Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 radiator coolant hose failure, motor popped

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:04 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 987 radiator coolant hose failure, motor popped

Was at homestead racing yesterday. in a good position, and all of a sudden the radiator coolant hose directly under the middle of the car, popped apart, dumped the coolant in seconds ,and it was on the banking at full throttle and bye bye mr. motor.
we were in a good position, P14 or so, sitting at the back casuallly following th ebreak group. it was definately disappointing.

afterwards, we looked at that piece a bit and i was amazed at how, well, weak that system looks. its like a pronged spring clip , one hose snapping into another. you lose that spring, you lose a motor.

have others ever suffered that? is that truley a point of failure/weakness? has anyone done anything to beef that up and prevent that kind of failure??

just curious.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Major bummer on the motor.

Can you post any pics of the hose and spring clip?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a clip on a coolant line go in the engine bay on a 997. It went in a spectacular fashion with a loud bang and lots of steam. Pulled straight off and engine switched off. No damage. I was told with two radiators there was lots of coolant still in the system protecting the engine. But the jubilee clip seems like a (cheap) weak link.

Quick Reply: 987 radiator coolant hose failure, motor popped