Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 S oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Plyman438
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dino944
$189 that sounds like a real bargain to me! Count your blessings. Even a friend of mine that had his Cayman S serviced at a Porsche dealer in NJ got charged around $350. The car is on warranty for 4 more years so I'm sticking with the dealers for now.

Best regards,
Dino
There are three new car Porsche dealers in Metro Detroit with a new, fourth dealer being added this summer. The original three offer 20% off on parts and labor to PCA members with Porsche's over 10 years old. The SE MI PCA is one of the biggest and strongest in country with almost 700 primary members. DE events are at Waterford Raceway and club race is at Gingerman Raceway. Also big event at MIS this May with parade lap around 2 mile banked oval that Roger Penske owns. I wish MIS would run the LeMans Series and other sports car races like it used to years ago and not just be a two race/year NASCAR track. NASCAR must have a stranglehold on these big tracks like MIS.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:09 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with my local Porsche dealership today, which was formerly Holbert's. The service desk told me that a 05 987's will take slightly less than 9 quarts. So if your paying for 10, I hope you were getting one for the road.

As far as the car being level when checked, it was. In rehashing the events I completely screwed up by not remembering a prior student being advised by his mechanic, "that if the cold reading is within the bars don't fill it until it is hot and then recheck. Thanks for all the advise.

Also when the oil is dumped from the engine is that the sensor location that triggers the maintenance required message on the computer?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:35 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dino944
You guys are right, the manual says for a 3.4 2008 Boxster S = 7.75 Liters, which is about 8 quarts.

Macster, thanks for the advice about confronting the dealers. I'd probably be more concerned about being charged for oil that I didn't get, except for the fact that the service I had last week was discounted by $85, since I had it done before May 1st (they were running a promotion). However, I will definitely keep an eye on the amount of oil I am charged for in the future, and tell them I'm not paying for oil I didn't get on any full price services.

As for the 1st dealer who serviced the car last year, yea I was ripped off. Especially considering they charged roughly $393 including tax and harzdous disposal fees (and they were charging $10.30 per quart, last weeks dealer charged $8.25 per quart prior to the discount). I simply won't return for service at this dealer.

I wonder if other people are finding Porsche dealers are charging them for 10 quarts of oil on cars that can't accept 10 quarts? So far that has been my experience at 2 dealers in different states.

Thanks for pointing out these cars don't use 10 quarts of oil. I don't change my own oil, so I didn't give that much thought to checking the manual to see how much it could accept.
Thanks again and best regards,
Dino
Dino,
I'd be more worried about how many quarts of oil they put in. 10 qts is way too much. Oil overfill leads to RMS leak and AOS failures.

Focus on this issue first and make it known that overfilling the oil causes other major issues. Once they admit not filling with 10 qts then you can ask for a refund too. Secondly if RMS or AOS failure appear you can also blame them for overfilling.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cas951
Dino,
I'd be more worried about how many quarts of oil they put in. 10 qts is way too much. Oil overfill leads to RMS leak and AOS failures.

Focus on this issue first and make it known that overfilling the oil causes other major issues. Once they admit not filling with 10 qts then you can ask for a refund too. Secondly if RMS or AOS failure appear you can also blame them for overfilling.
Hi Cas,

I'll try to call the dealership today or Monday to check on how much oil they put in the car. I'm willing to bet that the 2 dealers I've had to car to aren't putting in 10 quarts, but that they each trying to make an extra $15-20 (plus they keep the oil). But as you mentioned, if I did have an IMS, AOS, or RMS issue, there is now a "paper trail" that shows they screwed up. Although, I'm sure they'd gladly bill it to Porsche since the car is under warranty through January 2, 2015.

Thanks again for the info guys.
Best regards,
Dino
Old 05-02-2011, 11:42 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrygug
I have an 05 Boxster S. Takes 8 quarts to put mine dead on the full mark.
Your dealer may be creating a little extra profit by charging for 10.
My 2006 Boxster took 8 quarts and reached full mark.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:31 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

had an opportunity to dump the oil and collect it this weekend. I pulled just slightly more than 2 gallons out of it. My 05 manual states 1.98 gallons of oil capacity. I refilled with 7 qrts, not dumping the filter and it registered filled cold and again when it was hot (driven 30 minutes). Does anyone know the capacity of the filter housing? The next day drove the car for an hour checking it after 20 minutes it was fine at that point. I checked it again after arriving at the destination and it was at the lowest parameter of the oil range (arrowhead). Added 1/4 qrt and checked after 15 minutes upon departing and it was at the upper arrowhead. Re-checked again after 70 minutes of driving an it was at the top parameter. I remember last year it took a little adding to get it stabilized then it never changed in 3,000 miles, but I am thinking I had a qrt too much upon the recent oil change. I am also strongly considering purchase of a durametrix ? computer to evaluate codes and clear the service required message on the computer. Also it is an O-**** indicator most likely, but I replace the drain plug with a magnetic one from L&N. My 951S came with one and I was a little surprised the newer car didn't have one.

As a side note when we were getting the strings set up on the car for a recent alignment it was brought to my attention that I was missing 2 screws holding the spliter in place. This seems to have stopped the morse code rattle I was hearing from where I thought was the front vent, if this helps anyone else with a similar problem. The other issue can be a 2 piece duct behing the glove box which becomes seperated and needs to be pu back together with a little duct tape to hold.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:01 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by renvagn
had an opportunity to dump the oil and collect it this weekend. I pulled just slightly more than 2 gallons out of it. My 05 manual states 1.98 gallons of oil capacity. I refilled with 7 qrts, not dumping the filter and it registered filled cold and again when it was hot (driven 30 minutes). Does anyone know the capacity of the filter housing? The next day drove the car for an hour checking it after 20 minutes it was fine at that point. I checked it again after arriving at the destination and it was at the lowest parameter of the oil range (arrowhead). Added 1/4 qrt and checked after 15 minutes upon departing and it was at the upper arrowhead. Re-checked again after 70 minutes of driving an it was at the top parameter. I remember last year it took a little adding to get it stabilized then it never changed in 3,000 miles, but I am thinking I had a qrt too much upon the recent oil change. I am also strongly considering purchase of a durametrix ? computer to evaluate codes and clear the service required message on the computer. Also it is an O-**** indicator most likely, but I replace the drain plug with a magnetic one from L&N. My 951S came with one and I was a little surprised the newer car didn't have one.

As a side note when we were getting the strings set up on the car for a recent alignment it was brought to my attention that I was missing 2 screws holding the spliter in place. This seems to have stopped the morse code rattle I was hearing from where I thought was the front vent, if this helps anyone else with a similar problem. The other issue can be a 2 piece duct behing the glove box which becomes seperated and needs to be pu back together with a little duct tape to hold.
The plastic oil filter housing by itself pre-fills with just less than 1/2 qt of oil. For me, as long as the oil is between full (one empty box) and completely full (all boxes filled), I'm OK with the oil level. If I have less than that, only then would I add 1/4 qt of oil. I think the manual describes how much oil you need to top each bar.

As for the magnetic drain plug, I think Tom & Ray from Car Talk answer that question. It's more a personal preference than anything else.

Quick Reply: 987 S oil change