Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Cayman 2.7L Performance Gains

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:02 PM
msnyder757
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Cayman 2.7L Performance Gains

I have a 2008 Porsche Cayman with the 2.7 L engine and only 14,000 miles on it. I love the car but I want to get more power out of it. I’m considering starting with having the ECU tuned. The tuning company (upsolute) claims that I will see a 20 hp increase without modifying the intake or exhaust. Step two would be to modify the intake and exhaust.

Is this the best way to go about adding 30 to 50 hp to these cars or is there a better way?
Old 05-01-2011, 04:13 PM
MVDESQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd compare the cost of doing what you want to just trading yours in for a 2007 or 2008 Cayman S. You'll never get the money out of modified car and make it more difficult to sell.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:57 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

If you can be satisfied with modest gains in the neighborhood of 20hp you'll do ok with an ecu flash, exhaust and intake. The flash is going to be $800 to $1000and an exhaust can be found in the classifieds. You can also look at a plenum too which will add another $1000. Anyway you might want to just set a spending cap and be done with it. Otherwise you might be better switching to an S. I have a 2.7 and will probably flash the ecu this summer. I'm not looking so much for HP as driveability. Over on Planet-9 there are a few modded 2.7s. I have to say I am fairly satisfied with the 2.7 on back roads and around town. On the highway I am accustomed to staying out of the way of the 300+HP commuters barreling along in the left lane.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

You should try the Race Plenum and ecu flash by softronic... i've seen some
great gains.. i will be doing the same with my 2.7 Boxster..
around 240whp on a 2.7...
here's the old article from planet-9
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...-plenum-2.html
Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

another note..

might be a good idea to go with tuners that have been doing this awhile and wont give you an issue
when you need support..

I know there are others but Scott at softronic, Alex at Sharkwerks/evomsit dealer would be my best recommendation.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

An old hot rodder phrase was there's "No Substitute For Cubic Inches". I had and tracked a 2.7 for two years, traded for a 3.4 S. With the mods you have suggested, no way 50 HP. Maybe 20 and most of it will be at the top of the rev range, useless for the street.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Plyman438
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbx2
If you can be satisfied with modest gains in the neighborhood of 20hp you'll do ok with an ecu flash, exhaust and intake. The flash is going to be $800 to $1000and an exhaust can be found in the classifieds. You can also look at a plenum too which will add another $1000. Anyway you might want to just set a spending cap and be done with it. Otherwise you might be better switching to an S. I have a 2.7 and will probably flash the ecu this summer. I'm not looking so much for HP as driveability. Over on Planet-9 there are a few modded 2.7s. I have to say I am fairly satisfied with the 2.7 on back roads and around town. On the highway I am accustomed to staying out of the way of the 300+HP commuters barreling along in the left lane.
Really? I own a 2.7L Boxster with 5 speed manual and with its curb weight of 2,770lbs. I find the power to weight ratio very good. I have no trouble on freeway in far left lane. However, I do try to avoid freeways most times of day with big trucks on it so that I don't stone chip up the front end. While the vehicle gearing is not long legged, there aren't a lot of vehicles out there faster than it including top speed. Now if I tracked it, maybe I would want more power, but on public roads it's a fast car at any speed.

I just did three parade laps of MIS this past weekend with Zone 4 PCA and about 25 other Porsches that included Spyders, GT3's, and Boxster S's. I averaged about 95mph on my three laps and barely pushed the 2.7L. Sure, I was the slowest Porsche out there, but the standard Boxster is an extremely quick sports car for public road use and not bad on track either. I never feel underpowered when driving it. Not every car out there is a big block Corvette or Viper.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
An old hot rodder phrase was there's "No Substitute For Cubic Inches". I had and tracked a 2.7 for two years, traded for a 3.4 S. With the mods you have suggested, no way 50 HP. Maybe 20 and most of it will be at the top of the rev range, useless for the street.
truth (though a smart flash will spread the midrange for the street, still 50 HP my ****)

refreshing

get the "S" if you want more power. None of these guys have a fraction of the engineering and calibrated testing that Porsche does, not even close. and as otherwise pointed out. you will significantly reduce your trade-in value. if you want to feel faster, get a good exhaust and maybe intake.

spent lots of money on mods for track and street. you need a 20% HP delta to get anything fun out of it on the street. on the track much smaller changes in power or weight are needed since lap times tell you everything that matters and is very revealing.

Quick Reply: 2008 Cayman 2.7L Performance Gains