Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever disable their rear spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 06:25 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 510 Likes on 326 Posts

https://jalopnik.com/no-car-tells-th...e-t-1830419153

The TT Coupe made its debut to great acclaim, with particular praise for its sleek, Bauhaus-inspired design and its $31,000 base price. The car’s luster dimmed in Europe, though, after an unusual number of high-speed crashes. Last fall, Audi announced a voluntary recall to fit the cars with a rear air spoiler, to help hold down the back of the car at speed, and new suspension components to improve handling.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:24 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Your spoiler is there for a specific purpose. Why mess with it? The drag is minimal. You are creating necessary downforce.
+1 File this under "Leave Well Enough Alone."
The following users liked this post:
jg (atl) (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 10:06 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
I would not disable the spoiler. I remember when Audi TTs were spinning off the road.

Just my $.02
Disabling the spoiler is nonsensical. To even be concerned is way overthinking it. Just let it be. As for the TT...

Learned this in Germany while I lived there ... Audi TTs were spinning off the autobahns because a few journalists were lifting at high speed upon corner entry causing the tail to lift and lose the rear end. Because of this, the US got a dumbed-down version of the TT to include heavy weights attached to the inside rear bumper, and worse, steering links with enlarged rubber bushings to slow down steering input. Plus the spoiler of course. The German market TT (with spoiler) actually drives very well at high speed. Very planted. Much better than many BMWs I've driven at the speed limiter. Like most any car, you can't just chop the throttle while entering a bend at very high speeds and expect good results.

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 10-07-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:16 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 901 Likes on 402 Posts

What a weird thread..... What drag would you even worry about on the freeway? Is it to help save $.002 a mile in gas savings ?
Old 10-07-2019, 11:39 PM
Four Ring Circus
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

This thread is pretty funny given how many Porsches, Tesla Model X, etc that I see running around here at 20-25 mph with their high speed downforce enabling spoilers manually set to up mode. You really need that extra downforce at 25mph!
Old 10-08-2019, 02:44 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 901 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Four Ring Circus
This thread is pretty funny given how many Porsches, Tesla Model X, etc that I see running around here at 20-25 mph with their high speed downforce enabling spoilers manually set to up mode. You really need that extra downforce at 25mph!
I doubt anybody is worried about downforce at street speeds......it just looks better.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:39 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
I doubt anybody is worried about downforce at street speeds......it just looks better.
Actually it's poser-ish in Porsche-dom.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:56 PM
Thacker
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I had a VW Corrado that had an electric spoiler on the back. It went up at 45 mph, down at 12 mph. I thought it looked cool. Is it possible to reprogram the 981 spoiler to do the same thing at the same speeds?
Old 10-09-2019, 09:19 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 481 Likes on 350 Posts

I have orange tape on my spoiler button to remind me when I'm at the track to manually deploy. I forgot one day and one of my fellow drivers said he thought my trunk was open until he realized my spoiler was going up and down. The deployed spoiler primary purpose is to reduce lift by reducing the velocity of the air over the rear of the car. Both lift and drag are a function of the velocity squared so they rise steeply at speed. Obviously the deployment speed was determined based on decreasing the lift and keeping/increasing weight on the rear wheels. The frontal area and shape of the car has much more to do with the total drag although streamlining the back of the car helps. Once and awhile you will see semi truck trailers with weird cones on the back to reduce drag. Throttle input and tire pressures have a much greater effect on mileage than the spoiler. A far as a give me a ticket flag I'm guessing the Porsche brand is the flag. I'd like to hear a policeman testify he gave me a ticket because my spoiler was up.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:54 AM
dr_r2r
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Be proud......
Old 10-10-2019, 02:11 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

^^ That's the perfect car for tailgating. Built-in drink shelf.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:56 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Disabling the spoiler is nonsensical. To even be concerned is way overthinking it. Just let it be. As for the TT...

Learned this in Germany while I lived there ... Audi TTs were spinning off the autobahns because a few journalists were lifting at high speed upon corner entry causing the tail to lift and lose the rear end. Because of this, the US got a dumbed-down version of the TT to include heavy weights attached to the inside rear bumper, and worse, steering links with enlarged rubber bushings to slow down steering input. Plus the spoiler of course. The German market TT (with spoiler) actually drives very well at high speed. Very planted. Much better than many BMWs I've driven at the speed limiter. Like most any car, you can't just chop the throttle while entering a bend at very high speeds and expect good results.
That doesn't jibe with my information. The original TT design, penned on a cocktail napkin, had very poor aero, it basically being a squashed VW Beetle profile. I understand that a highly placed Audi exec crashed due to insufficient downforce at the rear. Left the road whilst on a mountain so bumpity bumpity bump splat. That then caused the last minute, slapped on, looks terrible, caused me to cancel my order and get my deposit back, winglet.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever disable their rear spoiler?