Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor / Caliper Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:16 PM
stuartjar
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor / Caliper Replacement

This is the first time I am changing my rotors on my 2005 987 Boxster myself. I have watched some videos and the only question I have is can I reuse the caliper bolts. Most say to replace them every time you take off the calipers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Most say you should change the bolts. When I did the change on my tracked Cayman I reused the existing bolts. No issues. The new bolts have a Torx head so I you change bolts, you will need to buy a new socket.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartjar
This is the first time I am changing my rotors on my 2005 987 Boxster myself. I have watched some videos and the only question I have is can I reuse the caliper bolts. Most say to replace them every time you take off the calipers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Generally the factory manuals require the bolts be replaced. They're not stretch bolts so that's not the reason.

The reason is the new bolts come with a factory (bolt factory) applied dry lubricate that ensures the bolt when tightened does not introduce extra friction that makes the torque read higher than it actually is.

The new bolts with their lubricate also protect the threads in the calipers which are made of aluminum.

Price new caliper bolts and then new calipers and see which you'd rather replace: Bolts or calipers.

It has been a while since I've done the brakes on my cars - though both are getting close to need brakes so it won't be too much longer... -- but used to be Porsche offered a brake kit one kit per axle that IIRC contains all new brake hardware: pad retainer, retainer pin, spring clip, new flat head counter sunk screws that are used to hold the rotors in place when the wheels are removed and new caliper bolts.

One had to buy the pads and rotors separately but the rest of the brake hardware was contained in the kit.

Oh, I think the wear sensors had to be bought separately too.

Given a set of brakes last upwards of 30 to 50K miles a new kit (price a couple of years ago less than $50 per axle) seems cheap compared to what the cost can be from reusing critical hardware.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:11 PM
stuartjar
AutoX

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Most say you should change the bolts. When I did the change on my tracked Cayman I reused the existing bolts. No issues. The new bolts have a Torx head so I you change bolts, you will need to buy a new socket.
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your input. I think I am good to go! I'll be swapping out rotors and pads next weekend in preparation for my next track day in January.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:13 PM
stuartjar
AutoX

Hi Macster,

Thanks for your input. I think I am good to go! I'll be swapping out rotors and pads next weekend in preparation for my next track day in January. Both you and Bill were a help.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 AM
stuartjar
AutoX

Hi Bill & Macster,

New front rotors and brakes all around. I did use the existing bolts and will update this thread if I have any negative issues. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Rotor / Caliper Replacement