Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)

whine from the rear of a cayman

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010 | 05:04 PM
swifty117
3rd Gear

Default whine from the rear of a cayman

I bought a new 07 Cayman and have done only 9K miles. Shortly after its first service at the dealer it developed a whine from the engine and/or manual transmission. It only shows up when I make a very slow turn - like in a parking lot. When I park after this, the noise can be faintly heard from the idling motor. Any ideas? I haven't taken it to a dealer yet because the nearest one is > 2hrs away.

Thanks in advance for any useful ideas.

Swifty
Old 12-12-2010 | 11:39 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

It may be the Power Steering pump. Notoriously problematic. Do you track the car? If so, it is evern more likely that this is the culprit. Check the fluid level.

Cheers,
Old 12-16-2010 | 06:52 PM
swifty117
3rd Gear

Default thanks for the advice

Krokodil,

I think you are absolutely correct. When I pay very close attention to the noise and when exactly it occurs, it is entirley consistent with a power steering pump issue. I can increase the whine, just sitting stationary but pulling on the steering wheel.

A couple of other questions...How can I check the fluid level, everything is sealed off except from below I guess. Second, how much do these pumps cost to replace. I have a feeling that is what I will have to do.

I don't track the car.

Thanks again.

JW
Old 12-17-2010 | 01:27 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swifty117
Krokodil,

I think you are absolutely correct. When I pay very close attention to the noise and when exactly it occurs, it is entirley consistent with a power steering pump issue. I can increase the whine, just sitting stationary but pulling on the steering wheel.

A couple of other questions...How can I check the fluid level, everything is sealed off except from below I guess. Second, how much do these pumps cost to replace. I have a feeling that is what I will have to do.

I don't track the car.

Thanks again.

JW
First, if the car is still under warranty the dealer will replace at no costs. Othewise I supect it is a few hundred for the pump, a couple of hunderd for whatever hoses are leaking (very likley) and several hours labor.

To access you must remove the carpet on top of the engine, remove the aluminum engine cover, and then remove the cap on the fluid resevoir (forward part of the engine bay).

Cheers,
Old 12-29-2010 | 10:22 PM
swifty117
3rd Gear

Default noise fixed

Thanks Krokodil for the advice. The pump fliud level was low - added some CHF 11S and the noise has gone. Car is still under warranty so now I will take it to the dealer to find and fix the leak.

Swifty

Quick Reply: whine from the rear of a cayman