Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proven performance mods and numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011 | 01:01 PM
SpyderX
6th Gear

Default Proven performance mods and numbers

Hi All,
I am looking to make some mode to get modest improvements on whp to my 11 Spyder
Can anyone with actual dyno data or race times attest to, or provide the gains seen for the following:
1. GT3 throttle body: ? hp
2. SRP + Plenum : 20hp?
3. Headers: ? hp

Do any of these mode void warranty (minus the SRP which can be reflashed)?
Are there any other mods that do not void warranty and add performance gains?

PS: I am only looking for mods that do not void warranty.

Cheers,
X
Old 07-26-2011 | 10:43 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Depending on the dealer you need warranty service from, potentially any non OEM mod can void your warranty on whatever the mod collaterally affects.

i.e. changing the induction system could void the warranty on everything down stream in the drive train, including the transmission.

When push comes to shove in a warranty fight, you only have the warranty language to back you up. That excludes just about everything except Tequipment additions. The factory will have all sorts of arguments why you modification caused a failure. The vendor you bought the part from will have long disappeared and you can use the paper that the vaunted Magnuson-Moss act is printed on to wrap you fish and chips. The burden of proof is on you (just like the IRS) while your ride is waiting to be fixed.

Porsche did a good job of extracting power and reliability from its engines. While small Dyno-candy gains are possible, real seat-of-the-pants gains cost thousands (increased displacement, forced induction) and will kill warranty coverage.

As far as power goes, the biggest bolt-on bang comes from removing or reducing the cats, in which case, see above.

BD
Old 07-26-2011 | 10:50 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

The greatest return for performance mods would be to become a better driver. True for many of us (myself included).
Old 07-26-2011 | 11:12 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
The greatest return for performance mods would be to become a better driver. True for many of us (myself included).
Very True.

The handling limits one these cars are significantly higher than I'm willing to explore on the streets. I've gone through on/off ramps at crazy speeds and I've found the biggest limitation to be traffic and my cajones.

I would love to get on an empty track and just explore the cars capabilities without worrying about other drivers.

Quick Reply: Proven performance mods and numbers