Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inteseries cayman race car

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:27 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inteseries cayman race car

One of my students this weekend at WGI had a new interseries cayman race car. He was a good driver but had never been to WGI before. These cars are very impressive. Some GT3 parts added here and there as in front calipers/brakes, suspension goodies and I suspect a little remapping of the ECU.

The car stuck like glue and allowed tight lines through T-5, 6 and 7. It rotated extremely well. Had snappy throttle response simliar to GT-3 and lots of torque. Very fun car and looked great as well. He was all smiles at the end of the day at 2:11's and his smile got bigger when I told him there were 2 more things I didn't tell him yet so not to be overwhelming for his first time here. At $120,000 roulghly when all is said and done and less maintenance than cup cars, this may be the future.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:00 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree with you

easier to drive at the limit, less to purchase and maintain than a Cup by far.

I'm actually surprised that Porsche didn't do it themselves but a group of dealers did...
Old 05-16-2011, 08:11 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by renvagn
The car stuck like glue and allowed tight lines through T-5, 6 and 7.
Thank you. We'll take some of the credit for that.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:18 PM
racer
Drifting

Don't get me too wrong.. I really like the looks of the Interseries cayman cars and have seen 1 or 2 move like stink at the local track (Summit Point).

But can't you find USED 996 cups in the $60K range? So even with a fresh $30-40K rebuild you still have money to spare. Plus the added cache of being genuine factory race cars? If you tire of motor rebuilds, I suppose a "street" GT3 motor could be installed too.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:10 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by racer
Don't get me too wrong.. I really like the looks of the Interseries cayman cars and have seen 1 or 2 move like stink at the local track (Summit Point).

But can't you find USED 996 cups in the $60K range? So even with a fresh $30-40K rebuild you still have money to spare. Plus the added cache of being genuine factory race cars? If you tire of motor rebuilds, I suppose a "street" GT3 motor could be installed too.
You're so right. In fact, if it's racin' you want, the Historic series offers even more challenges than a 996 Cup for even less dough, and it's still all you can eat for most of us...

I really feel one of the coolest things about Porsche is that there is class racing for just about all their cars except for the slushbox creampuffs. Each has it's own set of parameters to toy with. No other marque comes close...
Old 05-21-2011, 06:17 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's one for sale if anyone's interested: http://www.planet-9.com/classifieds/...ce-spec&cat=24

I'm not the owner, just sharing the link.

Quick Reply: Inteseries cayman race car