Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:14 PM
jamsit
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Battery

Just replaced battery (OEM Moll)... dead after two months car storage, with Duralast Gold 94R... Idle very rough.. should I take to shop, or run car for awhile? Tx
Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 PM
MVDESQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will die again if you don't use it or run the porsche charger on it. Mine just replaced too. Dealer says alternators are too small to really charge battery well. Not sure why running rough, maybe the fuel is old.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jamsit
Just replaced battery (OEM Moll)... dead after two months car storage, with Duralast Gold 94R... Idle very rough.. should I take to shop, or run car for awhile? Tx
What year? Is this battery a dead drop in replacement? Vent tube? Thanks.

I suspect the rough idle is the car relearning it's settings. Don't be surprised if you get a PSM warning the first few blocks. It will clear and go away.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jamsit
Ditto on that relearning the settings comment.

The fact the car sat two months could help explain the rough running due to some gasoline deterioration. You can try adding some fresh gas to the tank and maybe before you add gas consider using a gas additive like Stabil to help bolster the old gas that remains in the tank.

The above though assumes a rather mild case of rough idle. If the idle remains quite rough and the engine rpms vary up and down and there are any other symptoms the underlying cause may be something more serious and you should avoid running the engine and have the car checked out by a professional.

Relearning shouldn't take very long and as the engine idles and warms up the idle should smooth right out and the idle speed drop to near normal.

One other thing that always concerns me is when I read of a car coming out of a period of inactivity and exhibiting symptoms such as you describe, is that the car may have been visited by rodents while it was inactive.

The presence of rodents is not always obvious from a causal inspection. If the car continues to exhibit symptoms even though they don't get any worse you may want to take it to a professional.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just pulled my Boxster S (2006) out of a 6 month hibernation last Friday. All the proper storage procedures followed to the tee, as I have done the past 5 years. Pulled the cover off, adjusted the tire pressures, and turned the key. She purred like a kitten!
Old 05-11-2011, 02:34 PM
jamsit
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tx for the quick responses..... I have a pristene '07 Boxter S w/7200 mi on it.... y'all were right... after a bit, the idle started to smooth out.... also have various indications that re-learning is in process... windows readjusting to 1/2" opening on door open; PSM failure alert; et al... the Duralast replacement is simple, dead-on with vent openings on both +/- sides....did have to remove the old battery (-) side vent plug & install in new battery (-) side... the whole replacement took less than 15 mins.... tx again

Quick Reply: Replaced Battery