Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hankooks but concerned

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got this worked out and bought the Super Sports. I need to mount them on black OZ's and am concerned about marring from mounting the new tires. Can any of the tire chains like Mr. Tire etc. handle this correctly?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the supersports on my CS. Highly recommend!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:34 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanderer
I finally got this worked out and bought the Super Sports. I need to mount them on black OZ's and am concerned about marring from mounting the new tires. Can any of the tire chains like Mr. Tire etc. handle this correctly?
Super Sports are great tires. Look for a TireRack recommended installer in your area, can't really go wrong with their recommendations.

Good Luck!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

I called one on the TireRack list but they were hesitant and could not give a guarantee. Mr. Tire is on the list but am hesitant about calling them. Any experience with Mr. Tire? The rest on the list are local shops.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wanderer, the Super Sports should be great.

Take high res. time stamped pictures of your wheels prior to going to the tire shop and review your car with the service advisor prior to starting. Then you will both know there is no prior damaged/marked/niched wheel.

I suggest going to the dealership. Pay the inflated price. Get the right wheel weights and balancing. If something happens, they have the deepest pockets to make it right again.

They'll charge you about $250-300 for the 4 tires.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

TireRack is looking around as well for me. I also found I have access to a machine where I can do it myself.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:32 AM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

Super Sports are on the car and it feels just like its old happy self again :-) No more dead zone, no drifting, heavier steering feel again (I like). Can't wait to put some back road miles on these.

On a side note, the SS's extend past the rim whereas the V12's did not thereby adding some protection to the rim from curbs.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Norra Norra
Banned

Sounds like you still have a bit of the releasing compound to burn through, I agree with the above comment, grip should improve after about 500mi or so. These tires won second place in a shootout in Car & Driver, and beat the PS2s in many categories including both dry and wet lap times. Not sure what some mean by lesser tires, less expensive maybe. One thing they did notice is they have a softer sidewall compared to others which could account for some of your comments. Confidence will grow as you get used to them. Should be a nicer ride too, the gen1's are pretty stiff in the stock setup.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Norra Norra
Banned

Wow just realized you actually went out and bought new tires. Lol that was a pricey solution. Ignore my comments on the Hankooks and avoid past issues of Car & Driver.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

Actually, Hankook has a 100% credit customer assurance policy within the first 2/32 of wear ;-) I did have to mention this problem a few times before I was told, but a great policy still.

Forgot to mention know of a few others with different make cars that have had this problem as well.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Norra Norra
Banned

Wow that is a good policy. I wonder if that is common in the industry, I've seen many read threads like this across nearly every manufacturer and it would solve a lot of problems.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:03 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanderer.. where in MD are you? If near DC, in the future, head to Radial Tire in Silver Spring. Paul is the fellow inside to ask for. Their website has the address and well, not much else. He's a huge supporter of PCA, SCCA, BMW club etc for decades now. His shop looks "rough", but no matter the rim/tire, his guys won't scratch a thing.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Wanderer
Rennlist Member

I am in northern MD so am about 2 hours from Silver Spring bu I will keep it in mind as others have mentioned Radial Tire to me as well. I was in a pinch to get these on so to keep the trend wear within warranty on the Hankooks.

Loving these Super Sports. They just keep saying to me "HA! That all you got??"
Old 08-05-2011, 02:56 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to see a realtively unkown tire do so well - I'll pass it on
Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Partsguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wanderer
Thanks for the tip on the pressure settings. I will let some air out. Cold right now they are 33 front, 34 rear.
Cold is how you want to check the pressure, but at 33-34 I think that's a bit on the low side, check the sticker in the door jam for the recommended pressures.

Quick Reply: New Hankooks but concerned