Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattle in defrost vent passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Brad W
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rattle in defrost vent passenger side

2008 Cayman S
without breaking anything, how do you remove the vent?
If someone put pressure on the vent as I drive the rattle stops. I dont want to take it to the shop and have them tear into the dash, That could end up with more rattles to find.
Thanks
Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 PM
FunkyJunk
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this:

http://www.planet-9.com/attachments/...0x955.shkl.jpg
Old 01-06-2011, 06:50 PM
waweeks
Track Day

Brad - just went through this myself. One change to the instructions referenced above: In order to disengage the top release of the directional vent, I had to do the following -

1) using a small trim tool or taped flathead screwdriver, pop off the small triangular vent cover on top of the dash just above the directional vent.
2) there, you will see a u-shaped irregularity in the triangular dash cutout for the vent, insert the small screwdriver there and release the directional vent top catch from the top.

you may have to dislodge some of the foam seal (easily stuffed back into place) to get the screwdriver in the right place. use a bright flashlight to watch the catch through the directional vent so you'll know when you've found the right spot from above. press firmly to engage the catch and pull the directional vent out.

i also removed every dash trim piece to the right of the glovebox that i could

once in there, there's a small wire attached to the directional vent that runs back towards the firewall. I wraped this entirely in felt (adhesive backed pieces from home depot). also made sure the part of the air duct the directional vent presses into was firmly seated into the next piece of ducting towards the center of the car. put a few other pieces of felt on the plastic duct piece that looked to be nearly contacting other parts. The directional vent itself had no play in any of the moving pieces i did nothing to it.

so far - no reoccurance of the rattle, which as you described stopped when pressed against. i think it was the wire rattling against the piece of plastic ducting.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:58 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Just found this:

Description: I finally fixed the rattle that's been aggravating me for the past several weeks. User SaveChief found the source of the rattle in a previous post, but didn't update his thread with a how-to or any postmortem. I'll do that here.

The fix is really easy (requires no tools at all), and I wasted a lot of time messing around with the passenger-side vent and the cupholder assembly trying to find the source. The rattle is indeed where SaveChief thought it was, where the plastic vent tube leading from the passenger-side vent connects to the ventilation system. The tubes become disconnected, and the vent-side tube rattles against fixtures behind the glovebox.

To get to the rattle, open the passenger door and pull on the bottom of the trim piece to the right of the glovebox. The piece will pull out fairly easily - it's only held in by some tension clips.

Once you've pulled that piece out, pull out the the plastic trim piece to the right of the piece you just removed. It attaches by two tabs that slot in behind the rubber door seal, and a tension clip at the front of the item. Pull it out of the tension clip, and pull toward the back of the car. Again, this item pulls out fairly easily.

Now you'll be able to see the source of the problem. The black plastic vent tubes that connect to each other right behind the aluminum support brace will probably have come loose from each other. Simply push the vent tube on the right into the one on the left securely. Then use some duct tape or other solution to seal them up so they won't come loose again.

At this point, I also wrapped some felt tape around the wire that hangs in front of the vent tubes, as I felt (ha!) that it would also help prevent any potential rattles. You can just pull the wire out a bit in order to get the tape on it.

So that's it! Just snap the two trim pieces back into place in the reverse order you removed them, and you're done. So far, my rattles in this area are gone and I'm much relieved. Also, I know that if I hear the rattle again I can get to it on the spot with no tools needed.
Keywords: rattle, vent, dash, fix
Sponsor Website: (if applicable): None
Link to Forum Topic about this item: (if applicable): http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...oard-vent.html

FunkyJunk

Porsche Enthusiast Posts: 178
see this user's products

Quick Reply: rattle in defrost vent passenger side