Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it safe to use a jack and jackstands on new Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Is it safe to use a jack and jackstands on new Boxster?

I was looking at the Pelican tech stuff on placing an Boxster on jack stands and the cars in the pics are nothing like my 2011. The new one has 4 jacking points and the entire undercarriage is flat. Looks like it would only be safe to use a jack at these points then there is no where to place a jack stand. I think it is set up for use for changing a tire or putting on a lift only. Guess I'll only be doing an oil change at home with ramps and not much else. They are making more and more cars almost impossible to work on for the DIY types If I sell my 944 I might as well get rid of all my tools.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:19 AM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dryslick13
I was looking at the Pelican tech stuff on placing an Boxster on jack stands and the cars in the pics are nothing like my 2011. The new one has 4 jacking points and the entire undercarriage is flat. Looks like it would only be safe to use a jack at these points then there is no where to place a jack stand.
I thought the same thing about my 2005 987, but, I've found that when I jack up the car at any of the jack points the frame is stiff enough that the other end of the car comes up high enough off of the ground to get a jack stand under the opposite jack point, e.g., jack up the rear driver side, put a jack stand under the front driver side jack point, lower the rear, switch sides and repeat. I imagine the same is true of the 2011 987.

Jason
Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoxny
I thought the same thing about my 2005 987, but, I've found that when I jack up the car at any of the jack points the frame is stiff enough that the other end of the car comes up high enough off of the ground to get a jack stand under the opposite jack point, e.g., jack up the rear driver side, put a jack stand under the front driver side jack point, lower the rear, switch sides and repeat. I imagine the same is true of the 2011 987.

Jason
What he said ^^^^.

And for oil change with ramps.. you need to have a low profile ramps... The back bumper will not clear standard rhino ramps.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Dryslick13
I was looking at the Pelican tech stuff on placing an Boxster on jack stands and the cars in the pics are nothing like my 2011. The new one has 4 jacking points and the entire undercarriage is flat. Looks like it would only be safe to use a jack at these points then there is no where to place a jack stand. I think it is set up for use for changing a tire or putting on a lift only. Guess I'll only be doing an oil change at home with ramps and not much else. They are making more and more cars almost impossible to work on for the DIY types If I sell my 944 I might as well get rid of all my tools.
If I had the room I'd get a small lift that raises the entire car off the floor high enough to get under.

I don't like using a jack to raise just one corner cause I don't like to twist the car that much. I know it probably gets twisted on the road but still...

Also, most jacks do not any protection and the metal to undercoating (more than just undercoating, special paint) damages the special paint and can give a place for corrosion to start.

When you take the car to a dealership for service look at the lifts and the lift plates. The plates have a heavy rubber pad that protects the car's underbody finish.

For those times I do need to jack up the car, when I do the brakes, I have two Boxster scissors jacks and use one under the corner I want to work on and the other I use to raise the other side a bit to limit the amount of twist. And I only raise the car high enough to clear the tire off the pavement.

For oil/filter services I've used Rhino Ramps and backed the car up on the ramps. Be sure you get the low profile ones that fit under/clear the rear bumper. (They will not fit under/clear the front bumper though.)

I just back the car up on the ramps and have the oil changed in no time.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are made to lift one side at a time. Just like jfoxny said. It's not difficult.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:59 PM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) Buy an aluminium race-style jack - you can find them on sale for $50 at Harbor Freight or if you don't like the quality get one at Sears or **** away hundreds at Griots Garage. The important thing is to have a low profile jack.
2) Duct tape all the nuts and bolts on the jack so they don't loosen up over time
3) Buy a hockey puck and use it as a rubber bumper between the jack and the jacking point.
Extra credit hint. If you are going to be using jack stands, place them at the standard jacking point an put your jack at the alternate jack point near the rear wheel (its in the manual)
Old 11-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Mental Junkyard
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you know someone with some scrap metal and a good welder, it's relatively easy to modify a set of jackstands to fit those jack points. You could even make a foot that would fit your jack with a hefty pin that fits in the jack point hole. No more sliding jacks and stands.

Quick Reply: Is it safe to use a jack and jackstands on new Boxster?