Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To sell or not to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default To sell or not to sell?

I've got a 2011 Boxster and never get to use it. I live in the mountains of CO and it is winter from Oct-April. Other problem I have is that I have 2 small childeren. Doesn't allow me to use a 2 seater roadster very often. I also have a 944 which I use a lot more since I can haul the kids around in it. Also don't mind using it in the winter when there is a lot of mag cloride on the roads as it is not a brand new car. Was thinking I should sell or trade the Boxster for a 4 door, 4 wheel drive, high performance sports sedan. Thinking this would allow me to still have fun in the winter but offer the practicality of 4 doors and rear seats that are adequate. Can't put money into anything. Would be nice to come out with some $'s in hand. Was thinking WRX EVO8 or S60 or something similar. What do you guys and gals think?
Old 03-29-2011, 02:26 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're already a year down since the 2012's are now going into production. You may be wading into territory that's $10-12K less than you paid for it

You may be best served by trading on a 'conquest' type of trade for a BMW or MB.

No offense to dealers , but not many Suby ,Mitso, or Volvo dealers will know what to do with your Boxster.

BD
Old 03-29-2011, 02:59 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

BD is right. I am in the car business, and I can tell you that the first year depreciation is very steep. I think you should expect a close to 20% drop in value.

Let's say someone who is interested in a leftover 2011 with a price of $50k at a dealer, that person is going to get a price of very close to the cost(invoice), say 10% discount or $45k. So for someone to buy a used 2011 like yours, they will probably offer you a price that is at least 20% lower than the original price, so in this example ,$40k. And, I am not sure about CO, but remember the sales tax you paid to the state of CO? You are probably not getting a refund.

Your best bet is to stay with the car. But hey, is a Porsche, you might be able to find someone who will pay top dollar for your car, I've seen suckers who overpaid for a Porsche.

Plus, looking at your sig, you seem to have 2 other winter capable cars, what do you need another one for? In my household, if I can do it, I will have all summer/performance cars and just 1 winter car.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:43 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

FWIW, as someone who also lives part time in CO, I would seriously consider swapping the Boxster for something else. I had my 06 Boxster S in Fort Collins, CO for a couple of years and didn't get to drive it much either as soon as the first major snowstorm dumped some snow, so ended up shipping the car back to CA.

Given that you have a couple of kids, something a bit more family friendly and that is a bit more practical than a 944 might be a good idea.

You will take a depreciation hit on the Boxster, no way around that. If you don't forsee being able to drive it more in the future you might be better off selling it now rather than later. The good news is that Spring is already in effect at some parts of CO so you will have a good head start in finding a local CO buyer.

The Evo and WRX are decent cars but a bit rough around the edges, (used to have a WRX wagon a while back and have a Outback 2.5XT as my DD in CO) if I were in the market for a fun AWD car right now in CO I would consider looking at a R20 from VW.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 AM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in upstate New York and have been having similar thoughts as I don't get to drive the Boxster as much as I'd like. Personally, I've been thinking about swapping my Boxster for a 911 Targa 4 as it seems like the a mix of all the good stuff: convertible, hardtop and AWD. However, the Boxster is just so much fun I'm hesitant to do it. Plus I already have a 2008 VW R32 daily driver, which by the way is a great, fun, all weather option. The R32 or the upcoming (Dec 2011) Golf R be worth a look if you do decide to trade-in.

Jason
Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Dryslick13
I've got a 2011 Boxster and never get to use it. I live in the mountains of CO and it is winter from Oct-April. Other problem I have is that I have 2 small childeren. Doesn't allow me to use a 2 seater roadster very often. I also have a 944 which I use a lot more since I can haul the kids around in it. Also don't mind using it in the winter when there is a lot of mag cloride on the roads as it is not a brand new car. Was thinking I should sell or trade the Boxster for a 4 door, 4 wheel drive, high performance sports sedan. Thinking this would allow me to still have fun in the winter but offer the practicality of 4 doors and rear seats that are adequate. Can't put money into anything. Would be nice to come out with some $'s in hand. Was thinking WRX EVO8 or S60 or something similar. What do you guys and gals think?
You might consider finding a fairly recent example of a BMW 3 series with AWD (xi) in a 4-door (or even wagon/estate) body style.

