Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cayman interseries race question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:33 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cayman interseries race question.

Evening. I wanted to toss this out there and see what kind of responses it generates.

I was at Sebring/HSR this weekend running my Interseries Cayman. A nice field of about 18,20 cars. Pretty awsome weekend.

Anyway, at the drivers meeting we had a discussion about the future of the series, and where the drivers want it to go. One of the ideas which was discussed was opening up the field to Gen1 or other Caymans.. sort of like the Platinum and Gold classes in Patron GT3, etc.

The Series, it appears , is currently tied into HSR as we get a pretty good amount of track time, and HSR lets us race strong and treats us pretty dang good. plus we can get like 2 sprint races and 2 fat enduros often.

Anyway, my question i guess is...if they opened up the Series to a "gold" class, Gen1 caymans race prepped to a certain standard (i'd imagine PCA or SCCA standards would be sufficient from a safety perspective, though not sure how the mods/upgrades would flow)....would you guys be interested?

total hoot being out there with a huge class of caymans on some really neat tracks, mixed in with some gorgeous historics being allowed to race hard without fear of getting a 13 for rubbing someones bumper.

20 cars was cool . 40 would be wicked .

Anyway, just curious what you guys think??
Old 10-24-2010, 07:51 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Cayman Interseries

any pictures of the field?

is Cayman Interseries locked in to HSR for next year?

rumor was they were going to PCA Club Racing next year, think that would be a great idea
more exposure for the rest of the country
would love to see an Interseries race in Texas

even better, how about part of ALMS/ or Grand Am

Originally Posted by spg993tt
Evening. I wanted to toss this out there and see what kind of responses it generates.

I was at Sebring/HSR this weekend running my Interseries Cayman. A nice field of about 18,20 cars. Pretty awsome weekend.

Anyway, at the drivers meeting we had a discussion about the future of the series, and where the drivers want it to go. One of the ideas which was discussed was opening up the field to Gen1 or other Caymans.. sort of like the Platinum and Gold classes in Patron GT3, etc.

The Series, it appears , is currently tied into HSR as we get a pretty good amount of track time, and HSR lets us race strong and treats us pretty dang good. plus we can get like 2 sprint races and 2 fat enduros often.

Anyway, my question i guess is...if they opened up the Series to a "gold" class, Gen1 caymans race prepped to a certain standard (i'd imagine PCA or SCCA standards would be sufficient from a safety perspective, though not sure how the mods/upgrades would flow)....would you guys be interested?

total hoot being out there with a huge class of caymans on some really neat tracks, mixed in with some gorgeous historics being allowed to race hard without fear of getting a 13 for rubbing someones bumper.

20 cars was cool . 40 would be wicked .

Anyway, just curious what you guys think??
Old 10-24-2010, 08:49 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

You know my answer...

Halving the entry cost (Prep 06 vs. Prep New Cayman S), for sure will increase participation initially of the few that have a vested interest like me (already own a Race 06) plus the ones who do most of their own Racecar-prep work.
However, running costs would be the same, so what needs to happen is for the original Interseries cars to depreciate and trade hands (just like GTC classes in PCA) and you will start having big Cup-Car like fields in 3 years.

But the #1 driver for future participation is being part of a ProSeries. That will definitively increase the pool of cars that will be available (just like cup cars and GS GrandAm cars) for Club Racers going forward.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the idea that all the Gen2 Interseries Caymans were bought new, and similarly race prepared by the same people at the same shop, but with each car having a unique historical livery. My current thinking is that the series would lose some of its attractive uniqueness if it were to include Gen1 cars, even running in a separate class.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:21 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

You know my answer...

Halving the entry cost (Prep 06 vs. Prep New Cayman S), for sure will increase participation initially of the few that have a vested interest like me (already own a Race 06) plus the ones who do most of their own Racecar-prep work.
However, running costs would be the same, so what needs to happen is for the original Interseries cars to depreciate and trade hands (just like GTC classes in PCA) and you will start having big Cup-Car like fields in 3 years.

But the #1 driver for future participation is being part of a ProSeries. That will definitively increase the pool of cars that will be available (just like cup cars and GS GrandAm cars) for Club Racers going forward.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Certainly open.

This is something we have envisioned from the begining of CaymanSpec (race prepped Gen 1 Caymans S). We have made provisions is the CaymanSpec regulations to allow for Gen2 / Interseries cars to run with us in the POC if any find their way out west.

CaymanSpec is a slightly different level of prep, but we can certainly make it work. No need to create another spec, we can just create equivalency for the two we already have.

That said, I understand Jim's perspective. Interseries is for a different buyer (more arrive and drive type it appears), which is one reason why we created CaymanSpec for the more typical club racer.

Cheers,

ps - CSR #3 on track today at California Speedway. Spend a couple of sessions working with the happy owner
Old 10-25-2010, 10:28 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats awsome that you have a growing spec out west for the cars.
the one thing we can agree on for sure is that the cayman platform is an incredible platform for racing. i just loved my boxster S race car. and my interseries car is just fantastic. while there are obviously some small items that i'd like to see spec'd differently, i gotta say that napelton has done a terrific job engineering the spec car. and in particular has really been exceptional when it comes to the ECU programming as it relates to problems with pasm/traction control, torque and throttle response. the car is a beast.

i will also say that one of the best things about the interseries, in my humble opinion is the quality of the drivers, and the way that HSR lets us race. this weekend i think there were 4,5 pro drivers..some ex-pro "legend" guys.. some wicked fast talented gentlemen drivers with decades of experience. we sort of had our own universe within HSR. everyone was so friendly and had such a good time. we battled HARD and yet there was a ton of respect, noone would pinch you off, but noone was giving anything away either. i learned so much this weekend just hanging with the pros and sucking up tips, etc.

as it relates to arrive/drive....id say about 1/2 the cars are arrive and drive cars. napelton does a terrific job with the cars at a cost effective rate. some guys have other cars they race elsewhere and just leave the car with the series haulers, so its fresh and ready to go for the season-long series.
me? i m going to hammer my car where-ever and whenever i can. i just love that thing.

ill toss up some photos of my car plus another one that travels with us.
my livery is the 936.001 black widow. raced in group 6, won everything. was black as night;2 races in porsche demanded they repaint it white. thing was a stud.

anyway, i love the idea of the series, yet i believe that mroe cars on track helps in 100different ways.

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Certainly open.

This is something we have envisioned from the begining of CaymanSpec (race prepped Gen 1 Caymans S). We have made provisions is the CaymanSpec regulations to allow for Gen2 / Interseries cars to run with us in the POC if any find their way out west.

CaymanSpec is a slightly different level of prep, but we can certainly make it work. No need to create another spec, we can just create equivalency for the two we already have.

That said, I understand Jim's perspective. Interseries is for a different buyer (more arrive and drive type it appears), which is one reason why we created CaymanSpec for the more typical club racer.

Cheers,

ps - CSR #3 on track today at California Speedway. Spend a couple of sessions working with the happy owner
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: cayman interseries race question.