Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MK1 vs. MK2 Cayman S.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM
KK22
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK1 vs. MK2 Cayman S.

Folks,

I know this is probably beaten to death and I have searched the archives, but I am looking to get an '07-'10 Cayman S and wanted to get some specific questions answered. I test drove my first CS last week, an '08 with manual tranny in Speed Yellow and was quite impressed. My base of reference is my previous '03 S2000 but I currently drive an A4 2.0T manual. So here goes:

1) Are the DI issues on the MK2 resolved under warranty?
2) Is there an iPod retrofit for the MK1 available?
3) Any other comments from those who have driven/owned both are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:41 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,041 Likes on 381 Posts

1. What are the DI issues you refer to?
2. I believe the Dension Gateway works with the .1 cars. I had one on my 2005 997 and it worked really well.
3. I originally was looking at pre 2009 cars as I did not want to buy new. I knew I would track the car and after I'd read up on the oiling and power steering issues in the .1 cars, I decided to test drive a .2 car. I really liked the way it felt and given the cost of mods I would have needed to become track worthy, I decided to go with a 2009. I have not regretted the decision. Add to that the .2 cars have held pretty solid resale.

If you track, I'd seriously consider a .2 car. If not, a .1 is an excellent car and a better value.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 PM
KK22
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, thanks Chris!

I had read about direct injection (DI) causing carbon build up in the .2s. Maybe I am mistaken. This is a problem all too familiar on the Audi 2.0TFSI and the RS4 4.2 V8.

Thanks for the points on the .2. The increase in power and DSG option definitely warrants a test drive. Also, these cars are holding a steady $10K difference between the 08' and 09' which reflect resale as you mentioned. Rare as they are, I will keep an eye out for a clean 09' or 10' to take for a spin.

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,041 Likes on 381 Posts

The DFI cars haven't been out long enough for anyone to know if that's going to be an issue with the DFI CS. I also have 2 other DFI cars (including an A3 2.0T) so I'm familiar with carbon buildup. It cost a whopping $200 to have the intake cleaned in the A3 so I'm not really worried about it.

I would also recommend Planet-9 as a resource as the Cayman forum here is pretty lightly traveled.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:35 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 607 Likes on 271 Posts

I have driven both, obviously the 2nd generation cars much more than the 1st gen cars and in my humble opinion, I mean no offense to the 1st gen 987.1 guys, but the DFI cars feel so much faster, it's almost not even fair. The throttle response from the newer car makes it feel like so much more torquey; the earlier cars certainly pull and make plenty of horsepower but but not until 6K. You really feel the lower end grunt from the DFI cars. I figured it was the power difference but then wonder if it's really just the net effects of DFI vs. Non-DFI and the fact that the AFR on a DFI car from the factory is running the magic HP number ratio of 13.0 at all times probably helps!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:31 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. There are no real DFI issues yet that I'm aware of. I have heard of a few high pressure fuel pumps go out but nothing like the numbers the Cayenne had. Use quality fuel, avoid short trips and drive it like its meant to be driven and I think you'll avoid carbon issues.
2. I pod retrofits are available for PCM2.1 cars but you're way better off with the factory kit in the 09 and later.
3. The gen 2 is a better car in a few big ways so if you can swing it get it without question. I'm a huge fan of the DFI engines.

Quick Reply: MK1 vs. MK2 Cayman S.