Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a base Cayman w/Tip

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 PM
FilthyF14
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Adding a base Cayman w/Tip

I drive an '02 Boxster S and considering adding a Cayman with a tiptronic tranny to the garage for my wife. Though she doesn't drive with as much 'enthusiasm' as I do, she's no slouch but prefers the auto tranny. Question is if she/we/I would be disappointed with the performance a base '07 Cayman compared to the Boxster S? Similar HP but less torque. Or should I keep looking for an S? The Boxster may become a track car some day (eventually replacing my E36 M3) but the Cayman would only be used getting to the track and only if she'll give me the keys!
Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Cayman with PDK

added a 2010 Cayman with PDK 5 months ago
8000 miles later can't say enough about the car and the PDK...it's grrreat!

around 25-26 mpg for daily driver
we've both autocrossed it
she says she prefers the 07 Cayman S, 6-speed, but think the PDK is her choice for DD
I'm not missing the 6-speed or the extra 30 horses after driving PDK

not much help with the Tip but used 09-10 PDK something else to consider

Originally Posted by FilthyF14
I drive an '02 Boxster S and considering adding a Cayman with a tiptronic tranny to the garage for my wife. Though she doesn't drive with as much 'enthusiasm' as I do, she's no slouch but prefers the auto tranny. Question is if she/we/I would be disappointed with the performance a base '07 Cayman compared to the Boxster S? Similar HP but less torque. Or should I keep looking for an S? The Boxster may become a track car some day (eventually replacing my E36 M3) but the Cayman would only be used getting to the track and only if she'll give me the keys!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Big difference between the 09 base and the 07 base. I had an 07 base Cayman with a manual, and it was fun, loved to rev, etc. A tiptronic would be death to that car - it would not make the best use of that car's narrow powerband. I'd either get a manual 07 or find an 09 w/PDK. Good luck with your decision!

Just noted you have an E36 M3 - the base Cayman I had reminded me VERY much of the E36 M3 in it's power delivery, torque, etc. They are very comparable in feel (obviously not the chassis).
Old 11-16-2010, 10:36 PM
FilthyF14
Instructor

if the base Cayman compares to my E36 M3 I'll like it! The M3 has several track mods that make it feel quicker than my Boxster S. Begining to think I won't want to trade the torque feel in my S for the base Cayman - but need to remember this will be my wife's ride and she'll be comparing to the acceleration of her 2000 Durango 4.7L V-8!
Thanks!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yep - It likes to rev, but stick to a manual!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by FilthyF14
Test drive both examples and make up your own minds. Generally a car with higher torque is easier to drive but a Tip mitigates a bit less torque. And the difference is not that great so I doubt the difference would be noticable/significant. But you need to test drive both examples because well, just because.

Also, must point out the obvious, if neither one of you is a big fan of top down driving the hardtop (Cayman) over the Boxster is the better choice. With the Cayman you still have that very sweet mid-engine handling but sans the complexity and expense of a soft top. While the tops are relatively durable and the opening/closing mechanism robust it can go wrong. The less hardware on a car the better.

Happy shopping!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 PM
FilthyF14
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback and will certainly drive a Cayman base and S - with tip - before deciding. Plan to keep the Boxster for me because I do like to drop the top, the 6-speed and the extra performance of the S. The Cayman would be primarily for my wife so performance not as much an issue. Think I can swing an -06-07 Cayman - maybe an S - without selling the Boxster - but the other options of an '09 PDK would mean selling the Boxster. Then I'd lose the fight over the keys on the remaining P-car!

Quick Reply: Adding a base Cayman w/Tip