Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Downgraded" from 996 C2 - couldn't be happier!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Han Solo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from 924S/944 series cars to Cayman S has only been a life changing experience for me. Not only do I get to enjoy driving an attractive and modern car for my commute but there's the satisfaction of outstanding auto cross times in SCCA AS class.

And then there was the added benefit of meeting a stunning and personable new girlfriend...
Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BimmFiniti
Just last week I switched Porsches: from a 2002 911 to a 2007 Cayman S.

OMG, what a difference! I struggled with the 996's (lack of) balance and floaty suspension and was never that impressed with the steering response. The Cayman "nails" all of those areas. I own a BMW 330i, too, and my Cayman is the best car I've ever driven.

I have found the right Porsche for me! My theoretical downgrade is a huge upgrade in my books!
Bimm, Looking at the photo in your sig it's pretty clear that your Cayman does not have a stock US suspension. Did your 996 have the same suspension mods as your Cayman?
Old 11-24-2010, 01:19 AM
BimmFiniti
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ray S
Bimm, Looking at the photo in your sig it's pretty clear that your Cayman does not have a stock US suspension. Did your 996 have the same suspension mods as your Cayman?
No, my 996 had the base, US suspension. Very disappointing, actually. I tracked the 996 one time and it was very hard to deal with: too much float and hard to control, particularly in S-curves.

I actually don't know what's been done to the Cayman: I bought it a month ago and there was no information on any suspension mods. I just put new tires on it (PS2s, ouch!) and the shop didn't think it had been lowered, but I don't think they're right. It doesn't seem to be @ stock height.

It rides really low and tight and looks cool (IMO, of course!), so I'm happy
Old 11-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BimmFiniti
No, my 996 had the base, US suspension. Very disappointing, actually. I tracked the 996 one time and it was very hard to deal with: too much float and hard to control, particularly in S-curves.

I actually don't know what's been done to the Cayman: I bought it a month ago and there was no information on any suspension mods. I just put new tires on it (PS2s, ouch!) and the shop didn't think it had been lowered, but I don't think they're right. It doesn't seem to be @ stock height.

It rides really low and tight and looks cool (IMO, of course!), so I'm happy
So in fairness you are really making an apples and oranges comparison, as just looking at pictures of you Cayman it's very obvious it's not stock.

I own both a 996 and a 986 and I have had them both stock and now both are modified. In my opinion while the stock 996 US suspension has a huge amount of room for improvement, the stock Boxster/Cayman setup (while better than the 996) also still leaves a lot on the table.

For outright handling, I'd agree than the Boxster/Cayman platform with its mid-engine weight distribution and longer wheelbase is superior. However driving both on the track you can really see that each has its advantages and disadvantages. The 911 has the Boxster/Cayman beat on braking and corner exit where its weight distribution gives it an edge and the Boxster comes out ahead on quick transitions and long radius turns (the carousel at Road America comes to mind).

In my mind it's a bit of a toss up between the two as I really enjoy both. At the track I prefer the Boxster as it's a more natural handler, but I will admit that if I induce oversteer in both cars the 911 is easier to "catch". While the Boxster is by no means an easy car to spin, once it starts that low polar moment works against your corrections a bit.

Congrats on your Cayman!! It is indeed a beautiful car and while I agree that a lot of 911 guys unfairly denigrate the Cayman I think it's one of the finest cars Porsche has ever produced.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:02 AM
BimmFiniti
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ray S
So in fairness you are really making an apples and oranges comparison, as just looking at pictures of you Cayman it's very obvious it's not stock....
You may be right. I suspect I would have liked my 996 a lot more with a firmer suspension. I was seriously considering going to an ROW M030 setup until I drove the Cayman.

Even if my Cayman S isn't quite stock (which I don't know definitively), I suspect I'm more of a Cayman "guy" and would prefer it in stock form over the 996. I like the balance and improved steering response of the mid-engine. It would be interesting to drive a modified-suspension 996, tho'...

Thanks for the comments on my new addition.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:37 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is SUCH a better car...

Quick Reply: "Downgraded" from 996 C2 - couldn't be happier!