Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Cayman S Replacement battery advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:31 PM
nccaymans
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Cayman S Replacement battery advice

My factory battery of 4+ years recently gave up the fight, so I've been looking for a replacement. Autozone show one, a Duralast Gold, as a direct replacement..... of which my local store is out of stock, and a Duralast Platinum. The Platinum has more CCA and is slightly longer. I'm inclined to go with the Platinum. Terminals are correct and the side vents are there.
However, while it is slightly longer than the original equipment, it does fit the battery tray, BUT, the relevant securing clamp hole at the far left of the tray seems to be a wider diameter and is not threaded. The hole in the clamp piece itself will accommodate a larger bolt and everything looks like it will fit fine.

Does anyone have experience or advice with this? Is the battery a safe, good choice, or would you recommend an alternative. I'm not a fan of the factory batteries. Does the increase CCA have any adverse effects on the electrics? Am I ok with the battery mount adjustment?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Dave DE
Racer

I went with a slightly longer than stock battery when my OEM one failed. The hole in the battery tray can be filled with a nut-sert, a threaded insert that press fits into the hole. The factory bolt threads into it just like at the stock location. I got the nut-sert from mcmaster-carr.

Dave
Old 02-07-2011, 03:51 PM
nccaymans
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Dave DE
I went with a slightly longer than stock battery when my OEM one failed. The hole in the battery tray can be filled with a nut-sert, a threaded insert that press fits into the hole. The factory bolt threads into it just like at the stock location. I got the nut-sert from mcmaster-carr.

Dave
Many thanks, Dave. Great idea. I looked at the mcmaster-carr website. I don't suppose you still have a part number on hand do you?
Thanks a lot.
Rich
Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Dave DE
Racer

I looked in the garage and couldn't turn up one of the nut serts. I had better luck finding my order confirmation. Turns out I ordered from MSC:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MTERM=82141987

Another alternative is to use a group 48 battery, which is a bit shorter than stock. On my '06 there was an insert already present at that location.

Dave
Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I just purchased a WalMart EverStart battery based on great reviews from other Cayman owners. Perfect fit, correct physical size and hooks to OEM vent tube.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Doc Steve2
Cruisin'

Duralast gold has an 8 yr warranty pro-rated / 3yr no questions asked replacement. Holes in tray allow smaller battery FYI in case you want to go for a Gel type. I'm happy with the duralast gold.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Currently doing a Optima battery Grp buy. You can now buy any red or yellow top battery for 30% to 40% discounted price. You will receive a gift cert for one battery.. You can then email the cert to Optima . Shipping is free anywhere in the continental U.S.

Optima will ship to you direct within 7 to 10 days. The certs expire 12/31/11.

Best to measure your current battery and then select a good fit from the Optima spec page.

All proceeds go to benefit the 944 Cup race series.

Dave Derecola
National Director
944 Cup
www.44cup.com

Quick Reply: '07 Cayman S Replacement battery advice