Also, in the area in which you live I'd try to find one with a (factory) turbo-charged engine. Not sure if the 330xi comes with a turbo-charged 6 though IIRC the 335i SE is fitted with twin turbos. Not sure if this comes in the awd version though or if it even has a 4-door body.

However, I think I'd prefer the turbo in a 2 door with rwd vs. a non-turbo in a 4-door even with awd. The car fitted with proper winter tires would get around as well as a awd car and the turbo-charged engine means the car's performance would not be as affected by the altitude.

While the car's a 2-door the rear seats are large and big enough for kids.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:31 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

2006 325xi, 330xi. Sedan and wagon only.
2007 to 2010 328xi, 335xi. Sedan, wagon and coupe. 335xi is a twin turbo.
2011 328xi, 335xi. Sedan, wagon and coupe. 335xi is a single twin scroll turbo.

If it does say X or Xdrive, then it is RWD.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least give your ownership effort through the summer to see if you enjoy it more in the warmer weather.

Aren't STI's popular out there? Turbo, 300+ hp etc.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:23 PM
MVDESQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say trade it for a nice used 911 C4 or C4S convertible, then you'll have a small back seat for the kids and all wheel drive should you need it. The longer you wait the more the 2011 will go down. 2012's are very near and I hear the body style is changing soon which will hurt more.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Or you could consider a Golf R which is coming to US in the Fall. 260hp AWD 4-doors with enough creature comforts and much better built than the Evoprezza's. Or think about an Audi S4 which has much better handling option that the 3 Series with awd.

Last edited by Le Chef; 03-31-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:51 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Originally Posted by jfoxny
Plus I already have a 2008 VW R32 daily driver, which by the way is a great, fun, all weather option.
Jason
Jason, not to hijack the thread, but did you have all the recalls done on your R32?

I gave up.

BD
Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDuce
Jason, not to hijack the thread, but did you have all the recalls done on your R32?
As a matter of fact, I'm having one done right now! The Mechatronics unit is being replaced, which, from everything I've read is a good thing. Most everyone reports better DSG function post-replacement. The only other recall was for the fuel tank a while back.

Overall, I really like the R32 as it's quite versatile (AWD, hatchback, roomy rear seats) yet still fun to drive. Some people hate the DSG tranny, but, it has grown on me so much that I'd consider giving Porsche's PDK a shot in my next car. Split second shifts are addicting (when the computer gets it right). :-D

Jason
Old 03-31-2011, 02:45 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

The only other recall was for the fuel tank a while back.
Jason
Third brake light, headlights, Haldex service advisory too.

Took the bozos 3 tries with my fuel tank and lost gallons of gas every time.

Did love that DSG. Hope the PDK is as good.

BD
Old 03-31-2011, 03:56 PM
awai08
Advanced

I feel the same. I have a DSG 2010 GTI, which is my daily driver. My 987s is a 6 speed, but the DSG is so good that I may go paddle-shift with any future Porsche.

Overall, I really like the R32 as it's quite versatile (AWD, hatchback, roomy rear seats) yet still fun to drive. Some people hate the DSG tranny, but, it has grown on me so much that I'd consider giving Porsche's PDK a shot in my next car. Split second shifts are addicting (when the computer gets it right). :-D

Jason
Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 PM
racer
Drifting

You could be one of those people that simply uses the car year round, pending large snow accumulations. These car are cold/snow/rain/bad weather tested afterall. The body carries a 12 yr warranty against corrosion! If worried about underside corrosion, maybe there is a local "self wash" to spray down the car from time to time.

I do concur that if the kids (rear seat) are the needed issue, than I'd look for a 911 first, then a "rally" car like the Evo or Sti, then maybe a GTI or CooperS as a fun hatch.

Quick Reply: To sell or not to sell?