 3.2 "S" models all had 6 speed. and they all go for 24, 25, 26grand.

thus, its a rare bird who will jump on your 2.7l 6speed vs a 3.2l 6speed. the hook is a) its yellow/black, b) for the grand am guys its exactly the spec they need, and c) price.
and for price, to move it, 23,24 gets phone calls. at 26, prospective buyers will move on to the next car. we'd all love that last 1500, 2k, but price it right and see her move.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:12 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. This is very helpful!

Jason

Quick Reply: Considering selling my 2005 Boxster (987) - fair price?