Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Booster Spring

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:50 PM
ttcurves
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Booster Spring

Trying to find out if removing the clutch pedal booster spring on a Cayman works as well as on other models. Have found a lot of info in the forums and online about it working well on the 996. Have not found any 987 owners who have done it.

Help?

Has anyone removed this little thing and if so, HOW???? The instructions for removing it are simple however you would have to be a midget to lay on your back and get your arms up there.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:49 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is this device removed?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 PM
ttcurves
AutoX

From what I have read and heard, the booster spring helps make the clutch pedal a little softer and "assists" the travel pedal travel. In theory I guess this has benefits but it seems to make the pedal in some cars a little vague. I would rather have an overly stiff pedal and be able to feel the clutch engage then have to guess where the friction point is.

By removing the spring the pedal has a better, more precise feel to it as it isn't artificially assisted in travel up or down. Haven't heard any 987 people talk about it - only 996/7 so I'm wondering how much of a difference it will make for me. Looked at mine and can't reach it without taking the lower dash panel off so I have a Saturday project.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Take some pictures of the process if you can and please also post back your findings regarding pedal feel. I agree that many modern cars have a very vague clutch pedal feel as compared to older cars where you could easily find the clutch engagement point.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 PM
ttcurves
AutoX

Talked to Hendrick Porsche today - they are going to look at the car on Tuesday as they suspect it could be a bad clutch or pressure plate/slave cylinder issue. Car is brand new so I can't imagine the clutch is bad. Service Advisor strongly recommended not removing the booster spring. His reasoning is PCNA could void related warranty work if needed should I make any modifications. Guess the prudent thing is to wait and see what their techs say first. If they can't fix or improve it I'll make the mod and document it.

Frustrated as I really want to drive it but it's such a pain to start in first from a stop. We'll see.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 PM
ttcurves
AutoX

Took my car to Hendrick Porsche today to have clear film installed and the pedal looked at. Tech removed the booster spring for me (no charge) and couldn't be happier. Finally the pedal has some feel and resistance to it - The feel is quite stiff, take up is lower in the pedal travel and it took a little getting used to but I love it. To me, this is how a clutch pedal should feel. Wanted to document the removal process for anyone else interested but didn't have the opportunity. I can say it was a simple procedure as many have stated. Sounds like the tech removed the dash panel and simply pulled the spring canister out.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:45 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Bingo. Thanks for your final post on this thread. I removed the spring on my 996 because of squeaking. I hate the clutch on my 987. It literally has twice the throw of the one on my Lotus Elise and feels like it belongs on a Cadillac or Lincoln. I have put the surgery on my service list and can't wait to actually feel the clutch. I didn't know Porsche still used this technology. If anyone is interested, writeups are on this forum or others in the 996 section. If I find them I will link here. As I remember it is not a difficult operation but takes a little contortioning and brute strength to compress the spring (I think). Oh anyone else finds the link? Feel free to post it here.

Quick Reply: Clutch Booster Spring